My questions

Caution: You might want to talk to Nyar or n6 about this, but I'll give my best way at it.

1. Turn off and unplug computer, to stop the flow of energy. Wait about 15 seconds, just in case. Next, unscrew the case and take it off, make sure that you are grounded, where no static electricity can flow through you and short a circuit( that would suck ). Static gloves or mat work if you have any of those, if not then just put it on the table and you should be fine.

2. Unscrew the cd-rom from the slot it is in, and unplug the power wires (should be red, white and black) and any other wiring. If the laptop doesn't have these wires, then unplug it from the motherboard, if it does then unplug it from the back of the cd-rom.

3. I hope you know how to install it on the laptop, because I have no knowledge on laptops.

This is what I would do, anyhow. Remember, I am not an expert, so I suggest you talk to Nyar or n6 first, because I do not want to be the cause of you f*cking up your stuff :)

Caution: You might want to talk to Nyar or n6 about this, but I'll give my best way at it.

1. Turn off and unplug computer, to stop the flow of energy. Wait about 15 seconds, just in case. Next, unscrew the case and take it off, make sure that you are grounded, where no static electricity can flow through you and short a circuit( that would suck ). Static gloves or mat work if you have any of those, if not then just put it on the table and you should be fine.

2. Unscrew the cd-rom from the slot it is in, and unplug the power wires (should be red, white and black) and any other wiring. If the laptop doesn't have these wires, then unplug it from the motherboard, if it does then unplug it from the back of the cd-rom.

3. I hope you know how to install it on the laptop, because I have no knowledge on laptops.

This is what I would do, anyhow. Remember, I am not an expert, so I suggest you talk to Nyar or n6 first, because I do not want to be the cause of you f*cking up your stuff :)

OMFG.....so complicated :O

Can I use my old Desktop Comp's CD rom drive and put it into my laptop

No. I suggest you take your father's laptop to a PC repair shop that services laptops. They can order an appropriate CDROM drive and install it for you. There is no way that you will be able to fix this problem yourself.

Acriku,

A CDROM drive that goes in a laptop is much smaller and has a different interface than a desktop CDROM drive. A laptop CDROM drive usually just snaps right into the laptop and the connector on the back handles both data and power requirements for the drive. Another thing about laptops is that devices made for them usually have much lower power consumption requirements than for a desktop device.

I just looked at a laptop at school, and the friggin' floppy drive pops out, and can be put into another laptop with just a click! Nice efficiency. Number6, I guess that has its advantages and disadvantages.

I was looking for the model of the laptop. This should be printed somewhere on the laptop or with the laptop documentation. Your DxDiag does not contain this information. If you can't find this information you should download sandra from :

http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=&location=sware_dl&langx=en&a=

This utility might be able to extract the manufacturer information from the BIOS.

All I can get from your Dxdiag is that it's a IBM Thinkpad, but I need to know what model number/type of Thinkpad. Looking on the IBM website for current Thinkpads it says that the CDROM is supposed to be swappable which means you should be able to pull the drive out. You may have an older model that does not allow this. I simply don't know.

If the laptop is one from / for your dad's company, in The Netherlands that company is responsible for maintaining the hardware and software on it. [ usually ]. If there is a problem with it you could just take it to them and they will fix it.