newbie Emperor impressions

birdie

Bahah.

Play online and your perspective will change very quickly. Ordos and Hark? No advantage? GUNSHIPS.

Emperor is far, far more strategical and tactical than dune2k.

Once you understand how the game works - ie by playing a while online - you will realise the depth of it in time. It is truly amazing.

I second Mr Apollyon's opinion, online play is another world.

Being as you are, in America, which is around 5 hours behind (cough cough, ahem) GTM, I would suggest a good time to try for a game on XWIS would be around 5-7pm onwards your local time. Play online, see the difference between playing a computer and playing 5 other humans.

Enjoy.

Damn ! You would think I could spell dirrefernce  as difference, wouldn't you ?

The cut-scenes, indeed the entire single-player aspect of the game, became totally irrelevant to me the moment I set foot on WOL.

that is unless your only on WOL for a nice game of co-op. gotta reinstall Emp and find a good partner to co-op with, I really enjoy those.

I did enjoy the cut scenes. I cant believe they got the large guy from who's line is it anyway to be the Baron ;D

Read your post and i must admit that i disagree with you as well.

1. I think the cut scenes are realy good. I'm a european so i don't know any of the actors used, except for Micheal "Worf" Dorn. Also i liked the Sardaukar/tleilaxu scene a lot. Overall, very good scenes, just the fact that half way the game there are no more cutscenes bothers me.

2. When it comes to strategy this game is much better than dune2k methinks. More diversity in units, more advantages/disadvantages and i know that there are some realy good players online that can show you how strategically it can be. (don't ask me though, i'm one of your fellow newbies)

The cut-scenes are something I viewed the first time, thought, "oh, thats nice", and never bothered with again. If I want to see actors prancing about I would switch on my TV. I have the game, and play the game not for the quality of its cut-scenes, but for the gameplay and as Guns said, some of us have been hooked for years. The novilty of the cut-scenes would wear off very very quickly.

Online play is something you HAVE to do before you can give a complete opinion of this game. If you have not, I would urge you to try online play. Newbie or not, it is a whole lot better.

that is unless your only on WOL for a nice game of co-op. gotta reinstall Emp and find a good partner to co-op with, I really enjoy those.

I did enjoy the cut scenes. I cant believe they got the large guy from who's line is it anyway to be the Baron ;D

Bwahahaha..haha..HAHAHAHA.

i'm very suprised to see that all of you like the scenes.hmmmmm. true they are not exactly a big part of the game..especially in having already seen them but as a newbie they are a reflexion of the game. these scenes are pretty much the reward of going through it.  ..esp the fist time seeing them. so i'm alone in thinking they are overbudgeted good-looking crap.

i doubt i'll try to play online until i get better. yep i'm a bit competitive. it's a shame i came so late to have so few other new players.

^v^

you can't pop in and start off as a good player. Those things you learn online, not from fighting comps. So no matter how much you practice offline. You'll realy learn by playing online

Don't laugh guys, but I thought I was kinda good when I was playing offline against my brothers...

So when I went online, I thought, sure, I'll get beat, but I will beat some others too. Damn ! You can have more than one ref, and it is a good thing ? Doh !

Playing online is THE way to become a good player (still working on it myself). It took me many, many games to start beating anyone. You really should come online, lose a few games, and learn. Honest.

• 2 weeks later...

for the cutscenes: the mentat of house ordos rules :D i love her lips *g*

a question for online playing: does anybody know if I can use a cdkey from a german version to work with an english version of the game?

Don't laugh guys, but I thought I was kinda good when I was playing offline against my brothers...

So when I went online, I thought, sure, I'll get beat, but I will beat some others too. Damn ! You can have more than one ref, and it is a good thing ? Doh !

Playing online is THE way to become a good player (still working on it myself). It took me many, many games to start beating anyone. You really should come online, lose a few games, and learn. Honest.

I don't laugh. That happens to me all the time i try a new game online. Oh yeah! i just finished the campaign and i'm ready for mplayer... smack smack... what the... who thought of that cheesy strategy!!. It's always like that :P . I'm still sucky at Emperor. But when i played it online the first time I was beaten by airdrones. I was so mad about that strategy, I thought it was just super lame. (Still kinda upset about that strategy realy.. :) )

Its funny, but you mentioned that before, I am sure. A lasting mark on your poor mind. A scar even...

Oh, and thanks for not laughing. Although someones going to come along and go Haha like that guy from Simpsons. Probably Apollyon, thats his style.