An ORPG without Pay-2-Play monthly! (Guild Wars)

Acriku

You've heard right, there is an ORPG (Online Role Playing Game, similar to MMORPG but has differences) coming out called Guild Wars, and it comes out early this year. It is in alpha testing and is being worked out, but is almost finished (mostly polishing work). What type of game is it? Look here from the website http://www.guildwars.com/ :

What kind of game is Guild Wars?

Guild Wars is a competitive online role-playing game. Players can engage in cooperative group combat, in single player adventures, or in large head-to-head guild battles. Guild Wars is a mission-based game set in a stunning 3D fantasy world that offers full, integrated support for guilds. Because the team that is developing Guild Wars has had experience creating successful online game series such as Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo, the members are familiar with the complex issues surrounding online games, and are creating a game that's both easy to learn and compelling to play long term, and yet doesn

I must say that the BETA tests were very chaotic, and the fact that it was level based ( you went from level to level ) made it uninteresting.

I hope the retail version is not level based, and implements all the other missing features ( which obviously were missing because it was a BETA test... ).

Hey Cyborg, didn't know you were playing the alpha/best testing, that's cool. What do you mean level-to-level is uninteresting? EQI and II, WoWarcraft, etc, are all like that - or do you mean something else?

Davidu, the game is made to accomodate dial-up users as well and their testing shows that it runs well with dial-up. So, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I tried an open GW WPE a while ago. I hate to critisize it now because it only contained about 10% of the full game. Lots of places are reporting that GW will have some system which involves (IIRC, superficial) world changes when you complete specific quests in the game or whatever, but I never saw that, looking forward to another WPE with more content in it.

Looks good, but I hate the fact taht they want you to pay for every damn single expansion they will make. Doesnt look like they will make free updates, as I read.

Kinda Diablo-ish. If you like that kind of thing.

Hey Cyborg, didn't know you were playing the alpha/best testing, that's cool. What do you mean level-to-level is uninteresting? EQI and II, WoWarcraft, etc, are all like that - or do you mean something else?

I mean:

When you were done with a mission, you were put into the "gathering" area of the next mission, and so on and so forth.

You could, of course go back to the city, but I wouldn't want to be just put into the "gathering" area, but have to find it myself.

I mean:

When you were done with a mission, you were put into the "gathering" area of the next mission, and so on and so forth.

You could, of course go back to the city, but I wouldn't want to be just put into the "gathering" area, but have to find it myself.

You can find other areas on your own if you'd like. The game isn't just about the missions. One could walk from Ascalon city to Lion's Arch without doing a mission. Better yet, the whole map can be explored, without doing a mission. I don't see the point in your above argument. Btw, the ful game will also have the option to fight for castles with your guild. The guild that has ownership of such castle, even get's the town that's located with it and can raise taxes. The game is going to be much more then what you just described :)

Looks good, but I hate the fact taht they want you to pay for every damn single expansion they will make. Doesnt look like they will make free updates, as I read.

Kinda Diablo-ish. If you like that kind of thing.

No matter what game (apart from W:ET), you always have to pay for the expansion. Guild Wars is no different. Guild Wars will have "chapters", which one needs to buy. Each chapter is going to be huge. And the fact that you don't need to pay to play has to come out somewhere. Paying for expansion packs sounds business as usual to me.

Here are some screenies made by us during the Beta's...

You can find other areas on your own if you'd like. The game isn't just about the missions. One could walk from Ascalon city to Lion's Arch without doing a mission. Better yet, the whole map can be explored, without doing a mission. I don't see the point in your above argument.

My argument still stands. I don't like that you are just put in the gathering area of the next mission after completing the current one.

My argument still stands. I don't like that you are just put in the gathering area of the next mission after completing the current one.

There is no argument for you. It's either a gathering area (save haven), or you get to a town. The good thing is that at least you have something to fall back on when you either want to quit playing, or when you fail a mission. I'd love to see the complaint when people die in the 7th mission and have to start all over again. I'm starting to wonder what you would expect after completing a mission....

Yes, I've played all the tests, but you seem so interested in proving me wrong that you don't get what I'm saying.

What I mean is that there is a mission gathering area where you can form a party to enter a mission. That's fine, but if oyu succeed, you're put in the gathering area of the next mission instead of just returning and having to find the next mission on your own.