I don't want to get your hopes up.. but I can't deny it much either...

stefanhendriks

Little update. I am in the middle of moving over (to a new home). So I have been surrounded by a lot of stuff in the past few months (a few months to go).

I made a prototype for Indienamic - which used the d2tm engine and some other hacked stuff. After some reflection I found I didn't have that much fun with it as just working on the Dune game. So I decided to just focus my time on that (and not both, as I have to merge features in both engines).

Recently I worked on a feature to show tooltips in the sidebar. 

image.thumb.png.40faf5fb208739b76dce09c01e742a63.png

More to do, more to come. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/26/2018 at 5:43 AM, stefanhendriks said:

Worked on the sidebar a bit: http://dune2themaker.fundynamic.com/

What do you think?

5ae0e15d475c9_ScreenShot2018-04-25at21_58_42.thumb.png.d799d2042570928ffe5cd75316b1e3c5.png

Looks very nice Stefan. I remember you and I had a big convo 'somewhere' about your project and my tribute to it a year or 2 back. Checked my email - nothing, checked DM's here - nothing, checked my posting history here - nothing. But I know we had one darn it, I'm not going crazy here haha.

Anyway I'm glad you see you're still at it. You project always had the best graphics of all the Dune 2 rebuilds/remakes/reconstructions out there haha.

Edited by Blake00

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 11/15/2019 at 12:22 PM, Non sono Mandrake said:

It's a pity that you didn't just finish the Allegro version of D2TM, 10 years ago. The official demo looks like 95% complete. We could have been playing the best Dune 2 fan game for years, instead with this Java attempt it will probably end up with two unfinished games...

I understand how you feel. In fact I tried this a few times (working on the Allegro version). However, I found it in such a state that I had to revert quite a bit of commits to get to a working DEMO 4.5 state. The Java attempt is taking much longer, yes, and its hard to build such a game with the time constraints given. Then again, I haven't given up yet. (although development pace is a crawl).

The demo looks a lot more complete, which is true. Most noticeably it misses the options menu. 

9 hours ago, Non sono Mandrake said:

well, let's be realistic... the Java version is too far from completion and the people of the Dune 2 community are getting old. I understand if you're having fun with Java, but if you aim to deliver to history a complete game, maybe the Allegro version still has more chances

In terms of completion you're correct. The Allegro version is by far the most feature complete. (Although you could argue the version I had on my arrakis (download) page also is quite far.)

But you have caught my attention...

In fact, it is a sad track record to see so many rewrites and none of them completed. I counted them today and I came up with a total of 6. Although back in the day it made sense, (much free time, and learning new things) nowadays I would never consider to rewrite. Heck, even in my professional career as Software Engineer I advice mostly against rewrites...

That being said, I spent some time today to go through the source code and found WIP 337 (which is further than DEMO 4.0 I believe) and got it compiling on my machine. I have made sure the master branch on Github points to the WIP 337 version now. So basically there will be 2 repos then, the Allegro one and the Java one. Its nice to have it back to a state where you can play/do stuff and improve from there. The big overhaul (refactoring) i started on those WIP versions where too much. (a lesson I already learned, but d2tm tends to stay behind several years). 

It would be nice to deliver a completed version at some point, although I am not sure how many people would play it anyway. (also considering the many other clones out there), but who knows. I mostly do this for fun anyway.

Regardless, it is nice of you to remind me and care for its progress. Its motivating, even if the message might be a bit hard to hear (though you're right).

Just keep in mind. People often only care about results.

Announcing that you make something will not really get the attention.

Announcing that you made somethng will.

I had the same thing going with my board game. Never had an end result for anyone here.
Simply did my playing with a couple of friends. That's it. But even that died off.
As soon as you pause your project, it is actually dead. That is how I see a project these days.

6 hours ago, X3M said:

Just keep in mind. People often only care about results.

Announcing that you make something will not really get the attention.

Announcing that you made somethng will.

I had the same thing going with my board game. Never had an end result for anyone here.
Simply did my playing with a couple of friends. That's it. But even that died off.
As soon as you pause your project, it is actually dead. That is how I see a project these days.

You’re right. Thats why I wont announce anything until there is some result to show.

and announcing is perhaps even a bit too much. Just a notitification of a new release should do (at the beginning atleast)

• 2 weeks later...

I worked on some issues, mostly getting things back to a stable state. So now the game runs on multiple resolutions (as where the unstable WIPS, but now it is stable 😉 ). Also, the Skirmish menu is flexible. Here some screenshots of the C++ project:

image.thumb.png.a6268d2ffc1ce8a1a0cbd8a51549212d.png

And skirmish menu:

image.thumb.png.1502b7b4de3b59ae97a72efe8f9362ae.png

13 hours ago, Non sono Mandrake said:

Did I convince you to resume the project? :)

Ask me if you need some playtesting!

Lets just say you made a fair point and I gave it some thought. :D 

About playtesting, thx. I'm not sure yet how often I'd release a version or how to go about playtesting in general. But if there is a version, I'd report back here.

Well, if it is an option. It would be sufficient.
If the resolution becomes to good, the icon's become to small. That is what I am facing with games like Tiberian Sun etc.
Having the sidebar being able to double would make up for it...

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 10:40 AM, stefanhendriks said:

Lets just say you made a fair point and I gave it some thought. :D 

About playtesting, thx. I'm not sure yet how often I'd release a version or how to go about playtesting in general. But if there is a version, I'd report back here.

Well. Considering the state of the project now… how do you feel about it? Btw I am looking for someyy playtesters for the upcoming 0.6.0… if you want to help, send me an email to stefan[at]fundynamic.com