Civ3 & Conquests

bob_fox

I've just ordered Civilization III and its expansion pack, Conquests. I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Play the World is absolute rubbish, and, besides, Conquests comes with all of its features, units, civs, etc. It therefore adds 14 new civs, bringing the total up to 30 - I can't wait!

Who else here is a big Civ (or Sid Meier) fan? I hear Sid Meier's Pirates is on its way. They're also working on Civ4, but I think it's still in its early stages of development.

Civ4 is indeed still in early stage, but there is already some information on it available on the internet (try civfanatics.com)

I have Conquests too (never bought PTW, as it focused on multiplayer I didn't want) and it's pretty good, I think. They finally added the Dutch as a civ  :D

I like the Vikings (I played a little PTW) with their Beserk - cool unit! They were Militaristic and Expansionist, but they changed them in C3C to Militaristic and Seafaring, which I think was a smart move.

A big problem I have with the game, though, (perhaps they fixed it in C3C) is that ships don't play a big enough role. They should be much better at bombarding cities and units. That's why the English really suck in the game. They get an upgraded frigate - big deal!

If you go to http://www.civ4.com, you are automatically redirected to the Civ3 website, so it seems as if they're getting ready to set up a Civ4 homepage.

I've played Civilizations 1-3.  I've also played Call to Power.  Out of them I liked Civilization II the most, and still play it.  Civ III had too much micro, and Civ I was slow (Though look when it was released).  Call to Power was okay, I just never really got into it that much.  I have to say I enjoyed Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri for about a year before the repetitiveness of it all, even if you had been making fun prototypes.

I downloaded Civ1 the other day (hope nobody minds - it's abandonware). Could barely play it. I actually have to tell ALL my settlers what to do? NOOOO! Fine, in Civ2 you couldn't automate them either, but at least a patch fixed that.

Yeah, I think Civ2 was the best, considering the time in which it was made. I could play that game almost non-stop for days!

Civ 2 was great, Civ 3 is better in some ways I think (although probably inferior in others).  I like having real national borders like in Civ 3, and Alpha Centauri was GREAT (there is a reason that it is PC Gamer's highest rated game of all time!).  How is Call to Power different from the other Civ games?

How is Call to Power different from the other Civ games?

Call to Power isn't as good (at least, most say so). I played a little CTP2 and it was far too cluttered. It had many, many more units, buildings, wonders, government types, etc. than Civ2, but lacked the same finesse. It's interface wasn't nearly as "spotless".

I think Alpha Centauri was ingenious. A lot of research went behind it. 

• 2 weeks later...

For a certainty Civ3 is far more cluttered than either Civ1 or 2, but I think CTP2 is messy (I never played the first one).

I finally got the game (about a week ago)! I'm having fun! Got a lot of bugs, though - even after installing v1.22. They've done good work balancing the units, though the Korean unique unit still seems a bit useless. (The American and English ones have been improved.)

Play the World is absolute rubbish, and, besides, Conquests comes with all of its features, units, civs, etc. It therefore adds 14 new civs, bringing the total up to 30 - I can't wait!

Sorry, guys, I made a mistake. Conquests adds 15 new civs (8 from PTW, 7 from C3C itself), thus bringing the total up to 31. Just thought I'd make that correction.

Yeah, that's stupid. Of course, PTW was never sold here in SA. Good thing it wasn't though, or I might have bought it and that would really have been a waste of money.

Once I saw Dune 2000 and the classic Dune (by Cryo) selling for the same price in the same store! Actually, it was like that for quite a long time.

BTW - Have any of you ever played Galactic Civilizations? I haven't. What about MOO3?