* Reawakening Dune

* Worms of Dune

* God Emperores of Dune

* Dune: Legends

* Dune Revenant

* Dune: Saints & Gods

* Dune 7: Advent (Review)

Note, to BH and KJA:

This list should not be taken very seriously...

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Herbert's site has announced that he and Kevin J. Anderson will finishing the Dune saga based upon Frank's notes.  They will be dividing "book 7" into two books.

I'm eager, as I really want to know what happens next (who is hunting the Honored Mattres?), but I cringe, as B. Herbert and Anderson's Dune books are just horrible.  I tried to read Dune: Butlerian Jihad, but stopped after 180 agonizing pages.  I consider it, quite probably, the worst novel I have ever read.

know what bothers me though? a lot of people treat the prequels and their writing seriously because their books are so big, and even parse stories into a series. Now that amy sound good, but that is not a sign of quality, but of horribly poor editing and creativity. good gravy. as well as a lust for cash.lol

They spent those 3 or so years making the first prequels. (1 book a year)

If they had spent those 3 years to put out one prequel book (possibly 2) then I think the books would be much better. They wouldnt have to fill in lines with what happened the chapter/book before. :)

But they can't screw up dune 7 (and sadly 8)

They better spend more than a year each on the books and get it right.

Dune fans waited 15 years for it, I think they can wait a couple more for a good product.

I perosnaly like Brian's work, do you think it;s easy to wrtie under the condition, when thousands of fans are expecting him to be as good (identical) as his father  :-? Dune 7 ... that idea about long lost Omnius sentinels is great, I mean, some might have escaped into the outer fringes of the known universe and well..evolved into machine empire...who knows...But according to Chapterhouse, those "enemies" are something far far more than some A.I  ;)

yeah I hold the unpopular belief that they are face dancers, nothing exotic like a new alien race or old machines come back to life.

for all I know they could be coming up with something as stupid as the resurrected Titans coming back for vengance like some horribly cheesy wrestling match.lol

Yes, well one of the main points Brian made was that (spoiler from Chapterhouse):

[hide]Rakis may not have been destroyed by the Honoured Matres.  Although I thought it was stated pretty clearly that Teg had died when the Matres used their super-weapon to turn the planet into a glowing ball of slag.[/hide]

But I would guess there would be other settings as well, of course.

Yeah, I think after investing so much time and effort into six prequels, there will be a huge amount of prequel material in the final books of the Dune series. It makes sense that way.

It also makes sense, plot-wise, to have the thinking machines return from hunting the Honored Matres, though, I'm not looking foward to a man-machine battle.

And, if it's aliens, I'll just be disappointed. Dune was doing so well without them, it doesn't need them now.

[hide]I think the most interesting end to the series is to expand on the ending involving Marty and Daniel. Instead of Atreides ghloa, or a continuation of their line, why not bring in human beings who have transcended human existence? Or, why not bring in God again? The idea of God, the idea of perfect human leadership, has been one of the centerpiece themes to Dune. It would be appropriate to have it end that way. It would also make you think, as well. The Honored Matres are hunted by beings of their own creations, Face Dancers who've evolved into the new humans... a question of evolution, or a question of transcendance.[/hide]