Good and Evil

Okay. Next week in SUnday School we're doing a debate and my group got stuck with a hard point to argue. Here's the options:

People are basically good.

People are born evil.

Some people are good, some people are evil.

You have a choice of being good or evil.

(My group is stuck with #3) Just wanted to hear what you all thought on the issue...really...I would never lift your ideas for my own use... ;D

hmmm, since this is kinda religious in nature, I think that we are inherantly evil because of the sin nature passed own by eve and adam. Though many christians see it differently, that is my own view docternally.

psychologically, I agree with many of freud's ideas, that we inherently are bad because our drive is such that we want pleasure and want it now. the Id is subconscious so we end up not knowing we hurt people. Sometimes we dont build up a good moral code, (superego) which hinders our kindness to others and the like.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that you can't really classify people as good or evil. People see things in different ways and are just trying to do what they think is right(mainly). People just have different views that contridict each other and therefore, in the other person's eyes, is evil. This is just my opinion.

I see things the same way as TMA-1 (I guess I'm a Freudian, then ;)). We are born with animal instincts (the Id), which tell us what we want now, regardless of consequences. As we mature, however, we build/acquire a "conscience" (the Superego), which subconciously helps us to forsee folly or negative reactions to our actions.

It also depends on what both you and the person in question consider to be evil. I don't think that many people do evil things because they believe they are evil, unless they are psychologically or emotionally impaired. More often than not, people believe they are doing something good for someone (usually themselves), even if they realize it may be bad for someone else.

We are born pretty much an animal, and it is up to outside and inner influences and developments to shape one into a good/evil/in between person. Basically, I think it depends on the situation to tell whether or not the person is good or evil. I can be good with my kids, and family, but pop the hell out of my whore on the side. Or, work with many charities while chewing on a baby limb. But really, what moral construct should we use to determine the benevolence of a person? I think that is up to each person.