Cybernetics

Major_Gilbear

Are these used in the Duniverse?

I know the Tleilaxu make 'metal eyes', but I wondered if bionics were generally allowed/used at all.

In the Lynch film (and also in the cutscenes from EBFD), some of the Sarduakar appear to have metal body parts... Though neither of these two sources are 'gospel'.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

In the prequels Rhombur Vernius, the rightful ruler of Ix, gets an almost completely robotic body after he loses most of his body in...nevermind, I'm not going to spoil anything.

In Heretics of Dune, a pilot is mentioned with cybernetic implants after he suffered severe injuries in an accident.

In the original Dune (wich Lynch' movie is based on) there was no mentioning of anything cybernetic (if I recall correctly).

And the Sardaukars aren't cybernetic, Lynch just made up those suits himself :)

For the record, the driver/pilot in Heretics was named Clairby.

And you may have noticed one Sardaukar officer in Lunch's Dune with a metal (steel) nose. Interestingly enough, a Danish astronomer named Tycho Brahe had lost his nose in a duel, and had it replaced with a prosthetic of a gold/silver/copper alloy.

(He also had a pet moose, and he died because he held his "water" too long.)

I do believe it was a sardaukar general. You could be right though. I never thought of them as sardaukar, but if he followed the book in that area (which I dont think he did) than they would be sardaukar generals. even though they arent called generals.lol

exactly, that is why I tend to agree with you. They just never mention it.lol But sardaukar solders have dress uniforms as well, so you are looking at sardaukar solders who dont fight anymore and just tend on politics, stratagy and tactics.

Vanguard, I agree with your perception, but not all of it. I was suggesting that tacticians received extensive training, but had not actually served as foot soldiers. Because, the Sardaukar are obsessed with battle, and becoming a general or Burseg would kind of make that impossible. I just don't think the Sardaukar mentality would be very receptive to such a career change.

remember that many of the sardaukar were not only strong with the body, but also with the mind. Many sardaukar officers were extremely intelligent and some even took political offices after retiring. They are not mindless drones. Like all military groups, there are some who are field commanders, and some that are political paperpushers. Ambition is very important in the theme I got of the sardaukar solder. Those men were sardaukar in the movie in my opinion.