About Co-Op

Feda

Allright so those who used the string editor may have noticed that there were entries related to some co-op mode. I talked with mvi about this and asked him if he knows if there could be some stuff about this in the uil files as i couldnt find anything. He said no, and that the code was never made/finished. He said that the only viable way to get Co-Op working is by using the server Gruntlord is working on.

So therefore my question: how's the server doing? Is it working, or are u working on it? Will it be launched with some specific future Gruntmods version? And gruntlord, can u do this?

I really think that this would be awesome, just imagine, say, the ixian campaign played with two people. :D

• Upvote 2

Allright so those who used the string editor may have noticed that there were entries related to some co-op mode. I talked with mvi about this and asked him if he knows if there could be some stuff about this in the uil files as i couldnt find anything. He said no, and that the code was never made/finished. He said that the only viable way to get Co-Op working is by using the server Gruntlord is working on.

So therefore my question: how's the server doing? Is it working, or are u working on it? Will it be launched with some specific future Gruntmods version? And gruntlord, can u do this?

I really think that this would be awesome, just imagine, say, the ixian campaign played with two people. :D

well if it ever happens i got plenty of ideas up my sleave..

Anyone had the idea of playing three teams in one game??

I did it just now..

I controlled harkonnen, atriedes and fremen with click of a button..

;)

• Upvote 1

I had the idea of 2-3 players controlling one house/sub-house though ;D

well i'm trying to implement co-op in my next game.. but it seems tougher.. In this engine we can controll number of teams in a single mission.. But there is a limitation .. :(

• Upvote 1

Mice ideas. There could be a scenario for example where you play one house and when you achieve a task you continue with another allied house to finish the mission (aka you switch with AI controlled allies).

well i coudnt give the other player ai yet.. so if u order a command it'll process we can switch team nd play.. if i give em ai thn i need to give both teams.. nd if tht hapns u cannot control mor thn one unit at a tym.. ai part has nt been accomplishd yt.. but switchin part is done.. :-)

Mice ideas. There could be a scenario for example where you play one house and when you achieve a task you continue with another allied house to finish the mission (aka you switch with AI controlled allies).

well i coudnt give the other player ai yet.. so if u order a command it'll process we can switch team nd play.. if i give em ai thn i need to give both teams.. nd if tht hapns u cannot control mor thn one unit at a tym.. ai part has nt been accomplishd yt.. but switchin part is done.. :-)

I don't understand a thing from that.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand a thing from that.

if i have three teams as allies and if i give the ability to the user to control the teams by switching i can't give any one of them ai..

if i give an ai the team's units cannot be controlled properly by us..

the ai will be present even when we are controlling the team..

this cannot be avoided now..

So as a test i created fremen prologue mission 4 where i can control fremen, atreides and imperial mercenaries..

I cant tell it succeeded until the first game releases..

If Gruntlord could get the co-op version up we can make the above happen tht whn i leave control of one team it falls under allied ai..

And how do u do so that you can control more than one house at a time?

I just realise that the main objective of the server should be to allow those campaign-type .mis and .map files to be played, so that it'll show the buildings and triggers. That way we can have scripted missions. So for example 2-3 players starting with mcv trying to destroy 1 player that has a base. And of course the mentioned coop mode. I'm not really sure if gruntlord can do it, so we'll have to wait for him and see what he says.

And how do u do so that you can control more than one house at a time?

I just realise that the main objective of the server should be to allow those campaign-type .mis and .map files to be played, so that it'll show the buildings and triggers. That way we can have scripted missions. So for example 2-3 players starting with mcv trying to destroy 1 player that has a base. And of course the mentioned coop mode. I'm not really sure if gruntlord can do it, so we'll have to wait for him and see what he says.

well if we can play the same mission through co op, the indexes should be allocated properly to players.. then map and mis will be same for both players.. but the indices assigned will be different and the mission same..

i just copied a code from one uil file to another and i could control three house though not together but need to abandon one to work with the other..

always lost fremen while playing..

well the transmission of data should be same as in lan.. but mis files should be read along with the map files.. once this is possible clone lan and make it into co op..

I really think that this would be awesome, just imagine, say, the ixian campaign played with two people.  :D

So I know Co-op is present in some of the string files in the game, but that is about the extent of what I know about it. I also know it was planned to be a feature but scrapped during development, but I do not know what files are still present in the game or if any even remain besides a few references remaining. It might be possible to get the Co-op working, but there is a 99% chance we will never see that day, as it would likely be a very intensive process.

As for server progress, I haven't had too much of a chance to dig into actually setting up the server, but I have made sure we have the back end setup to accommodate it when we eventually roll it out. I have been busy working on other server related features for Dune 2000, like automatic updates and cloud save storage, which would allow you to continue your progress on any saved games on any computer you have access to with a copy of Dune 2000: Gruntmods Edition and an internet connection. I am also making numerous other changes to the game, both through its built in UI and campagins and the support documentation, as well as a special tool to accommodate the cloud based features I mentioned above.

My priority for the player server would of course be creating a stable multiplayer environment, as the community has been very vocal about it being a primary focus. I intend to hopefully create a large community (relative to this games fanbase) and I hope that community content can eventually be integrated into it. I plan on including things like ladders as well, but the main focus is actually getting the service up and running, with all other concerns regarding multiplayer coming seperate.

I hope I answered your questions, as I have stated in my previous posts I spend a lot of time working during the summer (more time then I spent going to school in the other seasons!) so I will not have a great deal of progress in that period of time. I have however, had a partner start working on the new content. He is the primary developer of most of my software applications, and he also manages the server so he will be a very good contributor to the community. If you guys have any questions, feel free to give me a shout.