dune on 486

Guest Duke_Killersiil

And then you must have the luck that Dune2 will excually find 1m of ext. memory ::)

[ before you judge, that could be a lot more tricky then it seems ;) ]

oh believe me, i know :). But i usually set the option use extended memory off. You could also turn off smartdrive, and some other things to raise you extened memory

It's strange. I've used a couple of diskettes with a copy of Dune II for months. Afther that a friend of mine gave the origional CD to me and ever sinds I've had troubles even getting the game running with Win'95. Let alone Win2K.

Nope, the world famous "can't find extended memory" failure.

The diskettes didn't have a nice install programm like the CD. That's the first differance. I can run the first part of the install programm from the CD, but when it check my system specs it tell's me I don't have enough ex.mem..

Always thought it had something to do with SD-ram and higher forms of ram then plain EDO.

Think I'm gonig to download me a version of Dune II from the first WAREZ site that gives me a popup tonight [ quit unlikely, I block those but still ;) ] so I can play the game again. ;)

heh ok.. Well it has nothing to do with your RAM. Extended memory comes with your motherboard, but because newer programs hardly, if at all use extended memory, the newer motherboards have only a small amount of extended memory to run dune2. However, when you are in dos mode, there are some ways to free up extended memory, perhaps that way you can pass the test. I don't know exactly what programs you can shut down to free up memory, perhaps Nyar knows more about it.

Emm I don't know is it the same on other windows...worked for me though.

In win98, right click the MS-DOS icon. There would be an "Memory" option. Under there would be options for EMS and XMS, which should be preset as auto. Change XMS to as high as possible(mine's 16384), then the problem should be solved...

Emm I don't know is it the same on other windows...worked for me though.

In win98, right click the MS-DOS icon. There would be an "Memory" option. Under there would be options for EMS and XMS, which should be preset as auto. Change XMS to as high as possible(mine's 16384), then the problem should be solved...

hmm didn't know that, it might even help :)

That trick didn't do it for me with Win2K.

But then I ones installed a fresh copy of 2K at 3 o'clock in the morning, at 3:30 I installed my network monitor / coneection and security programms, tried to install RA2 at about 3:45, still with just standard options and settings and the CD didn't play let alone install.

I'm used to those weird errors. And quit stupid but they always work with me. :-

hmm that may be the win2k problem. it's winNT. not realy made for gaming. make sure you have the right DirectX and you may need some extra garbage on your system to run it. But i dunno for sure. I do remember that problem with Mechwarrior 3 on my friends win2k comp. Can't exactly remember how we solved it. Well he didn't have it for long anyway. Soon he reinstalled win98

I had the same problem with '95 a while back [ about 4 years back ;) ]. After that I gave up playing games myself for a few years / months and by bad influances I started playing actively again about 1,5 year ago or so.

And Win2K is indead really cr** if you want to play games, but due certain restrictions I can not run a lower version of Windows. And going back to Linux isn't an option either. Not even to mention that the only game that really worked on it was Ix Boing and Quake. But then Quake was partially the normal DOS game.

But back on topic, RA run's fine now. I also had some troubles installing Hitman but hat have been fixed to.

In the mean time I've learned to life without DuneII. Took a lot of rehab. cources, and still seeing a psychyatrist for it .. but every day it's getting better and better.

And with Dune I, Dune 2000 and Frank Herbert's Dune .. I can't really complain.

[ I don't like emperor. got the discs somewhere around here but usually try to ignore them ;) ]

Dune2 on CD??

Can you copy the CD and send the ISO file to me?...

At www.the-underdogs.org you can get Dune1 CD and regular version but not dune 2...

Im sorry if this is counted as wares... but i don't think WW cares...

Extended memory can be gained in Dos 6.22 (and windows i think by writing this in the config sys file, under Device=Himem.sys):

Device=*where dos/win can locate emm386*Emm386.exe

(space) RAM 1024 -> The number is EMS converted from XMS in kilobytes (KB)

In the mean time I've learned to life without DuneII. Took a lot of rehab. cources, and still seeing a psychyatrist for it .. but every day it's getting better and better.

And with Dune I, Dune 2000 and Frank Herbert's Dune .. I can't really complain.

[ I don't like emperor. got the discs somewhere around here but usually try to ignore them ;) ]

The Dune 2 clones can help you get your fix. You can even play them on XP, which I believe is impossible with Dune 2. While the clones aren't complete like Dune 2, they have lots of improvements such as the ability to select multiple units (which saves you from lots of tedious things like click-on-unit-then-press-a-then-click-to-attack-then-repeat-thirty-times)