Atreides Ornithopters

Dominic

I've never seen a launcher in action cuz in later missions I always build a Missile Turret ASAP to get rid of those Ornis (they crushed me very bad the first time, argh!), but this screenie definitely shows a Launcher attack an Orni (although it seems to be a demo/beta screenshot):

Dune_2_screenshot_attack_on_base.jpg

Yeah well i'm 100% sure it fires in my version. But it just isn't the best orni killer you can get. Rocket turrets are better. And yes.. in the early game those ornithopters can crush your forces pretty badly.

Uh, the disagreement was over whether troopers can fire, not about missile tanks.

Yep, but I used to think for a long time that no units could actually fire at ornis in Dune 2, only Missile Turrets.

do u playe on line?

If you mean Dune 2, there's no oficial multiplayer mode. Although I've heard of an unofficial multiplayer patch for Dune 2, I dunno whether it does exist or not. Or if it can be acquired somewhere by now ???

• 4 months later...

Bumping badly, but...

There is no networking patch for dune 2. Have been searching for it over 5 years. Heard about it too, but there is NONE. I did find a 'crack' once,  by a group with a name "network" or something. (or the word "network" is in their name somehow). There is no networking gaming possible in DUNE 2 itself. It would require reverse enginering the game, building it again and then add network possibility. Something easier is rewriting the game from scratch like Dune Legacy or D2TM try to do.

• 3 years later...

I'm 100% sure Missile Turrets hit 'thopters, but not sure about Launchers and Troopers. Think Troopers couldn't hit air units in Dune II, as well as in Dune2k.

I have to apologize for the somewhat incorrect information I have provided - it was based on insufficient observation of Dune II unit behavior. In fact, all rocket/missile type weapons can target ornithopters, as Gobalopper pointed out. The trick is, that troopers, trooper squads and rocket launchers have problems targeting the fast 'thopters because of their slow turning speed, but they actively attack them anyway, even though they rarely have a chance to hit.

• 1 month later...

Troopers shoot thopters.. Wow... You learn a new thing everyday. Probably when thopters are around, troopers are never produced by player, so thats why I did not notice that. Works fine for me though. I am trying to make all kinds of infantry uncrushable except by harvesters and devastators. I am also planning to greatly increase the power need for misile turret. So misile tanks and troopers will be more viable against thopter. Thopter itself will be more viable, too.

More balancing... more...

I have to apologize for the somewhat incorrect information I have provided - it was based on insufficient observation of Dune II unit behavior. In fact, all rocket/missile type weapons can target ornithopters, as Gobalopper pointed out. The trick is, that troopers, trooper squads and rocket launchers have problems targeting the fast 'thopters because of their slow turning speed, but they actively attack them anyway, even though they rarely have a chance to hit.

Troopers are useful to destroy enemy carryalls where they are picking other units.Even if they can hit ornythopters,they made too few damage.

• 1 year later...