Dune 2000 Inspirational Review Video (2020) + Learning How to Map/Mod D2k

AZ-Stalker

6 hours ago, AZ-Stalker said:

EDIT: What does RepairTickRate do? I'd like the AI not to repair anything.

:)?

6 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

I didn't ever knew there were a 0.3 version of this tool.

The tool collection index needs to be updated most likely. It would help if there was a "DUNE 2000 MAPPING - EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW" thread of sorts where these things can be regularly and collaboratively updated.

Anyway, you advice was solid guys. I fixed the stuff I was having trouble with and can now say that the first mission is about 95% done (briefings, little mods, ect. included) and ready for proper v1.0 release, while the second mission is still undergoing changes and is about 70% ready. I work on the campaign in bursts when I grab a few hours of free time for development. Also, a cool thing I'm likely going to do is make some videos about the stuff I'm working on and the missions themselves from my perspective. All of this is taking time, but I'm getting there piece by piece.

Edited by AZ-Stalker

The tool collection index needs to be updated most likely. It would help if there was a "DUNE 2000 MAPPING - EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW" thread of sorts where these things can be regularly and collaboratively updated.

I need @Fey to tell me in which post he downloaded that version so I can add it.

I can add to that index the last manual that klofkack did; maybe I may even do a sub-section called "manuals" and have together the multiple manuals that are now scattered.

Just be glad that there is a AI manual and a basic script one; I wrote those with some help from Fey, but english it's not my first language; I would prefer if I wasn't the one doing it, but since the last tutorial done was by Feda with some parts s bit outdated, and nobody was going to do such manual, I steped in and tried to at least do something to help newcomers.

Fey knows better how to do custom tilesets, altering data to change graphics and making very advance changes with Tibed, but he still has like 7 of my campaigns in queue to play (yeah, that many) so he doesn't have the time to write manuals.

I did a FAQ some time ago here:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27855-map-and-mission-editor-by-klofcak-faqs-frequently-asked-questions/
But only covers mostly errors that the game may show during the game or before the game.
I may be a bit usefull to you like why when you press "test" the game shows an specific error, I cover basic errors, but still.

10 hours ago, AZ-Stalker said:

:)?

Oh, that's easy. I buff my AIs on normal base vs. base maps to always repair everything except walls as soon as they're damaged. Look for BuildingRepairValue and set it to 0.000!
https://prnt.sc/rvifv1

At 0.999, the AI will begin repairs as soon as a structure is under 100% HP. The default is around 50% HP.

1 hour ago, Fey said:

Oh, that's easy.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

I see you have already done a lot for the community and I'm very grateful for all the resources and information you provide to everyone. Thanks for doing what you can and sharing your knowledge!

21 hours ago, AZ-Stalker said:

The tools in the collection thread are not up to date then. Mine is v0.1 apparently.

Well, I observed that the tools within D2K+ toolkit and Dune 2000 Gruntmods edition are not up to date.

I downloaded Gruntmods edition (apparently the latest available version from https://gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/ the first download link) and there are tools included, but I found out that for example D2kEditor version 1.0 is included there, which is pretty outdated version that should not be there. Such old version might only confuse people and steal them off the latest features from recent version.

Also, the D2K+ toolkit (https://d2kplus.com/d2k-toolkit/) is VERY outdated, there's D2kEditor version 0.3 and not all tools are included there. It has the most downloads, but it is actually pretty useless.

Within the tools available on https://d2kplus.com/ there are some outdated/pointless tools that are no longer needed, for example Map Renderer, Mission Editor, and even Tile Attribute Editor (this one will get obsolete after release of D2kEditor 1.4). It would be good to remove the from there and move them into something like "outdated tools archive", where would be download for older versions of tools for historical purposes.

Contrarily, I noticed the Resource Editor is completely missing from D2K+ page.

And by the way, the most recent string table editor that you talked about, is available for download here: https://d2kplus.com/ui-table-editor/

@Gruntlord6 any thoughts about doing some revision and update of tools included in D2K+ and Gruntmods edition?

Yeah, gruntlords web-page needs a heavily update on plenty of stuff, at some point I asked if will be worth if I upload my multiple campaigns and updates (I also have a few campaigns heavily outdated), and he told me to do it; soon enough he upload the aerial nightmare single mission, and wrote that he will wait 1 month until the next so people don't get overwhelmed.

