What If Short Stories

Alia Atreides

What I am about to present here is something that I learned in my Critical Thinking Class in College. It is called What if… Stories. What you do is take a particular event in the story something detrimental to the story line and you change it. Such as …

• What if Duncan Idaho was not killed by the Sardukar trying to help Jessica and Paul escape?
  • What if Dr. Yueh had not betrayed the Atreides but instead enlisted the help of Duke Leto Atreides?
  • What if Miles Teg had never been captured and exposed to the T-Probe?
  • What if the Bene Gesserit had agreed immediately to Paul’s offer to impregnate Irulan through artificial means?
  • What if Ghanima had instead taken the skin of the Sandtrout? , Etc.

After you write the question write up a short story involving that particular character and what happened to the Dune Chronicles because of this change.

Please make it something that not only meshes with the original Dune Series or Prequels but something that could have happened and is believable.

Please let me know what you think :)

I will be putting up the first story shortly I am still working on it … started it on the train to work this morning.

What if Alia Atreides didn’t die from her fall out of the Arrakean Place window?

The year is 10,237. My name is Alia Atreides and I once was the Regent of the Known Universe. People worshipped and reveled in my presence. My brother Muad’Dib made me a Goddess. To be placed upon such a pedestal before I was even 6 Standard years has its repercussions and its consequences.

I wanted so much for a simple life, a normal life and yet it was the one thing that was denied to me and still is to this day. I may no longer have the chains that leadership and worship of millions had once brought to me but I have even … worse chains. The inner voices may be gone but their memories and my memories are not. I can not for a moment forget who I am nor the things I did in the Atreides name and that is how it should be.

To think of the irony that I sit in hiding in a Harkonnen no-room made for the Grandfather I killed and once allowed to possess me. It was my beloved Ziarenka and her husband Hassid who risked their lives to save me. Hassid one of my high priests covered my body saying he was taking it to the deathstill he however delivered me to Zia and used water from a catchbasin to give to the Naibs saying it was my water to be thrown to the sands.

They then had me undergo the trial of possession a trial that almost killed me the Baron was finally dead once and for all and I was supposed to be free but I did not feel free. My other memory was still there but they could no longer cry out for attention and I could pick and use what I wanted to use. In my memory I found this place and told Zia to move me. They packed me in a crate and accompanied me to Giedi Prime. I should have been grateful at this time for everything that Zia and Hassid had done for me but I was not. Humility would come later for me as the days went by and years I have had to reflect have led me to the following conculsion: Everything in life happens for a reason.

For unknown to all but me I was pregnant when I took that plunge a child that was saved how I do not know how all I do know is that my daugther is pre-born but she is also slated for something special. I named her Isabella Noree. The Noree surname means ‘the light of heaven’ it will also protect her from those who still want the Atreides dead. I remember the day I kissed her goodbye… how like me she was she did not cry did not make childish remarks. Instead she looked at me and said: “Mother, it is for the best”, I then hugged he as tightly as possible and sent her to IX with Zia and Hassid to rasie her. Since then I have been alone the Harkonnens thought of everything for this hiding place food, water, filmbooks. But they did not think of the loneliness for I can never leave here. Once a year Zia would come to visit me but as I have grown old she has grown older and one day there will be no left here no one expect me…