Family atomics

Emperor Harkonnen

no no it was a few kilotons. remember though that the bombs in japan that massacred around 150000 people were only a few kilotons. they dug a ditch for the shockwave that would spread very far. also they didnt know much about the horrible affects that the strong force had on people. digging a ditch was for protection the best way they had at the time.

Why when someone heard "nuke" he thought straight on thermonuclear devices of 20 MT equivalents. It had carried just tactical warhead of 150 kt. Usual like those in our arsenal. Until 1989. But also mortar has good range, about 10 km. Spread of light nuke should be 3-4 km.

i havent read any of the dune books, and i have some questions about this topic.

my understanding of this discussion is that in the dune universe, if a great house used nuclear weapons they would be obliverated by the other houses. i want to know, does this apply to all nuclear devices, even little tacticle ones? and does this apply to the empire? (is the empire even a house?)

also, were nukes ever used in ANY of the dune books? and are there any dune games that have nukes in them?

sorry for all the stupid questions, i hope someone will be happy to answer them

yes it goes for any type of nuclear weapons or nuclear devices to power weapons. Even if an explosion mimics a nuke (like shield-laser interaction)

the houses willcome down on that house.

But the rule only applies of a House uses the atomic against another House [ people ].

When used for other purposes

- DUNE spoilers -

like against the Shield Wall in Dune I it doesn't apply.

And Bashar Teg used a an atomic powered weapond, if I recal correct to destroy the surface of Dune.

Lasguns where also used against the God Emperor [ several times ] to assesenate him.

The empire is not a house on itself. Although the house of it's emperor is a house by itself the empire exists out of great and small houses, the Landsraad, Bene Gesserit, The Guild, CHOAM [ and some other smaller ones not to forget the planets and such ;) ].

***SPOILERS***

And Bashar Teg used a an atomic powered weapond, if I recal correct to destroy the surface of Dune.

That was the Honoured Matres that did that, to destroy Teg (and the spice)

Lasguns where also used against the God Emperor [ several times ] to assesenate him.

Lasguns alone aren't nuclear weapons.

Also, keep in mind that, with these examples, the Great Houses are more obscure than the pre-Atreidean era. They have less power, while rulers (i.e. Leto II) have much more power.