Only gruntmods itself got some updates to fix some of the problems that the previous version had, like missing the files from the basic tileset or something like that.

I think only the text.uib editor it's the only one worth it; I still used to use the mission editor with custom tilesets that I had some problems loading in the early versions of your editor, but now your editor do everything.

And yes, there are confusion; I still remember saying to somebody to get the 1.2 or 1.3 version, because he was using that one with the units an buildings all together.

On 4/8/2020 at 10:09 PM, Klofkac said:

And by the way, the most recent string table editor that you talked about, is available for download here: https://d2kplus.com/ui-table-editor/

I will take notes (or marked in favoruites) and add all the missing stuff into the main index, really thinking on a sub-section called "manuals" and maybe writing the year of something to be clear that, although the tutorial is still usefull, it is a bit outdated or incomplete.

Edit:
The UI table editor was already on the index, it's just that if you go straigh into the toolkit you will get the first version. I think every single tool it's added individually too, with separated instances. I may simply remove the toolkit entry and just let the individual tools in case somebody needs them.

Edited by Cm_blast

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been slowly working on the 2nd and 3rd missions in my campaign after polishing up the 1st. And I think it's safe to say that I've reached mid-development hell as my knowledge has increased to the point where I am now trying more complicated stuff, but failing a lot and spending most of my time trying to fix bugs in event scripting.

One suggestion for the editor would be to code in that the event line notes actually move with the shifting events. Right now if I remove an event, the notes don't shuffle with them, and the last one in the list just hides itself, only to pop back up once that line is being used again by a new event. A bit confusing and extra work, but it's just a quality of life thing, nothing critical.

I've run into problems trying to make double or triple conditioned events that have an OR basis. Like for example, other than the fact that my MCV and ConYard Failure state broke for some reason and I had to add extra flag ticks because it would randomly fail the game sometimes, as one tick extra wasn't enough as per suggested (it's a rare occurance though), the main issue I'm running into is for example this - I would like to have 2 (or more) tile revealed trigger events that execute a chain of events once, depending on which you discover first. So I have 2-3 entrances to a base, and depending on from which side you approach the entrance and reveal a tile, one part of the base reveals itself and plays a message. Some entrances require more tile reveals in order to be sure you get the message and don't slip past it. During testing I've also found that the MCV doesn't trigger these events, only other units, strange. But yeah, the thing I'm having trouble with is that it, for example, one entrance reveals the base part, but doesn't play the message, and sometimes neither work, and also sometimes both work but only one plays the message. I'm sure you fellas have already mastered this, but it's really buggy on my end, and I'm really trying to set up the flags properly and thinking in terms of programming how the AND / OR functions would execute properly. But so far only linear events seem to be going properly, and whenever I try to complicate them, even if I separate the events themselves, I can't seem to make only one event trigger in full if there is a choice of where you can run into it.

So that's what I've been learning about through trial and error in the time I have available.

5 hours ago, AZ-Stalker said:

So I've been slowly working on the 2nd and 3rd missions in my campaign after polishing up the 1st. And I think it's safe to say that I've reached mid-development hell as my knowledge has increased to the point where I am now trying more complicated stuff, but failing a lot and spending most of my time trying to fix bugs in event scripting.

Some scripts, if they are really complicated, can be painfull. I remember once I tried a map with a very elaborated script envolving having less than 1000, bewteen 1000 and 1500, bewteen 1000 and 7000, bewteen 6500 and 7000, and over 7000. It turns out to be imposible, but even the basic version and the multi-triggers (if it reach <1000 - 1000-7000 or > 7000 multiple times triggering multiple times BUT also having in consideration another building without overlapping 2 messages at once.

Took me really a long long time to make it work. So I understand you.

One suggestion for the editor would be to code in that the event line notes actually move with the shifting events. Right now if I remove an event, the notes don't shuffle with them, and the last one in the list just hides itself, only to pop back up once that line is being used again by a new event. A bit confusing and extra work, but it's just a quality of life thing, nothing critical.

Oh yeah, I notice this thing too.
Write this part here, he will read it and add it if possible.
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/28587-map-and-mission-editor-v14-release-candidate-full-of-improvements-and-new-features/

I rarely use it, although maybe one reason was for the notes not sticking to an specific condition; but if you know you are going to use it right now often tell him.

