Elecca Drug: Absence of Freedom

TMA_1

I thought that frank had so many neat ideas. Not just on the grand scale of things such as the basic political patterns of the Dune Universe he created, but also on the small stuff. For example, the drug that is administered to people that destroys will. THink about this, the emperor could give this drug to already suicidal sardaukar. They would completely and utterly be careless for their own lives. I mean they would still have intelligence as to when, where and how to fight in order to make a battle efficiant. They would still have complete understanding of tactics and whatnot. The drug would just add something to a virtually perfect fighter. They would not care about their own life at all. Granted the sarduakar were already fanatical enough to die for their emperor, but it would add to it. Also imagine conscripts of an evil ruler, like the Baron. He could use it on his solders in order to keep loyalty.

You guys agree?

The idea is really not Herbert's completely he incorporated into his story. F Herbert had studied alot on different cultures. In that respect he used different sources about drug use and wrote them into his novels of Dune. The first one I can think of is about erythroxylum coca "erythroxylaceae" commomly called coca. Coca leaves added with lime has been chewed by Indians of Andean South America for thousands of years. The use of the coca plants leaves in this manner block readsorption of norepinephrine in the brain making the user feel invigorated at the same time blocking feelings of fatigue and hunger. Lime is added to hydrolyse the alkaloids and convert them to the free bases. There are many ancient texts that speak of different drugs Sumerian, India (Hindi) and Chinese being examples. In most of the so-called "primitive" cultures, use of these materials is within a cultural, religious, or medical context and they are generally not used recreationally like they are used today.

Powerfull yes, Stupid yes. The will for self preservation is a good thing to have for setting up ambushs that sort of thing.

but if u want a example of a warrior with out self preservation. look at the viking berserkers

i alwas thought they were air conditioned suits, to keep them at a nice cool invirment that sort of thing.