If i get generals....

... I will have to upgrade my computer. Ive never done this b4 and i don't really know what im looking for. In order to run generals i am going to have to upgrade to a 1.8-2ghz cpu and get a geforce3 and some more RAM. I also will need a new motherboard if i want a faster processor.

Can i have some advice? What would u guys do. Right now i plan on buying 256 RAM and a geforce 3 or 4. Im pretty stumped about the processor and motherboard though. Would it be more worth it to buy a brand new comp or to upgrade those parts? Basically, what should i get for my comp that will make high spec games run good but still has to be as cheap as possible.

Thx

well my 800 mhz comp with crappy graphics card and too little amount of RAM just isnt cuttin it anymore. If i just upgrade to like a 1.3 and get a geforce2 what happens when i need a new comp for the cooler and new game that comes out in 6 months that i HAVE to get cuz its so cool.

Also where should i be looking? Should i ONLY get the video card and new processor or should i get the whole deal(w/o monitor,printer,keyboard and all that). I only want what i need to make high spec games run good and at a low price. I dont know whether to buy individual parts( i wouldn't know which ones were compatible with eachother) or to buy a new cpu with all those parts i dont really need to spend extra money on. Im running blindly into a dark tunnel here...

I would buy a pre built system and upgrade. Dell has a configurator where you can pick and choose what components you want. Go here:

http://catalog.us.dell.com/CS1/cs1page2.aspx?br=1&c=us&cs=19&fm=10143&kc=6V699&l=en&s=dhs

This base system comes with a Geforce 4 MX which you will probably want to upgrade making the system cost slightly more than $1000. If you want to go cheaper I know a place in Ohio that custom builds systems at decent prices. Let me know.

I think im gonna have to talk my parents into getting a whole new comp i guess. Is there anywhere i could sell my computer and get a decent amount of money for it?

The good thing though is that if they agree to get a new comp im sure it will be better than that one. Probably will end up getting the best thing that is out there so we dont have to worry about the computer being too slow for a looong time.

I don't think so. PC's don't have very good resell value. I would just keep the older system and use it for older games and internet. You can also network the new and old computers together and play lan games with older games like Emperor.

no, don't upgrade to a 1.3 system or so. It's just too old, it will only be a matter of months before you have to upgrade again if you want to play a new great game.

2ghz would be fine, low cost, high speed. I would equip it with a geforce 4 at the least, ti4200 if you want a fast low budget card, not the gf4 mx, that one plain sux.

256 mb of ram is ok, but i'd recommend 512. The rest should just be standard stuff like a SB Live! player1024 or something (dunno what the newer value model is)