I've run into problems trying to make double or triple conditioned events that have an OR basis. Like for example, other than the fact that my MCV and ConYard Failure state broke for some reason and I had to add extra flag ticks because it would randomly fail the game sometimes, as one tick extra wasn't enough as per suggested (it's a rare occurance though), the main issue I'm running into is for example this - I would like to have 2 (or more) tile revealed trigger events that execute a chain of events once, depending on which you discover first.

Yeah, the "no MCV - No base/building" it's something I encounter a few times, sometimes even for enemies.
You can slighy alter (or maybe you can't) your map by adding other units like an infantry or, if it is about non-combat units, an eengineer, pretty harmless.
you add "no MCV" = you loose.
unit destroyed + based destroyed = you loose, so the engineer should be alive preventing the loose.

To chain events; were have been using reinforcements working this way.
Imagine you step into tile revealed number 1; you tied a "area to deploy discovered..." line, and at the same time you drop a combat tank, an infantry, a missile tank or whatever unit for the player or the AI, one that doesn't exist on your map (and you are sure the AI cannot build it).
The carryall will take 5-10-20 seconds (depending on the position on the map) to drop that unit.
So you add a new condition "combat tank exist".
so, you add another event that ask for this combat tank, when this combat tank exist, a new line triggers "...now use your MCV and build a base".

If you need a third line it's the same event, make a new unit, a siege tank for example, to appear.

Sometimes I make it "offscreen" with an AI that it is not present. I make sure they are far enough to nobody to fight them, like this.
image.thumb.png.893d3d173b834f0cf7f082de05861048.png

Unreachable area, Any AI present it's ally with them, so that active AI will don't try to attack it (and that group can be neutral, so they don't move), and, because the fog or war, player won't ever know they were units there.
On this imagen I set 5 chained messages, but you can make any other kind of chained triggers.

I don't know if this help with your problem. That screenshots it's from "The origin of the mercenaries - mission 1" if you want to check yourself; on that map on the first message the Harkonnen tells you to "stop moving", because they are still enemy, after the 3º message, they agree for you to work with them and turn ally, but again, that happen at the third message, not as soon as you step into the specific tile.

During testing I've also found that the MCV doesn't trigger these events, only other units, strange

MCV trigger too, I just did it.
Keep in mind that the MCV only has a very small sight. if the specific tile it is not revealed the thing won't work.

if the area your MCV enter it is 5 tile wide, you may need to adad 3 tile revealed, then you can for example make a flag true and showing the message based on the flag (to avoid the same message multiple times).

This way:
Notice the tile revealed are separated by only 2 tiles, so those 3 are to cover 1 entrance.

image.thumb.png.39795265c6cb1279b9710fd7341790fe.png

When an unit reveal either of those 3 (because if it was a small sight radious you can miss it, so this way you cover a 7 tile wide entrance), any of them, whatever you reveal first, makes flag number 3 as true

And if flag number 3 it's true, then the message triggers (only once). <-- tested right now and works. so this set up totally works. Message, reinforcements or whatever you need.

Note: this won't work:
image.thumb.png.f5fc8133090a44b678962d35f51e98f5.png

The message will pop up 3 times, if the 3 tiles are revealed.

For multiple entrances, you may use different flags to be true.
Like this:

image.thumb.png.84ed4c36ec2686993fcdbee02f8f86f8.png

2 first "tile revealed" are covering the bottom part of the entrance. if you unit goes there, flag nº 4 goes true, so it triggers "Bottom part discovered" message.
If later (or first) you go from the right area, you will step into tile 38-3 or 38-7, flag 6 will turn true, and that will trigger "right side discovered".

Now, if you want to only trigger the one you step first "bottom or right", but not the other, you need yet another flag., but I won't enter there unless you really need it.

Just remember, the MCV has a very low sight, if you create an entrance like this, you will need several tile revealed ones, or you can miss it.

image.png.ced0c20c0dd8a6a4bc346d6f31f77d12.png

with a 2 wide vision you need to place as many if you want to be 100% sure that the MCV will reveal at least one of them, (well, I think even with 3 well situated you can still do it, or you can even place a piece of rock just to force the MCV to move 1 tile to the left, enough to be impossible for him to miss the mark).

I hope all of this helps you.

Edited by Cm_blast
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for all the in depth information. It helps greatly with my learning and I will report back with more progress soon.

