Palace Wars Mod

Dunenewt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

House Corrino - replaces House Ordos

Infantry

Corrino Scout - same as Atreides/Harkonnen scouts. Required:Sardaukar Barracks

Imperial Sardaukar - same as before but with less health and only costs 200.Required:Sardaukar Barracks

Imperial Sardaukar Rocket Soldier - armed with anti-air and and anti-armour rocket launcher. Cost:150. Required:Sardaukar Barracks

Imperial Sardaukar Elite - same as before. Required:Upgraded Sardaukar Barracks

Imperial Sardaukar Engineer - Same as Atredies Engineer. Required:Upgraded Sardaukar Barracks

Built from Palace:

Imperial Sardaukar General - Same as Sardaukar Elite but has more health and gains even more in veterancy. Required:Imperial Palace

Imperial Sardaukar Marksman - A sniper unit. Required:Imperial Palace

Vehicles

Corrino Trike - Small, lightly armoured, fast recon unit armed with a machine gun. Required:Corrino Light Factory

Corrino Quad - Small vehicle armed with anti-tank rockets. Required:Corrino Light Factory w/Upgrade

Corrino APC - Heavily armoured but with no weapons. Can carry up to 5 troops. Required:Corrino Light Factory w/Upgrade

Corrino Combat Tank - Armed with an anti tank cannon. Has medium armour and speed. Required:Corrino War Factory

Corrino Missile Tank - Missile launcher with medium armour and medium speed. Required:Corrino War Factory w/Upgrade

Corrino Siege Tank - Based on the chassis of the Combat Tank, this unit delivers firepower from behind the front line. Required:Corrino War Factory w/Upgrade

Corrino Golden Lion - Hovering tank which fires a heavy duty laser. When the laser hits an object it emits a pulse which kills infantry. Required:Corrino War Factory, Corrino Starport

I will update the unit list soon, when all the units have been decided on

Harkonnen new units:

APC

Inkvine Trooper

Plasma Trooper

Atreides new units:

Arachnid

Fremen Warrior

Fremen Fedyakin

Ix new units:

Experimental Windtrap

Cannon Control Centre

Mega Cannon

Air Mine

Suboid

Shroud Clearer (needs better name)

Tleilaxu new units:

Organic Powerplant

Living Turret

Flyer

Ghola

Spore Bomb

Ordos:

Advanced Windtrap

Turret

Eye-In-The-Sky

Saboteur

Deviatrooper

Deviator

Chaos Bomb

Guild:

Refinery

Mega Cannon

Flyer

APC

Harvester

Richese:

Enhanced Wall

Turret/Mobile Turret

Mobile War Factory

Stealth Bomber

No-APC

No-Tank

Well well, like minds think alike!  ;)

I have detailled below comparisons between your mod and mine:

Chaos Bomb Unit

===============

I hate the Ix Infiltrator (useless unit that tends to get killed and does little damage, then if you up the damage you must up the price, and then why bother?) and thought as I have given the Ix the Chaos Superweapon, and decided against the Ix Chaos trooper (too powerful under games testing) I have made the Infiltrator into a Chaos Bomb (like your Ordos unit!). The only possible differences are that the Infiltrator is stealthed, and if destroyed still causes a chaos wave (smaller radius than if it explodes itself).

Corrino Infantry

================

I also chose to have an Elite sard plus a weakened Sardaukar (less health, lower cost) but it also has a weaker and shorter range gun (to balance with the other Ix and Gu infantry units). It is still much stronger than the other units though so has a longer build time.

I presently have a Rocket Trooper - this is because I have 2 Devastators : one with Seige guns, and one with a Superlaser (that does not have any shield feedback) plus a quad and a Rocket-turret. So lots of rockets.

I will now change the rocket trooper unit to a SuperLaser trooper (no AA capability and slower ROF), so our infantry sides look slightly different.

Corrino Units

=============

I dont have a missile or heavy tank (I have given those to the Landsraad side along with the Minotaurus) and have a Repair Unit instead of your APC. (Both Ix and Guild have self-healing units, so to balance I have given Corrino the Repair Unit).

My tank unit is a laser tank, but based on the Mongoose rather than a hover version as you have (which in my mod is the province of the Ix and Ordos).

The Corrino Trike I have made fire an anti-infantry laser. (The buzzsaw I have kept with the HK side, the Dustscout with the Ordos and I have created a new hover unit for the Ix and have a slightly modified AT APC for the Guild Lite unit).

So some differences.

