Accesion of new EU countries

it's been a major factor in keeping the peace for over half a century in Europe. I'm pro EU allthough I don't like the way it's run. The council of ministres should be removed and the parliament should be given more power, that would in my opinion be more democratic. And we should abandon the idea of having to "capitols".

I live in Norway and we're not in it. More and more people are voting for it though. I would like to join it.

Dunenewt, what's bad about it? I might change my mind ;)

And I was counting on Norway staying out of it so we could just be in the EFTA with you and the Swiss

I was mainly referring to the entry of the east european countries. I hear from people around me all sorts of complaints, like "those bastards are just after our money" and crap like that. Then what should we say to them?

"Sorry we betrayed you to the nazis in 1938, but you can't join our little club now"

And I was counting on Norway staying out of it so we could just be in the EFTA with you and the Swiss

We are going to stay out of EU for a loooong time, dunenewt.

Btw, who are we? where do you come from?

What's the point of making all those unions?

The countries in europe are allies no matter what union they are in.

I have heard just as much negative about EU than positive, but still I don't care if Norway enters it. Well ofcourse I care a bit because things will change, worse or better.

What's the point of making all those unions?

The countries in europe are allies no matter what union they are in.

I have heard just as much negative about EU than positive, but still I don't care if Norway enters it. Well ofcourse I care a bit because things will change, worse or better.

Why can't the Europians be nicer to us then

I was mainly referring to the entry of the east european countries. I hear from people around me all sorts of complaints, like "those bastards are just after our money" and crap like that. Then what should we say to them?

"Sorry we betrayed you to the nazis in 1938, but you can't join our little club now"

after the 2nd world war we recieved the Marshall aid from the US, Russia (Soviet) said no thanks on behalf of eastern Europe, therefore I believe that we are obligated to help them even if it may be expensive for us.

Eastern Europe is as much a part of Europe as we are, and in the long run I don't think we can afford not to accept them into EU.

The problem is, it doesn't work both ways... EU regulations barely ever help the UK, certainly not as often as they should - look at the handling of British beef in france - tens of thousands of farmers are now far worse off due to France banning british beef for no reason, despite EU warnings, and the fact that it was safer than French Beef as regards vCJD, due to UK safety pratices, and an EU hearing later ruled that although france was in the wrong, and shoulf compensate British farmers, the EU couldn't intervene, because it had not yet become EU law. Which means that any country doing something economically terrible for everyone else in the EU can get away with it once.

Well, the pointof joining a union is to make people come closer to each other, on a global scale. They want to erase nationalism. As I said before, it is a matter of time before you guys in UK find euro currency in your pocket. It doesn't matter if whole Britain says no. The same will happen in 100 years, when Earth will probably strive for a Global Union :P. Why then change currency? Well, it's probably irritating that you have to change currency and live under different laws when you travel only one hour. Believe me, people in the future will say the same, except that their plane now go faster, and that destinations that takes us 12 hours to reach now will decrease to 1, hehe... Anyways, remember this post when you read in your newspaper: "UK to change currency". :P