Good Stereotypes

We already know all the bad stereotyping. What I want to focus on are the good stereotyping. If you think all stereotyping is bad, well, fine. But I am really wanting to challenge you people to think outside the societal box. I am challenging you guys to list stereotypes that are beneficial and healthy.

I can think of many.

But I'll start with one:

I am in a WalMart store (a giant...very large store full of food, hardware, clothes, toys, furniture...everything basically).

I want to buy a new calendar for my office, but I need to hurry because I only have 10 minutes.

I walk into the store and instantly am overwhelmed by the huge amount of people and things inside. I have no idea... no idea where to find a Calendar. If I walk down every aisle I could be here for 30 minutes.

But then I see a person wearing a blue vest that says "WALMART" on it walking down an aisle. I immediately stereotype that person as someone who posseses these qualities:

1. The person will know where my item is

2. The person will be willing to help me

3. The person will interrupt what he/she is doing to help me.

4. The person will be polite to me

5. The person will lead me to my item and I'll be out of the store on time.

Now obviously, I have never met this person in my life. None of those 5 assumptions above could be true...they could all be false.

Yet I assume them based upon the clothing I saw this person wearing. I placed a stereo type on this person based upon my past experiences with people that have similar types of clothes on. A stereotype that is beneficial and appropriate.

i said buying. not shoping ::)

uhhhh....i just buy at a store. i'm sure there are many many many many democrats that shop at walmart. i don't think thats an accurate stereotype. do you think democrats buy things at walmart disproportionately to republicans?

On a Third Rock From the Sun episode, Harry went to Home Depot with an orange shirt, and was thought to be a worker there and gave out bad information. Then at the end of the episode he wore a white shirt with vertical black lines, and said he's off to buy shoes :)