Wiki: influences on Herbert

Egeides

I just noticed that the Wikipedia article about Frank Herbert is only partially placing him into the context of different influences, and a section should be exclusively for that I guess (I think that any thinker should be put in such a context, should it be Kafka or Napoleon). I thought we could perhaps draw a little map of influences on the ideas he brought, and on what it does have an influence. I think that what influences an author, artist, philosopher and so on is often very interesting. This aspect is very interesting.

Join in as you wish.

Just out of my mind (eating time), for now, I see:

Carl Jung (?)

Fremen:

Islam and its birth

For environment:

Study of Dunes (for the US army?)

Ecology

Frank Herbert read only "classics" (an interview with Brian speaks about that, and I think it mentions he read much). Obviously Greek classics (Atreus is not Roman...)

Dune story similarities:

Lawrence of Arabia.

Not an exact parrellel, but he had to have been influenced by this story:

Sweeping epic about the real life adventures of T.E. Lawrence, a British major who unified Arab tribes and led them in the fight for independence from the Ottoman Turks in the 1920s.

Preferably, there is a need to be able to show that Herbert was effectively influenced. Also, there is a need to make the parallel with WHAT it influenced (what influenced the different philosophies within Dune? Where can wwe find parallels with Bible/Shakespeare?).

If we go on what we think, it will become less reliable. For example, I think there was a place saying that Herbert's Bene Gesserit was influenced by his Jesuit aunts...

There's also "LePetit"'s research or something like that... He was saying that little cues seen by the eye or whattever could make someone "guess" the other person's card in the hand for example. Herbert said he experienced that once apparently, guessing a whole deck of card for apparently no understood reason. (from an interview somewhere... with McNelly?)