Paul, in the miniseries.

TMA_1

A lot of people pick on the actor that played paul in the dune miniseries, but I actually really liked his part. Though he was even a little too old for the part in my opinion, I see why they did it because iti s hard to find a really good teen actor these days. A lot of other factors as well, but I was actually pleased with his performance, what do you guys think?

Newman took flak for his protraying Paul as a whiney kid.  That was not Newmans fault, it was Harrisons, and he admits as much in interviews and the commentary.  It was his decision for Paul to be portrayed that way, not Newmans.  Once Paul chagned into Muad'dib, Newman really shined.  He played the part just as I had always pictured it, in both the third part of Dune and all of Children of Dune.

He should have kept his Scottish accent...  ;)

I thought he made a very good Muad'dib, and Paul wasn't that bad... What's really rather special though is that he managed to do rather well as all three of his 'personas,' these being Paul (which was alright), Muad'dib (better), and the Preacher (which I personally thought was very good).

the main actor must appear exceptionally matured when he plays Maudib.

obviously a teen actor would not be credible.

so i can accept both McLachlan and Newman as Paul.

but i fear a problem for GeOD and LetoII mutation:

* either CGI is used and the miniserie will not be emotional enough

* otherwise the miniserie may be too costly

One of the irritating things was the false American accent. I disliked the grumpy Paul, but if it wasn't his fault (as I can well believe from interviews with Harrison), then fair enough.

Well... Paul certainly wasn't American.. so I don't guess it matters. :P

FHD: Directors Cut owned. :) Everything was perfect except for the backdrops and some color problems (like when in garden in arrakeen palace and jessica and Liet are talking the colors get messed up (green or something))

I agree that he was best in COD as Muad'Dib. I know it's hard to have the same actor play a younger and an older character, but I really would have liked Paul to be a lot younger in the first one. I thought it was so cool when Paul was so mature and only age 15 or 16, in the book.

Alec Newman is an awesome actor, I'm glad they picked him. But maybe it's the director and story writers' fault if the movies are not so true to the books. Overall I enjoyed watching the miniseries, though. Especially COD, in which I thought the actors they chose for Leto and Ghanima were fantastic! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

You think that's bad?  I dug this up from a forum post I saw a long time ago.

Link

Paul: Alec Newman is pretty good.

Duke Leto: Tom Hanks (Saving Private Ryan)

Jessica: Madonna

Thufir: Sean Connery (The Rock)

Yueh: Micheal Biehn (few people know him, but he played Hicks in Aliens and the soldier from the future in The Terminator)

Gurney: Nicholas Cage (The Rock)

Emperor Shaddam: John Travolta (Pulp Fiction)

Irulan: Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Fenring: Ben Stiller (There's Something about Mary)

Baron Harkonnen: The guy that plays Newman on Seinfeld.

Feyd: Ewan McGreggor (Star Wars, Episode I)

Rabban: Professional wrestler, THE ROCK. (WWF)

Piter: Brad Dourif

Stilgar: Liam Neesan

Jamis: Arnold Schwarzeneggar

Chani: Jennifer Love Hewitt

Aside from Brad Dourif as Piter, that's about one of the stupidest cast listings I've ever seen.

that's not it... but his persona absolutely does not fit the descriptions. Micheal J Fox is a great actor, but just not for this role...

well better than mclachlan ( you get cough when pronouncing ). mclachlan did not look like a teenager at all in the movie.