Dune: House Atreides

TMA_1

Okay, I know that it is still pretty dumb in many ways, but while rereading it I realized it is actually a hell of a lot better than their other attempts at novels. Of course in House Atreides they still have many annoying habits. One that comes to my mind is how they totally lack subtility. For example they bring out an interesting story plot where Vladimir becomes fat because of a disease, and before this disease he was extremely good looking. Of course while reading before he gets this disease, they have to constantly drive home he is good looking and totally different than what you imagined. "He looked across the room with his chissled good looks and beautiful eyes". HELLO??? we have heard these little statements literally dozens of times, you only need to say it once or twice.lol

STill though it has a decent plot line nonetheless. I am not sure whether to thank Frank for that, or for Brian and Kevin, but I have noticed that it is a bit better than their other books.

what do you guys think?

*Fetches stethoscope and thermometer*

Are you feeling alright? Maybe you'd like to lie down? Can I get a cold drink maybe? Do you have a fever?

Honestly, prefering a prequel...

Though having said that, I do admit that the House books were far better than the chronicles have been so far. It's been a while since I've read them though so I can't make any detailed statements other than I seem to remember liking House Corrino least.

My favorite prequel is also House Harkonnen, though House Atreides isn't worse. House Corrino lacks Dune atmosphere and brings forth StarWars like action.

House Atreides does seem to be most Dunish out of the prequels. Because the plots and the actions there progress slowly.

Well I never thought that any of the House books were that bad, it was the Legends series that really let me down. And if you're talking about Dune feeling, I'm reading Dune Heretics at the moment, and I'm getting none of the old Herbert charm

Having just written that I've realised something. 99% of complaints against the book are something along the lines of "Brian ruined the series because his style of writing is totally betrays Frank Herbert's style" WELL DUH of course his style is goind to be different, and of course you're not going to like it if you think it's goind to be exactly the same as a book by Herbert Sr. You need to read the prequels as if you have never read a Dune book, judge it against other none-Dune books and make a decision on it that has absolutely no comparison to other Dune (or even other Herbert books). If the only quarrels are that Brian doesn't stay completely faithful to the Dune legacy, then he hasn't done too badly for himself.

Phew... Rant over. :D

yeah I know what you mean vanguard.lol

I am not saying iti s comparable to Franks books, but I am saying that it is the best out of the prequels as a whole to me personally.

Does that mean it is as good as the true Dune trilogies? NO! lol Dont assume that because it makes me look bad.lol I hope you guys see where I am coming from.

• 2 weeks later...

Stop making it sound like a bad thing to like the prequels. :-p Anyway, I would like to commend you for not going the brainless way and saying "the book sucks because of this one little thing". The truth is that they are critically acclaimed novels in their

own right.