As for the bugs in my scripts... https://i.imgur.com/pIA8CML.jpg

(I'd post the picture instead of the link for comedy, but I still don't know how to post pictures here. and I've tried)

Edited by AZ-Stalker

2 hours ago, AZ-Stalker said:

Thanks for all the in depth information. It helps greatly with my learning and I will report back with more progress soon.

As for the bugs in my scripts... https://i.imgur.com/pIA8CML.jpg

(I'd post the picture instead of the link for comedy, but I still don't know how to post pictures here. and I've tried)

If you cannot upload any file, it's because you are not a confirmed user. Send a PM to gobalopper to let him know.
On the top area there is a "Staff"; Gobalopper it's the first with a weird teeth moster... just send a quick PM will be enough.

Don't feel, bad, I found a bug too, a Sandworm that dissapear on their own.
He appears, eat 3 harversters, dissapear, then 3 minutes laters appears again, move around for 5-10 seconds and dissapear. 
So my map it's "broken" and I will force to change the theme since that sandworm was needed for my idea... well, I never saw that happening before and I don't know why.

Edited by Cm_blast

On 4/17/2020 at 12:27 PM, AZ-Stalker said:

This is actually a bug in the editor I was not aware of, this needs to be fixed. Thanks for pointing this out!

It looks like event notes were not much used by other people so far, otherwise I would get this problem report much sooner. It's there for years.

1 hour ago, Klofkac said:

It's there for years.

I really should use the notes, I just kinda have been using event rearrangement and memory to sort where things are but then I come back to a map later and it's confusing lol

2 hours ago, Klofkac said:

It looks like event notes were not much used by other people so far, otherwise I would get this problem report much sooner. It's there for years

I think I used a few notes on the earliest versiosn, 1.1 or 1.2, don't remember which one had; on the post you said something about being a "final release" and working on something else; I didn't ever expect for you to release the version 1.3 one year later.

So by the time I found the note problem I didn't bother to tell for a minor bug like this; and my maps back them were much more simple I didn't require to use them, by the time you release v 1.3 months later I forgot their existence.

But now that AZ mention it. There are a few moments which I will likely will use notes for myself on very complex maps, I have one map that building the High tech it makes 2 flags to be false at the same time (plus the only-once-trigger flag).

To the right on the events there is a bar for "note", but it is not possible to write anything there or I don't know how.

image.thumb.png.bce0909ed65b9715a8717600930233c5.png

The right empty area, having notes on why flag 27 and 37 become false on 3 different parts of the game will make it easy to remember why I did it.

3 hours ago, Klofkac said:

This is actually a bug in the editor I was not aware of, this needs to be fixed. Thanks for pointing this out!

I started using notes from the the very beginning to keep organized and have an easier time learning. So this would be much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Fey said:

I come back to a map later and it's confusing lol

So far this happens to me only when my notes shift around because of the bug.

33 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

To the right on the events there is a bar for "note", but it is not possible to write anything there or I don't know how.

Here is a visual overview on how to add in notes @Cm_blast. There are two systems apparently, one APPLY button is for the event list, the other is for the conditions list. Each system has a different note text field. Use the left one (red) and apply it to put a note on the event list, and the right one (green) to use the condition notes. The condition notes appear as (5)Tile Revealed(NOTE) I think.

D2kEditorNoteSystem.thumb.png.f59c2d4d12f7c86e885ce287f8332c7f.png

If you haven't seen already, this is how I organize my events and triggers. I add in the same note names so that I know at a glance which part is under which event. Hopefully the bug gets fixed at some point because if you, say, remove the event at line 14, all the notes would stay as they are, but the events would move up. So line 15 (note "FF") would be changed to "Redzani Support Team", because the events have moved up one line, but not the notes. So watch out for that. Only use notes that you are certain will stay there until it gets fixed, otherwise it can get messy trying to fix it.

Also, is there a way to move events or conditions up or down? To rearrange them? I saw it mentioned in a post above, but I haven't figured out how to do it. And does it mess up triggers, like if a flag event lists a line, but the rearrangement changed the lines - does it automatically update or just brakes the event?