Palace SuperInfantry Unit

=========================

Each side will be having a Palace Unit (the Generals) like you as the end missions like to have a real "building target" to attack.

I had moved the Superweapon buildings (Ix Chaos Beam, Corrino Deathhand and Guild SuperGun) to another Civil Building definition and put in the starport as the "old Palace".

I have now had to add a 2nd "Palace" as the main "target" in the homeworld and Dune Base missions, (rather than the starport which didnt look right as the "big target"). However the Generals can only be built by the defending AI in these missions, and the Palace and Units will not be buildable in skirmish mode. So your mod will still be unique in its key focus around Palace based units.

Sub-House Units - Ordos (was Tleilaxu)

======================================

Like you I have moved the Ordos EITS and Saboteur. But I have also moved the gas trooper, the lasertank plus the dustscout. I am planning to build a Gas Turret (just like in the original artwork).

Sub-House Units - Tleilaxu (was Guild)

======================================

I have the standard leech, the contaminator (stronger) plus the TL-Mongoose and TLFlyer from ICW. I have given the deviator gas to a SuperLeech that now deviates both Infantry and Units. So the Tleilaxu are now fairly strong!

Sub-House Units - HK (was IM)

=============================

I have moved the Buzzsaw, Inkvine, Flamer and FlameTank plus I had added the InkVine Trooper from ICW, but I will change this to an InkVine Mortar trooper so that again we keep some differences.

Sub-House Units - Landsraad (was Ix)

====================================

Nice deep blue textures for factory, seige-gun turret and windtrap. Plus deep blue textures for assault tank, missile tank, minotaurus and APC. Infantry is similar to Sardaukar. So completely different from your Richese and Ix subhouses

Sub-House Units - AT+Fr

=======================

Like you I have combined the two houses together, but retained both Frcamp and ATBarracks as buildable to get specific units.

Units are mixed in missions, getting AT Laser Sniper plus FR Fedaykin or Fr warrior and AT SonicTrooper (from ICW). Also can build AT Helipad and AT Orni.

So it looks like we will have some similarities, but also enough differences that people will want to try both of our mods out.

My timescales are still earliest end of this year, how are you looking?

ta

Jules

Jules: I also scrapped the Chaos Trooper, and don't ever make the deviator gas come out as a spray, it's way too powerful ;)

I'm keeping the FRCamp, it's buildable after you build the palace.

Cyborg: Mine will be out in about two weeks, but I desperately need your help to do with Paint Shop Pro.

Just a few thoughts:

The Imperial Sardaukar has been weakened, you probably did that to give the Sardaukar a quick-to-build unit, and adding another infantry unit with a machine gun would be too much. But you might be able to give the Imperial Sardaukar its original power back by giving it the ability to quickly gain experience (low score levels) and when it gets at level 1 or 2, it has its original stats back. That way you may have both units in one unit.

I always found Photoshop better to use when modifying textures then Paint Shop Pro, I have the idea you can give nicer effects with it. Well, that is if you have Photoshop ofcourse :)

Timenn,

In DuneNewt's mod as he is not doing a full conversion, players will expect the Sardaukar to be as powerful as in standard Emperor, even though this unbalances the sides.

For my mod where I am changing all sides, I can ignore that restriction, and rebalance according to needs. I have looked at all stats for all units and tweaked many and left a few. The big problem with the Sardaukar is that in reality it should be weaker than a Light attack unit (Sandbike, Dustscout etc) which otherwise forces up their stats, which then forces up tanks etc.

I thus decided that the best option was to cut the weapon damage to 80% and the range down from 9 to 7 tiles, I could then use light units with a Sardaukar strength gun at range 7 (and improved armour penetration) without needing to up the ranges of other more heavy units. The health of the sard is still nearly 3 times that of the equivalent Gu and Ix cannon-fodder units, plus they only have a gun with 50% to 75% damage value of the sard gun. So in relation to them he is still big and tough!

Done pretty neatly. Also when considering the old colors were quite different.

But maybe you can try to give some more atmosphere to the colors, like the cold atmosphere of the Ordos buildings colors.

And maybe you should take a screeny with the graphic levels a little higher, makes it better to see.

;D

I think it looks very good, and nicely fits with the tank textures.

One thing though, I'm not sure that the bendy barrel on the IMTANK is such a good thing, it looks rather odd (IMHO), using a Y Rotation Turret definition for that model. Why not copy the Turret Definition from the Harkonnen assault tank, change the X Rotation upper value to -70 or -80 (it is a seige tank isnt it?) and switch the bullet to kobrahowitzer_b (assuming that is what you are using).

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...