Does anybody want to complete Dune Legacy?

MrFlibble

I mean, to make a final, 1.0 release. Although the current version is quite playable, there is still a number of things that could be improved, e.g.:

General:

- crude white menu buttons

- VERY HIGH game speed; some animation sequences like infantry movement, smoke from damaged vehicles and sand flowing from a harvester are too fast and thus rapid and look bad

- sand dunes don't lower the speed of units that move across them

- for some obscure reason, the Sardaukar picture is used to represent a Trooper

Gameplay:

- all houses are have the same technologies except for super weapons and special tanks, e.g. Ordos have Trikes and not Raiders, and can build Missile Launchers; all houses can build Ornithopters

- you can select three other houses, the Fremen, the Sardaukar and the Mercenary, but they seem to be similiar to the initial three houses

- the unit cost for units you can order from a Starport never varies (in Dune 2 it would vary approx between 65 and 125 percent of the initial cost), and there's never an 'out of stock' situation

- no graphics that would show the load progress of the superweapons

- carryalls don't permanently patrol the skies and don't carry damaged vehicles to repair yard and back to field when repaired

Graphics:

- the damage craters tend to permanently cover all other graphics, for instance, if some rocky area has craters, the crater graphics will remain even if you build some structure over that area

- windtrap's flag's color always remains red, no matter which color has it's owning player

- radar on the outpost doesn't rotate

- when tanks are moving, their turrets don't rotate to face the direction they move (as in the original Dune 2)

- some ground vehicles don't leave tracks on sand/spice

- no decay graphics for dead infantry

Map Editor:

- ability to save, open and load multiple maps

I suppose all those things would be easy to modify, won't they? I, for one, could make Dune 2-style buttons for menu and GUI.

• 1 month later...

I mean, to make a final, 1.0 release. Although the current version is quite playable, there is still a number of things that could be improved, e.g.:

General:

- crude white menu buttons

- VERY HIGH game speed; some animation sequences like infantry movement, smoke from damaged vehicles and sand flowing from a harvester are too fast and thus rapid and look bad

- sand dunes don't lower the speed of units that move across them

- for some obscure reason, the Sardaukar picture is used to represent a Trooper

Gameplay:

- all houses are have the same technologies except for super weapons and special tanks, e.g. Ordos have Trikes and not Raiders, and can build Missile Launchers; all houses can build Ornithopters

- you can select three other houses, the Fremen, the Sardaukar and the Mercenary, but they seem to be similiar to the initial three houses

- the unit cost for units you can order from a Starport never varies (in Dune 2 it would vary approx between 65 and 125 percent of the initial cost), and there's never an 'out of stock' situation

- no graphics that would show the load progress of the superweapons

- carryalls don't permanently patrol the skies and don't carry damaged vehicles to repair yard and back to field when repaired

Graphics:

- the damage craters tend to permanently cover all other graphics, for instance, if some rocky area has craters, the crater graphics will remain even if you build some structure over that area

- windtrap's flag's color always remains red, no matter which color has it's owning player

- radar on the outpost doesn't rotate

- when tanks are moving, their turrets don't rotate to face the direction they move (as in the original Dune 2)

- some ground vehicles don't leave tracks on sand/spice

- no decay graphics for dead infantry

Map Editor:

- ability to save, open and load multiple maps

I suppose all those things would be easy to modify, won't they? I, for one, could make Dune 2-style buttons for menu and GUI.

I downloaded the source and fixed the following things:

-Radar animates now

-Repair Bay animates when there is something being repaired

-Starport has varying prices, anywhere between 65% and 125%. Havent done 'out of stock' yet

-Only Atreides can get Ornithopters now

-Atreides cant build WOR

-Atreides can build barracks

-Harkonnen cant build barracks

-Added Ordos Raider, but i wasnt sure of the stats, so its just a fast trike atm (anyone know the proper stats for it? adding the raider also screws up any multiplayer map, so you'd have to create them again...)

-Fixed Trooper Icon

-Added speed penalty for travelling over dunes

Its not everything, but im hoping to keep at it for a while, see if i can get most of those things you listed working. I wasnt too sure of the tech tree's, ie, if ordos can build barracks and WOR or whatever, so hopefully thats all correct.

Also,

-the game speed can be modified by using - and + keys (for some reason, a lower 'speed' makes the game faster...)

-the extra 3 houses are just the normal 3 houses with different names, Fremen = Atreides, Saudukar = Harkonnen and Mercs = Ordos

If there are any other fixes, let me know and i'll do my best to fix them, but no guarantees, as I really dont know my way around the source just yet :)

I know that the refinery and starport 'lights' are supposed to change when a harvester is returning or a frigate is coming in, but im not sure how to do that yet :)

I'll either post the source here in a few days or submit it to the sourceforge cvs, depending on if i i can figure out how to submit to sourceforge :)

_Gumby

• 1 month later...

i can' compile it under linux:

lot of errors because linux is case sensitive,

example: Main.h is different from main.h

other errors about multi-definition of some classes

you can resolve them useing

#ifndef GUI_H

#def GUI_H

// class and other here

#endif

Good news for all using linux.

I did some changes to 0.92b2 so it can be compiled in linux und msvc correctly.

But some problems are new:

1. intro does not work anymore

2. campaign does not work in linux.

But we (me and Gumby) will have a look at that.

Well,

Don't use CVS at the moment, it first has to be fixed.

Stay tuned,

if there are any efforts I'll post it here.

i downloaded dunelegacy from cvs,

but i have some errors to compiling it, the first:

In file included from Menu.cpp:2:

sand.h:429: error: `BORDERTYPE*border' redeclared as different kind of symbol

/usr/include/curses.h:517: error: previous declaration of `int border(long

unsigned int, long unsigned int, long unsigned int, long unsigned int, long

unsigned int, long unsigned int, long unsigned int, long unsigned int)'

make: *** [Menu.o] Error 1

i'm trying to resolve it

Updated CVS:

new: Radarstatic animation if radar turns on or off.

fixed: Fast animation of sand from harvester, fast animation while smoking

fixed: Gamespeed is saved in savegames, so old savegames won't work anymore =(

fixed: bug which caused "exit to menu" crashing sometimes

discovered bug:

if you play a game with double buffer or fullscreen disabled and then load a savegame (of this game) with double buffer AND fullscreen, your color must no be the right one. (i saved atreides and got harkonnen)

but the radar points have the right color.

Workaround: Play, save and load with same settings of fullscreen and double buffer.

another bug:

prices aren't shown in linux

Should you need more GUI elements, just ask me ;)

Concerning the Dune music, I've done some work to identify the 'purpose' of the tracks, while they were originally given by numbers, and divided into 'peace', 'attack', 'victory' and 'defeat' by TonyD, while there are still more:

Mentat screen ambient music - 3 different tracks, one for each House;

3 house-special victory tracks (the one victory TonyD used is a final victory sequence);

Map selection screen ambient;

Also, I've tried to define the correlations between Dune2k and Dune2 tracks, although I'm not sure about some...[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Here u got it... The repair button (as always, in two modes: normal and pushed), also I've included the ingame settings menu with the switch sound/music on/off dialog, and the fog of war - TonyD planned to add it to DL.

As for the music scores, I didn't mean some are missing in the DL package, just there were more categories than TonyD divided the original score into (for example, he put the mentat tracks into the 'peace' category since he didn't plan to use mentat option, or map selection into 'attack'). If you wish, I'll post a table of correlations between old midi file names (e.g. Dune4 or Dune7_01) and the ones I renamed them into.[attachment archived by Gobalopper]