Edited by AZ-Stalker

29 minutes ago, AZ-Stalker said:

Here is a visual overview on how to add in notes @Cm_blast. There are two systems apparently, one APPLY button is for the event list, the other is for the conditions list. Each system has a different note text field. Use the left one (red) and apply it to put a note on the event list, and the right one (green) to use the condition notes. The condition notes appear as (5)Tile Revealed(NOTE) I think.

ooooh, the left one. I am sooo dumb xD. Just ignore my last comment.
This is the good thing of having fresh eyes, after so many years working with 5 different editors/tools it become hard to remember even the simpliest things.

So it is only left the rearraging notes as you said while moving or deleting events/conditions.

29 minutes ago, AZ-Stalker said:

Also, is there a way to move events or conditions up or down? To rearrange them? I saw it mentioned in a post above, but I haven't figured out how to do it. And does it mess up triggers, like if a flag event lists a line, but the rearrangement changed the lines - does it automatically update or just brakes the event?

If you right click on the event or condition it will show the options, but PgUp and PgDown you can move them quickly.
There is also a short-cut to duplicate conditions or events.

You cannot do this on the units or the small box that sais "conditions in event", at least for now. But rearraging the other parts it's easy and helps to have all organized.

Edited by Cm_blast

Okay, so I've wanted to do a lot of complicated things in the second mission and decided to scale back and keep it simpler. I've learned a lot but have decided against going big so soon within scripting. Working on a third mission which will be larger and hopefully more interesting. Here's the first and second missions in my campaign. The first is done, the second needs testing still and probably polish if any bugs or tile errors were missed. 

The mission briefings are within the game, so open up the menu and read through if anyone would like to test them and leave feedback. I consider them to be in a Beta phase as of now, so I could go back and edit them some more before I release them officially of course.

The maps come with modded files, so back up your game files before installing. Let me know your thoughts.

M1 Knightfall - Infantry, No Building
M2 New Sands - Light Vehicles, Base VS Base

D2k Redzani M1 M2 (Beta) Fix 1.rar

Edited by AZ-Stalker
MISSION 1 Had a Testing Unit by Accident, Reuploaded Files

UPDATE: The previous download had an accidental extra unit in mission 1, which reveal the map as if you passed most of the mission. I've reuploaded the files for anyone wishing to test it.

I have no idea why when I save a map, it sometimes keeps the old version. I overwrite the map file and it still had the test unit. Strange.

Edited by AZ-Stalker

8 hours ago, AZ-Stalker said:

I started using notes from the the very beginning to keep organized and have an easier time learning. So this would be much appreciated!

Today I fixed the event and condition notes, so they will move along with actual events or conditions when you organize them (move up/down, add new or delete). I'm going to release another v1.4 release candidate in the upcoming days or weeks, so you can look forward to this.

Just a side note, you can actually give names to flag conditions using condition notes. I see you just used numbers in condition notes, not sure why, but you can give them any name.

3 hours ago, AZ-Stalker said:

Here's the first and second missions in my campaign. The first is done, the second needs testing still and probably polish if any bugs or tile errors were missed. 

Thanks, I'm definitely looking forward to try this out, but probably tomorrow or some other day.

42 minutes ago, Klofkac said:

Today I fixed the event and condition notes

Fantastic! Can't wait for the v1.4 release! Thank you. :)

I see you just used numbers in condition notes, not sure why, but you can give them any name.

I initially started writing the line numbers as it corresponded with the flag to keep track easier as I usually looked at the Contents tab rather than the line number. When I was starting to learn the editor for the first time, I wasn't sure where it would show up, so I wrote what I felt could help out later. It kinda stuck with me going forward, so might have made it a small

I'm definitely looking forward to try this out

Feedback appreciated - read the briefings within the menu for information. I'll also flesh out the story and book/movie/game connections once I make a thread for the campaign. Hope you didn't download the previous archive though, as the first mission ruins itself automatically due to a leftover test unit. Hopefully no more accidental surprises:

D2k Redzani M1 M2 (Beta) Fix 1.rar

Sample screenshot:

Redzani-M2.jpg.9616a0307a3aa10ebe88d8f78dad117f.jpg

Edited by AZ-Stalker

Okay, so I've wanted to do a lot of complicated things in the second mission and decided to scale back and keep it simpler. I've learned a lot but have decided against going big so soon within scripting.

