2011 Canadian election

In 10 minutes a vote to determine if election will be held. 3:05 EST

live video

I hope for a minority government, but prefer liberals have minority control. See if they can do anything better.

Should be a messy election. Lots of ethics problems with conservatives, which other parties will hammer them on.

Liberals - Not much interesting in them. Leader not seen as much of a leader

NDP - omg jack laytons health... not much difference

Bloc - probably still control Quebec.

Green - I hope they get 1 seat. Big question will be if Elizabeth May is included in televised debates again, I havn't heard. She was always great in them. Nothing to lose so always straight talk and to the point.

Last night on news a good point brought up about how most parties will be needing new leaders soon. Jack Layton (NDP) because of health, Elizabeth May (Green), because of no MP elected, Michael Ignatieff (Liberal) if they do not regain any seats after huge loss last election (real embarrassing), Bloc leader unknown (He's been around forever), Stephen Harper if they lose government status.

I'm sure not many people on forum will be interested.

Government has never fallen due to confidence motion in history, and now it has.

EDIT:

counting votes!

Libs+bloc+NDP vs conservative = ELECTION

Since budget introduced, PM Harper has only answered two questions to media. No plans for questions after his speech after government fell. This will anger the media.

4th federal election in 7 years.

Ignatieff just hammered Harpers speech, aggressive. Media now hammering Ignatieff about whether he will join Coalition. omg so bad. Ignatieff couldn't answer simple yes/no about coalition. Liberal message is now vote liberal only, won't even think about working with other parties.

Every single media question is about coalition. That is all they want answered. Ignatieff would not give simple yes/no answer (probably because it would be used in smear campaign). I'm sad to see this. Was hoping he'd say yes, as that would mean 3 parties would work together to run Canada. But he really screwed up by not answering it at all. One commericial I can see conservatives airing would be something like "Ignatieff can't say yes or no to coalition, how can he run economy?"

We're seriously considering heading north sometime next year, and politics will play a huge role in that decision. Could you post a few links for more information on the style of gov in Canada, and what the current upheaval involves?

No real upheaval. Unfortunately, we'll end up with the same gov't we've had for half a decade.

Conservatives have been gunning for another election for months, what with there secret meetings with donors in little, out of the way towns and ramped up media campaign. The opposition may have voted them out, but no matter what they say, the conservatives wanted this vote to go this way.

@ lordJ if you mean move here and not just vacation visit, then politics aren't nearly as bad as the USA (in fact federal wise much better). There can be more patronage on provincial level in rural areas, at least in Atlantic Canada, but in urban areas, I don't think it is as noticeable. You still get your douchebag politics decisions. example: Summerside PEI spent $1.2 million to try and get a concert here and failed (and no one has resigned yet!) and Halifax spent around same amount for failed concert and someone resigned. All the money spent on failed concerts could have been spent on doctors etc. B-b-but economic spinoff! Screw it, get more doctors and more people will be happy/move there knowing they can get doctor and lower wait times.

Getting family doctor can take a while sometimes (aka doctor you always visit for everyday stuff). But you can always visit ER. But ER wait times suck. Example: if my family doctor is in (he's getting old and will retire <5years), I can go up to office, sit and wait in to see me (usually 10-30min), whereas ER wait times can be 30 minutes to 7 hours.

Politics wise, nothing to worry about, most likely conservative minority. Only other possibility is liberal minority or coalition. Even if they happen not much will change, just some small differences. Wouldn't impact your day to day life.

I agree with Mahdi about conservatives wanting the election. They think they can get more seats. They were already spending millions in ads, and Harper didn't seem to care much about working with others. All the small scandals with conservatives are bad, so maybe Harper just wants another mandate to shut them up (aka voters don't care about small scandals so move onto something else).

I assume you checked out government websites if moving, might have some tips.

Federal: Immigrating to Canada

I assume provincial governments have specific info as well.

Windsor has the best damn Italian food in the Midwest! Could Ontario be considered to be in the Midwest?

Nope, Ontario/Quebec are Central Canada.

Is Michigan considered midwest? I though midwest was middle but west a bit which would be Dakota/wyoming (which if converted to Canada terms would be Saskatchewan/Manitoba, although we don't use that term).

The term Midwest comes from the 1800s and 1810s when Thomas Jefferson and his immediate successors named the Great Lakes/Ohio River Valley Areas, the Midwest. They were in Washington DC on the East Coast, and the Louisiana Purchase had just occurred in 1805. To them, the area east of the Mississippi and north of the Ohio was the Midwest, and the territory west of the Mississippi River was the Far West. These terms have stuck with us to this day, even though they are no longer accurate.

