Dead sandworm

ExSPlug

I think the Fremen don't actually take the teeth as such. I think they just pick up ones that have been chipped off, or even from a very recently-dead or still living worm. Whether they decay into one sandtrout or many, they do decay, and fast.

no, the whole thing where they dissolve is strictly from the prequels. They just die like any normal creature, nothing fancy from what I have read. It is rare to find a surfaced dead sandworm. It is an extremely religious experiance to find the teeth of the worm.

They dont turn into small sandtrouts from my readings, they just die and decompose. They originate from one single sandtrout.

Now Leto II came from many sandtrout, and dissolved. He is not technically a sandworm like others are, he is different. A man-worm.

no, the whole thing where they dissolve is strictly from the prequels. They just die like any normal creature, nothing fancy from what I have read. It is rare to find a surfaced dead sandworm. It is an extremely religious experiance to find the teeth of the worm.

So is the crysknives a rare weapon among fremen?

yes definitely, they rarely collect them. And because since they are naturally unfixed, you have to pick them yourself so that you can keep it. You cant just take an unfixed knife and give it to another, it will decompose as it isnt set to that persons body specifications.

Now like with jessica for example, she  was given a fixed knife by mapes.

I seem to remember in one of the House prequels, Rabban goes out and kills a worm (tricks into eating a bomb or something).  Something happened to it....like it decomposed very quickly or something because I remember Rabban being angry that he would have no proof or something.  That's only according to Brian though...and I personally am giving less and less of a rip about what he has to say as time goes on.  The only other time you see a sandworm die is in God Emperor.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING IF YOU HAVENT READ GOD EMPEROR*

I'm of course talking about when Leto II falls into the river and dies.  Of course this is a drowning and not a natural death...but when he drowns it's almost like the water is acid to his skin and it all just dissolves away into sandtrout.

And about the crysknife thing, aren't the knives actually made from GROUND teeth are not actual teeth themselves?

aeon, I said before that leto II is not the same as a sandworm, and in my opinion shouldnt be compared to one. Remember his body was covered with sandtrout at the beginning, while worms grow from a single maker after the prespice mass explosion. Also dont use the prequels, at least in my opinion, they generally can be mistaken, as I said that the while dissolving thing seems silly to me.

aeon, I said before that leto II is not the same as a sandworm, and in my opinion shouldnt be compared to one. Remember his body was covered with sandtrout at the beginning, while worms grow from a single maker after the prespice mass explosion. Also dont use the prequels, at least in my opinion, they generally can be mistaken, as I said that the while dissolving thing seems silly to me.

That is a thought that occured to me after I posted.  And I guess the only other time in the Dune books a worm is drowned is when the smaller ones are drowned by the Fremen for the Water of Life rituals.  And there is no mention of them dissolving into sandtrout.  I guess I just don't understand the whole cycle thing anyway.  I understand that the sandtrout go toward water or whatever, and form a bubble around it to make a prespice mass or something, but where do the worms come from?  Do they grow from Sandtrout?  If so, where do the sandtrout come from?  Is the spice involved in their reproduction somehow?