:)Which to choose?

TMA_1

hey,

I dont pretend to know much about the Dune series. I consider myself a pretty huge fan though. The problem I am having is I just got Dune Encyclopedia and I cant choose between the prequels or the DE for Canonisity. I kinda lean towards the DE. Just because it really is an intelligent read. I mean he explains the atomic makeup of Melange. Goes into the languages. and one of my personal favorite parts of the book. The legend of ampoleros. A.K.A. the flying dutchman. I am writing a short story on it. It will suck bad but oh well. I just got completely off the subject.lol anyways. What do you guys choose?:)

Gee Mahdi, I think that one was a choice.  <g>

Anyway, speaking as someone who has neither read the Dune Encyclopedia nor the later two books of the Prequels, I am going to go with the Encyclopedia.

In my opinion, the prequels have two strikes against them.  First, unlike the Dune Encyclopedia, they were not officially sanctioned by Frank Herbert.  Second, while I respect Kevin J. Anderson as a writer, I strongly believe he should stick to his own universes.  His perceptions tend to be very romanticised and while that may make for good story telling, it hinders intellectualism.  For example, watching James Bond movies wouldn't help me learn about British intelligence.

--Bashar

Well, I'd say the Prequels, for two main reasons:

1)  Frank Herbert himself said in the DE foreward that it is not Canon.

2)  The Prequels are actually written as part of the Dune series, based on Mr. Herbert's notes (although it leads one to wonder how much attention B&KJ gave to them, or the original novels, for that matter).

I personally like the stories from the DE better, like the info on planet Ecaz.  Or the fact that the DE mentions a watery world, which is nicknamed "Wave".  ;)

I agree with Mahdi, both of them are horribly inaccurate and I personally would never use information from any of them to back up my views in an argument.

I think it would be interesting for someone to go through and find all the inconsistencies in the original novels and see how it stacks up against the prequels.

Well I guess that settles it. Thanks guys. But one more thing. What do you like most as in entertaining stories? I like the DE. I mean unlike most of you guys I gave teh prequels a chance and enjoyed them. I didnt start to compare it to Frank Herbert. I kept it seperate. I still like the DE for stories though:)

• 1 month later...

What kind of excuse is that? If authors plan to make prequels to an already established series they should know what they are talking about if you like the prequels that is fine but the fact remains that they are inaccurate with first books of Dune written by Frank Herbert.