And then there is the other side of the coin, with me, sometimes adding for the sake of adding xD; I have been in heavy trouble for trying to go the other around.
For example. on 1 map I want the player to have early vision of where the 3 closest enemy bases are.
3 reveal maps? Sure, easy, works 100% time... but no, I decided to have 3 fremen allied with you that go against the enemy base to the south, step on a "tile revealed" to showcase that reveal map; after being killed, 3 more fremen spawn and move into the top area, step on another reveal, die and more spawn to go to the left, same deal.
This required 3 extra conditions (tile revealed), 1 berseker, 2 spawns, 3 messages, ¿3? flags AND 2 changes on alliances.

Over complicating things. why? Vecause I can xD. And then sometimes the Fremen makes the enemy to send all the defending units against the player suffering more casualties that intended and breaking the early defenses and proportions I had set up for them forcing me to re-do the beggining and wasting my time when 3 reveal maps would work the same and the Fremen don't ever show up from the rest of the map.

The mission briefings are within the game, so open up the menu and read through if anyone would like to test them and leave feedback. I consider them to be in a Beta phase as of now, so I could go back and edit them some more before I release them officially of course.

I will play them soon. I am struggling with my map due the sandworm behaviour, which was unknown for me until this day, so thinking on workarounds to trying to keep the idea.
So after several days I have an idea to try, but still lots of works to do on the map itself, so meantime I can give a test for your map.

Just a question, what tiledata changes? 

2 hours ago, AZ-Stalker said:

I have no idea why when I save a map, it sometimes keeps the old version. I overwrite the map file and it still had the test unit. Strange.

I never saw that happening to me.
The only similar to that problem can be if you save the map, add some things, press "test", and later you exit withouth saving again.
Because when you press "test" the program doesn't load that map, but creates a new file called "testmap" if I remember.

2 hours ago, Klofkac said:

Today I fixed the event and condition notes, so they will move along with actual events or conditions when you organize them (move up/down, add new or delete). I'm going to release another v1.4 release candidate in the upcoming days or weeks, so you can look forward to this.

Can be done that the "units" and "Conditions in event" boxes to also be changed their position too?

1 hour ago, AZ-Stalker said:

Feedback appreciated - read the briefings within the menu for information. I'll also flesh out the story and book/movie/game connections once I make a thread for the campaign. Hope you didn't download the previous archive though, as the first mission ruins itself automatically due to a leftover test unit. Hopefully no more accidental surprises:

It is possible to delete the previous file you uploaded, you can removed it and later reupload the updated one. Or here you can just simply delete the upload so nobody will get that version but the newest.

Pd: Juicy screenshot; very small path to move on but very full on details.

Edited by Cm_blast

1 hour ago, Cm_blast said:

what tiledata changes?

I think there are no changes yet. I was working on something but didn't use it in the end, so currently the file is just to remind me that I might make changes later. Redundant at the moment.

The only similar to that problem can be if you save the map, add some things, press "test", and later you exit withouth saving again.

Because when you press "test" the program doesn't load that map, but creates a new file called "testmap" if I remember.

I think this might be the issue. It might have just confused me during saving and testing, so I uploaded the wrong file.

Pd: Juicy screenshot; very small path to move on but very full on details.

I uploaded a similar one a while ago. Not much changed except the map is now ready. Last time it wasn't even created beyond a few cliffs. I'm trying to simulate leaving the mountain range. This map will get more open, and the next one will finally feature the deep desert which is very open.

Alrigh, I played the maps.

First map, fine, all really narrow but easy to navigate; first time I deal with the enemy trike, later while searching where to go I saw I could go around, so when I died the last unit at the end I restarted and did much better.

I like to point that this is the literally the first time that the thumper it's used for an AI for something plot related.
I only use him once to pretend that he was a civilian on the Tleilaxu Campaign, but that's it (not counting maps with the player using it, which are also not that many).

About the second map; ok, this caugh me bit of guard, since by the time I realize, there isn't a single bloom nearby; probably it's to blame most custom maps that then to have mine fields near the area with 1 or even 2 blooms; there was a point I build the 3 ref to increase a bit the income, but other than that, it was an easy map, only except the surprise wave that come while I was looking away, but that's it.

About the bug you are encountering on this mission 2, just guessing... has to do with the AI sending units one by one instead grouping? or you did that on purpose? (reason why they have so many units just sitting there.

