Cable internet

ok, I have a question. Does the cable internet run on the same line as cable tv?

as in if you have a cable for the television cable, could the cable company use that to give you cable internet?

I am pretty sure the answer is NO... but i may be wrong :-[

the reason I ask this is because the cable company here (many people hate it :P ) says that if we buy cable internet from them we would have to buy cable tv as well... and they would take away our satelite boxes (which are from a completely different company, and I think that would be sort of -illegal- for a company to take items from a person that they do not own.... could be wrong again though :-[

but that's why I'm asking you, the fellow members of this site ;D

yes you can, at least my internet cable that goes from my big expensive rented modem, goes where the cable would go into. ( i also have crappy digital cable that costs 60 $ a month for regular channels., but im sure i can get cable internet withough cable tv)

as for having to buy cable...WTF? stick with satelite

They can't force you to get rid of your satellite TV, but they can charge you a lot more for the cable internet service if you don't get cable TV from them. They call this price packaging which is being fought by satellite broadcasting companies that say cable companies are giving such huge discounts on cable internet if the consumer also buys cable TV and this is bascially putting the satellite providers out of business. What is the name of the cable company that told you that you had to get cable TV? I would say that is illegal.

Weird as it might sound, it's the same here. If you would like to have a cable connection at home, you need to have a TV cable subscription for it to be connected in the first place. Same with DSL. They won't hook you up [ as normal customer ] if you don't have a phone line for normall voice with it. [ so a dedicated line just for DSL is out of the question ].

As far as you sat dish, I would say that's free to choice. . if you would like it as an addition to the television cable you need, they probably can't forbit you to have it.

O, and yes. . . cable internet uses the same coaxial cable that your cable tv needs .. it's one and the same.

ok, so the cable tv and the cable internet are on the same cable, i think that's clear, right?

but why would they say that i have to get cable tv and cable internet?

the cable company here (i guess maybe some other places) is called comcast cable.

we really want DSL, but for both cable and DSL they say that it is not yet available in our area, but they are trying to get it to be. the thing is is that we have a cable cord for cable tv(so my mom says), but they say it's not available in our area... and if cable internet and cable tv run on the same cord... why can't we have cable internet?

I am pretty sure that Comcast has to run new cable underground to your neighborhood so that you can transmit up the cable as well as down. Your cable up until now has only been used to receive data for television and now it needs to be able to transmit data as well. That's probably why it's not available in your area yet. Some cable companies will let you run one way cable modems which only download over the cable and all of your upstream is handled by a dialup modem still. I am pretty sure Comcast only sets up cable modems when they can support 2 way (up and down streams) data transfers. DSL is another story. With DSL you need to be within a certain distance (<5 miles I think) from the telephone Central Office to be eligible for service. I can't get DSL where I live so I am stuck with cable for now.