My computer

k first of all my computer has recently become sluggish, at about the same time as internet explorer 6.0 decided to give me so many errors and crash every 2 seconds. well lets see here, i cant play any games on my computer now, even the old game Dune is entirely sluggish to where i can barely play, here is my dxdiag i will post the iexplorer error later, has to do with memory could not be "read" or something like that, someone please help me!![attachment archived by Gobalopper]

ok, the exact error that is being displayed would help a lot.

[ the file naam causing the error and the addres where it causes it ]

In the mean time you could try to errase all you TEMP files and more impartant everything in C:Program FilesInstallShield Installation Information that directory. Where the C drive is optionall depending on the drive where your program files are located. Don't worry it only contains files that where needed temporarely during the install of any programms and are not needed any more afther they are installed.

no, just the ones in you temp file will do.

Make shure you get both temp dir's as there is one in c:WINNTTEMP and one in C:Documents and Settings%username%Local SettingsTemp. The second one usually also contains some of your IE temp files. I'm not shure if it's gon'na help although some protection errors can be fixed by this. So it's worth a try.

Gon'na see what I can find about this error in the morning if you don't mind. . .just came online to send an IM I'd forgotten about .. had a bussy night and to be hounest I need the sleep :-

Gon'na look at it Saturday morning unless some one else has fixed it by then. :)

aight, i tried that mem progry, and when it booted i got a screen that looked kinda like hex or something, but enver did anything, i went to bed and let it run about 8 hours and when i got up it was still there, looked like it was doing someing but heck who knows. i have 50 gigs free space on my 80 gig HD. so space shouldnt be a proble, i ran scandisk, defragmented, and all the stuff i possible could, but still no luck...

I know this is going to sound strange, but do you have a network printer that is not always on? Take a look at this thread if you are interested in why I ask this question:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/r1045166106

The problem described in this thread sounded similar to your problem. Usually when I see a problem that does not make sense I search the net to see if someone else has had a similar problem.

Here is the apparent solution from that thread:

Okay, I seem to have solved it, and this is really strange.

At my home, I connect to a Windows 98 box for print serving via NetBIOS. It is usually always on.

Attempting to print today, I received the same strange "read" error messages mentioning some address plus "0x00000000". Extremely frustrated, I went to the Windows 98 box and turned it on.

Check! Now Photoshop will load.

Check! Visio will also load now.

Check! UltraEdit loads and exists without errors.

Shouldn't Windows error gracefully when a printer is not present that is installed? Crashing and not loading applications without a reasonable error mesg. indicating that the printer is not present seems like a terrible bug. And furthermore, why would these applications crash or refuse to load in the first place?

Jeremy

well usually when the lan is trying to connect there are the 2 small comptuers, but i disabled it so it no longer coems up... ahh, whats wrong with this piece of... yeah... the lan is totally gone.

You have Windows XP with directx 5?!?

Shouldn't WinXP come with 8?

Formatting solves everything but is a last resort. oh wait, dont do it if you have dialup, unless you have unlimited hours and access.(as downloading updates will take days)

Did you overclock your CPU? If you did that could explain the problems you are having. Also bad memory could be the problem as well. It is really hard to track down a bug of this nature. To isolate what the problem might be you should try swapping out parts (like RAM) one at a time and reboot the system and see if the problem persists. If the problem goes away, then you have found the bad piece of hardware. Try the memory first. If you have 3 sticks of RAM in the system, pull out all but one and reboot the system. Try just using each stick of memory by itself and reboot the system each time. If the problem persists, then you have eliminated the RAM as the problem. Next I would try and borrow a video card from someone and swap out your card and see what happens. If you still have a problem that saves you the wasted money. If you still have a problem I would suggest buying a whole new system before replacing the CPU, unless you can get the CPU dirt cheap (under $50). Otherwise it would be better to get a new motherboard , CPU and video card.

no, i have read a little bout overclocking, and i heard if you dont do it correctly your system could become trashed so thats a no-no here. i value my computer way to much to put it in harms way. i will try the memory thing a little later when py folks go to sleep..they dont like me taking stuff apart

=========================================================

Edit: ok the game when i play lets say warcraft III. ok i have all the graphics set to low as piossible, well bout 3 minutes into the game or less, it sort of freezes, then speeds up like its catching up, it catches up, then bout the same time between 1-3 minutes it does it again...

=========================================================

Double Edit: on the task manager it often says im using 100% of the CPU when i get out of the right after it lags.that give any hints?>