"DuneBUILD"

DukeLeto

As some of you probably know, the BUILD Engine Source Code (used in DukeNukem 3D, Blood, and Witchaven, among others) was released by 3D Realms earlier this year. Over the last couple days, I've been playing around with it, and was wondering if maybe we could use it to make a Dune game. The engine is programmed in Watcom C (http://www.openwatcom.org/) and uses (I think) mostly sprite-and-voxel graphics. However, with work, it could be made to look pretty good. Plus, no liscensing fee, since BUILD is Open-source.

So...idea or not? If so, who all can help? I can do some coding, but I suck at computer graphics.

Scytale: Wasn't "Fire Warriors" just released recently?

Leto: Well, if there is a fix, then that's great. I just don't know if it would be worth making a Dune-based game with such an old engine, whne a mod could be made for something newer. Although the build engine is pretty easy (I've only made one level though, and it was just a sort of zoo, with all the aliens and weapons from DN3D).

If you get something organized, I can probably help out a bit, with Build stuff, probably some graphics stuff as well.

Scytale: Wasn't "Fire Warriors" just released recently?

Leto: Well, if there is a fix, then that's great. I just don't know if it would be worth making a Dune-based game with such an old engine, whne a mod could be made for something newer. Although the build engine is pretty easy (I've only made one level though, and it was just a sort of zoo, with all the aliens and weapons from DN3D).

If you get something organized, I can probably help out a bit, with Build stuff, probably some graphics stuff as well.

The problem with a mod is that

A)It would require people to have the game, and

B)You couldn't charge for it. :P

Furthermore, the BUILD engine has produced some stunning graphics (EG: Shadow Warrior), and yet shouldn't be as complex to work with as, say, UnrealTech or Q3:TA. Pus, no liscensing fees.

Good idea, this engine is rather easier than today ones and still with that pioneer nefesh of Doom. But voxel graphics? That would make it rather slower on older computers, if we'll get there too much objects on the screen, even my 384 MB might be insufficient...

Old 3d games made extensive use of voxel graphics.

It's a quite fast technique.

However, in newer games, voxel graphics is no longer used because it doesn't support rotation in the y axis more than a few degrees...

TibSun/RA2 use voxels for vehicles, and I can flood the screen in those games with tanks and experience little or no slowdown. And I only have 512 MB of RAM (although i do a GF4 as well, which probably helps).

But voxels are only used for certain environmental objects; sectors (rooms) are textured walls, enemies/NPCs are SHP-like (up to 32 frames showing the unit from varoius angle), and a few objects can be 2D FMEs (such as weapons, keys, ammo, powerups, etc.)

512MB RAM is ridicolously much when you you talk about voxels.

And yes, voxel graphic is rendered at fast speed.

A whole screen of tanks wouldn't need much RAM. The game itself requires much more.

Voxels could never have been used(like DukeLeto states) for objects with moving parts(like characters and such) because the the system uses an array of pixels, which would take very long time to move(and thus it's better to use normal polygon 3D for games like first person shooters).

• 2 weeks later...

OK, that's two. Anybody any good with graphics?

I've got some weapons ideas:

1 key: Crysknife

2 key: Maula Pistol

These in no order:

(Sub)Machine gun, or something to that effect

Sniper Rifle (a sniper scope in a BUILD game...there's a new challenge)

LasGun

Wierding Module

A sword of some sort (?)

The wilder ideas:

Grenade (launcher)

Atomic weapons or something perhaps

Plasma guns

Rocket Launcher/RPG

Shotgun-type thing

Mines/Det Packs/C4

The Voice

Perhaps you could get shields (which can be turned off and on, using some sort of power supply while on, but making you all but invulnerable to things other then Crysknifes and lasguns), armor (absorbs or reduces damage, duh), and of course, a stillsuit (provides basic health).

Doesn't DukeNukem have those security cameras or something which you can watch?

In that case, a sniper zoom shouldn't be too hard to make either.

Does the BUILD engine use cameras or something to "view the world"?