Looking into the editor, here this:
image.thumb.png.996de8f27e14792e973751256491adbb.png

Unless you are aiming at something to add later, you don't need to create as many set of flags to trigger multiple things (maybe this is the part you were trying to do more complex and change your mind).
If that's the case, then ignore my next part, if not, then check.image.thumb.png.9e627980ee6bb39dad8a412e8f552958.png

Just a single flag it's enough, the 3 events will trigger at the same time, that's 2 slots to add any other things you may need.

Also, if I am not mistaken (although the tile revealed on some circunstances doesn't work as intended), any event with the tile revealed condition doesn't require a flag to trigger only once.

Removing the flag this part should work the same.

image.thumb.png.2d47548bdf31af065bcd6e1f106be5d9.png

WIth this you have already another extra slot free, and you have a few more reveal tile around, so you can get multiple rooms to add more scripting.

This imagen comes from my first mission on the fremen campagin.image.thumb.png.cd0ba314dc285683431085b72f8da5f8.png

No flags for either the reveal map, the show message and the light infantry as reinforcement, the tile revealed already make that to trigger only once. Don't worry, I used to add those flags until I realize that they are not needed.

And that's it.

Ps: I like how you added the unit as part of the condition to trigger the messages tied with the tile revealed, so if you loose the map (thus that unit doesn't exist), game won't trigger multiple messages at once since it reveals the map when you loose. That was a good idea.

Edited by Cm_blast

37 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

About the bug you are encountering on this mission 2, just guessing... has to do with the AI sending units one by one instead grouping? or you did that on purpose?

I tested them grouping larger forces, but then they destroyed the Redzani guards at the mountain range entrace super fast. Then I tried to set them to trickle units bit by bit, and this is what came out of that. How would you make them group up first, but not too strong? I had trouble configuring that.

42 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

Unless you are aiming at something to add later, you don't need to create as many set of flags to trigger multiple things (maybe this is the part you were trying to do more complex and change your mind).

Yes and no. I did have a much more complex setup before, and then had to clean it up because it turned into a mess that kept braking the game. I've learned a lot from that experience. It's not that complicated, but I have to know how to make it work in detail first before trying to script it with limited knowledge of how the scripts work in game. The other reason is that I automatically placed them to make sure things work, even though I remember you mentioning before in this thread that it isn't necessary to have flags for some things. I will experiment and adapt my technique to save event space in the future.

45 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

I like how you added the unit as part of the condition to trigger the messages tied with the tile revealed, so if you loose the map (thus that unit doesn't exist), game won't trigger multiple messages at once since it reveals the map when you loose. That was a good idea.

I tried ti be purposeful with that. Some minor things are still just tile revealed triggers, but for the Harkonnen base, for example, I made it so your RZ-Com support AI uses the Outpost's radar "scan" to confirm it's location. That way, there is a bit of story in there, the triggers are safer from mission failed reveals, and I give players who like to build the base first a reward for building instead of rushing in. Those who rush will still get the message, but they'll already discover the Harkonnen production buildings so less of an effect for them.

Thanks for all the detailed feedback and suggestions. I reference all of the input I get from you all quite a bit, and try to integrate your advice into my workflow.

One thing that I know about myself, is that I prefer to be detailed and small, rather than empty and big. So I put a lot of effort into story telling with the environment of the map. The bases and surroundings were decorated with that in mind. For the third map, it will open up more as we're moving into the deep desert, so more vehicle space to navigate will most likely be featured. As I learn and practice more, I will add to the complexity and difficulty of the missions accordingly.

Here's a little preview of the third mission I'm working on. Moving into the deep desert, the Commander's visions will lead him (you) to a Fremen settlement which houses one of their underground water catch basins - critical to the Fremen ideal of terraforming Arrakis. The Atreides are helping protect the settlement as part of an alliance with the Fremen (as the Harkonnen are around in full force). The Fremen in return allow Spice harvesting within their territory. The Redzani forces are asked to assist them in this situation, opening new opportunities going forward.

955818771_RedzaniM3AlphaPreview.thumb.png.a8f13605b5449989d3d0c5137b309efe.png

Screenshot disclaimer - the map isn't complete, so the way things are presented here might very well change by the time it's ready for release.

Going to have some fun with this one, as there probably won't be a full base available to the player at the start.

EDIT: Ignore tile mistakes. Like I said, work in progress. :P

Edited by AZ-Stalker