New missions

xima

I don't think, maybe the project about new campaigns is stalled?

By the way I would like put a "competition" for the project Create Your Dune 2 Campaigns, where who wants, can send own Scenario changed files to me or MrFlibble, and the best/most creative missions could be taken for DuneX project and my Dune 2 project...

What do you all think? ;)

Yes, you're right.

Maybe we could make a tutorial about use of utility for depack SCENARIO.PAK archive (Dune 2 PAK), what user-friendly editor use to create missions (as DuneMaps or Dune 2 Scenario Editor) and useful info about .ini terms and definitions (like this: http://www.myway.de/richieland/Dune%20II%20Scenario%20Format%20Specification.pdf).

You can already play your own missions in Dune Dynasty.

Just make a campaign folder with your scenarios in it, they don't need
to be PAK-ed.  It needs a META.INI for the campaign name, but I think
it'll just take resources from the base campaign if it's missing anything.

Yeah, I meant single scenarios, dynasty. Like the C&C1 and Red Alert 1 expansion packs. Get them all in a list, select one, play it, and return to the main menu.

You'd probably need an extra "Buildlevel=" key in the ini, though. and probably a "Name=" too, for listing purposes.

...you know, actually, it'd be really cool if the build level could be set per house, somehow :P

You can also load and try new changed Scen*.ini files by "Load a Game" corresponding to level you want to try the Scenario, and then chosing "Restart the Scenario".

Better if the savegame files belong to v1.0, so when you try last v1.07, Scenario will be restared automatically because game sees different savegame file format.

Thanks a lot. 

But scenario editor is not the best for me, because I am desperate for playing something new. I really want be surprised in playing. 

Point is that I played all of Dune2 rounds many many many times! I know all scenarios, each location of spice fields, sandworms, enemy buildings and units too (its boring!) :-) 

Today - its 20 years anniversary for my playing this title :-) and I wish to celebrate this pretty issue by playing some new scenarios. 

Did any of you something in editor? .) 

Thx. 

Maybe for the 25th anniversary can be released final playable DuneX? :P

I'd really like to be able to release some very good playable Scenarios, for my new Campaign Plot about Dune 2 new edition.

And should do a new plot even for DuneX, right MrFlibble? ;)

The actually problem is the very limited time to dedicate for this. :(

The map editor that is integrated in Dune Legacy can be used to build Dune II compatible maps (just select that option when starting a new map). It should work for most map editing requirements though there might be some corner cases where manually modifying the INI file in a text editor is needed. Of course it still is a lot of hard work to make a really good map.

I would also like to ask any potential map maker to consider putting your map under a Creative Commons License: CC-BY-SA if you want to allow others to modify/improve your map or CC-BY-ND if you don't like any derivatives of your map. This way Dune II remakes like Dune Legacy or Dune Dynasty can ship these maps without legal troubles.

You can add license information with the Dune Legacy map editor or by simply adding to keys to the BASIC section of your map in a text editor:

[BASIC]License=CC-BY-SAAuthor=Unknown <unknown@mail.com>

I think we have many marvelous Dune II remakes available. But what is currently needed are new maps or even whole scenarios as pointed out by xima.

You'd probably need an extra "Buildlevel=" key in the ini, though. and probably a "Name=" too, for listing purposes.

...you know, actually, it'd be really cool if the build level could be set per house, somehow :P

Interesting idea! Dune Legacy has this currently per map (Key "TechLevel") but not per player.

Interesting idea! Dune Legacy has this currently per map (Key "TechLevel") but not per player.

The idea comes from the fact certain missions in the original game changed the AI tech levels in odd ways. MrFlibble theorized it could've been intentional, to make the three houses into three difficulty levels, with Harkonnen = easy, Atreides = normal, Ordos = hard. Despite this theory, there has been a lot of debate on whether this issue should be 'fixed'.

So, I thought, if you could actually set the tech level of each house separately in a scenario, you can purposely do such things in ways that make it very clear it's intentional.