snow

Emperor Harkonnen

Darn, I was recently in Sweden (mid-August to mid-September) but missed the snow (missed the snow ENTIRELY). At least it almost dropped to 10 celsius at night, which is cooler than it ever gets where I live.

BTW - What is it with Swedes and all their thermometers?

BTW2 - Sweden's really clean! Who does all the sweeping?

BTW3 - Have they caught the person who killed the Swedish foreign minister yet?

At night I think it got down to 13 or 14 (almost 10, don't you think?). Although, I did leave in September (autumn).

S'pose it is a very rich country (second richest in Scandinavia). Stockholm was unusually clean, though, even taking the above into account. And, anyway, there is no direct link between wealth and cleanliness, is there?

Hoping to go back there again.

BTW I saw Norway as well, but spent most of the time in Sweden. Saw Oslo - more industrialised than Stockholm. They had far more cool Viking stuff in Norway. I saw the Oseberg - magnificent!

yeah in Norway Wikings are more important than in Sweden, because the Wikings in Norway conquered England and discovered Iceland, Greenland and North Amerika.

Being a resident of Norway, you probably know a lot more about the Vikings than I do, but I remember that it was primarily the Danish Vikings who conquered England (Danelaw, I think they called a part of Britain), though I could be mistaken. Was Eric the Red from Norway? He discovered Greenland, didn't he? Leif Eriksson sailed to America. Was he also Norwegian? I think I need to do a bit more digging.

correct. danish wikings also conquered england, but I do not know to what extent.

I am absolutely sure that Norwegians colonized Iceland. Eric the Red was from Norway yes. Leif Eriksson was from Iceland, but people from iceland was at that time counted as norwegians since only like on generation has pased since they moved from Norway to Iceland.

Interesting.

And the Swedish Vikings? Some of them settled in what is now Russia - they were called the Rus there, weren't they? Somebody told me that it's mainly the Rus style of architecture that was copied for Rohan in The Two Towers.

Isn't it funny that in the 11th century the Vikings in England (they were actually a bit mixed up with the Saxons and other tribes there by then) were defeated by the Normans, who were, more or less, really descendents of Scandinavians who had settled across the channel? ;D Or perhaps my history's all messed up! (Interesting fact: after the invasion by the Normans, England was never invaded again.)

Interesting.

And the Swedish Vikings? Some of them settled in what is now Russia - they were called the Rus there, weren't they? Somebody told me that it's mainly the Rus style of architecture that was copied for Rohan in The Two Towers.

Isn't it funny that in the 11th century the Vikings in England (they were actually a bit mixed up with the Saxons and other tribes there by then) were defeated by the Normans, who were, more or less, really descendents of Scandinavians who had settled across the channel? ;D Or perhaps my history's all messed up! (Interesting fact: after the invasion by the Normans, England was never invaded again.)

England has been invaded, by asylum seekers.lol ;D

Interesting.

the style which was in rohan, I think I have also seen on many other wiking houses. the architecture I think was pretty common when it came to wikings.

wasn't england invaded by the germans during ww2 also...

Lowzeewee's right. The Germans fought a vicious air battle with the British called the Battle of Britain but they never invaded - Churchill was quite adamant that they don't!

Why do so many Scandinavians think English-speaking people say "Wiking"? Even a Swedish tour guide (speaking English) kept on referring to these strange people called "the Wikings"! ;D Listen: In English the word is spelt with a "v", just like in Scandinavia!

Well the Germans have trouble speaking W's so maybe that is the reason. I didn't want to correct them, I guess you beat me to it. ;D

It's quite simple really V is like viper

(just hope some smart arse doesn't say , "yeah winscreen vipers") also V is like victory.

W is like witch or water.

If you want to test a German ask him for a Video .

;D

Yeah, but the thing is - Scandinavians don't pronounce a 'w' like a 'v' (like the Germans); they pronounce it as it is pronounced in English! That's why I don't understand why Swedes (the ones who don't speak English well - most of them do, though) will say things like: "I vant to eeeet." Why the 'v' sound? (I hope my impersonation of a Swede hasn't upset anyone.)