I find Windsor to be like Michigan+. Italian food and bakeries, Red Bull races in the early Summer on the Detroit River, lots of AM & FM music stations, a great place to see the Detroit skyline without getting mugged. How does the rest of Canada view Windsor?

America's view of Canada:

Newfoundland - seals

PEI - The Bridge

Nova Brunswick/New Scotia - where lobsters come from

Quebec - France

Ontario - The Real Canada

Saskatoba - Wheat and Snow

Alberta - Oil & Gretzsky

BC - The Olympics

Yukon / Nunavut / NW Territory / Iqualut - Ice Truckers

P.S. It is always interesting that the Chief Justice of the Canadian Court dresses like Santa Claus.

This is all in jest and fun, BTW.

I'd probably vote for the Wildrose Alliance or ADQ.

I don't see those parties listed here.

We got the pirate party for first time this election though. Sadly, probably won't have many candidates run.

At first the word Coalition was bad for Liberals, and they were attacked for it. But now today and yesterday, Coalition word hit back at Conservatives because in 2004 Harper wanted to form coalition to topple liberal government. So very interesting how a word can come back to haunt you.

I wonder when we'll get party platforms (exact specifics of what they would do if elected). Maybe not for a week or two.

EDIT: I just realized this will be Ignatieff first election as Liberal leader. Havn't seen him in televised debates against opponents.

Canadian leaders debates

May not welcome in leaders' debates: networks

Green party leader not invited to televised debates.

The party got 7% of votes in last election, but no seats.

She should hold a live 'town hall' type meeting, and answer questions from audience or mailed in questions, and at very least should be able to live stream over the internet for free. Maybe immediately after official debate and answer same questions the others got.

I'm not happy about this, even if debates is getting crowded with 5 instead of 4 debaters.

Bloc only have candidates in Quebec (75 seats). All of Canada has 308 seats, which the green party has someone running in each riding.

Bloc only received 10% of popular vote, and Green got 7%.

None of the other parties publicly have a problem with her in debates. But behind closed doors they are definitely happy their leader will have more airtime, and not have to compete against someone who has nothing to lose.

Definitely a political Party that receives 7% of the vote deserves a full seat at the Debates. Can she sue?

I don't think 'sue'. But can bring it up in the courts. They did that in 2008:

Greens threaten to go to court if excluded from TV debates

I guess the greens just need to focus on 1 riding to win so they can be included in future.

Harper coming to my province on Friday for funding announcement. My guess is something for farmers/fishermen.

Out of the principle of the matter:

I shall ask my wife's cousin and her family who live on the east side of Windsor to vote for the Green candidate; as well as my nephew and his girlfriend who live on the west side of Windsor to vote the same. Any group that receives 7% of the vote continually, deserves a seat at the Table.

Wow, the Election is right around the corner! 5 weeks away!

Speaking of your observation of the current Prime Minister running attack ads for months. I am beginning to hate that on this side of the Detroit River, too.

"Congressman Peters, he's on our side..." seen last night on TV.

"Creating Jobs, Lowering Taxes, Protecting Us from Terrorism, Representative McCotter..." in my mail box.

Sick of it.

Science minister won't confirm belief in evolution

"I'm not going to answer that question. I am a Christian, and I don't think anybody asking a question about my religion is appropriate," Gary Goodyear, the federal Minister of State for Science and Technology, said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.

This is the same government that silenced scientists and changed outcomes of research.

So should a requirement to being a science minister be that they believe in evolution? Although technically illegal to discriminate based upon religion in the hiring process for most jobs, I would think this would be an exception. It would be like hiring an agnostic or atheist to be head of "religious affairs" department.

Media still very angry at Harper for not answering questions. Media asks "Why are there a limit to the amount of questions asked?" Harper: "Ask me something else". They are almost yelling at him when he makes appearances.

Greens file court challenge over debate snub

Off to court they go.

The party is requesting a judicial review of CRTC regulations that say the consortium of Canadian broadcasters, including CBC/Radio-Canada, is not required to include all leaders of political parties in debate programs.

Umm, this will not turn out good. To have 19 people in a debate would be a nightmare. Although listening to Communist Party etc would be entertaining. But allowing this would mean lots of new crazy federal parties would start for the next election.

holy shit, Harper wants to kill fair politics in Canada (again).

Harper vows to end party subsidies

Harper, who has long opposed the $2-per-vote subsidy, said political parties enjoy "enormous tax advantages" even without the additional subsidy and taxpayers should not financially support political parties that they don't support with their votes.

So then get rid of tax incentives. Did you know that if you donate to political parties you get more tax credits than if you donated to a charity?

Also Conservative party gets most in private funding, thus would easily kill other parties.

Would turn Canada into a 2 party system like the US.

Some numbers from elections canada for 2009.

Conservatives revenue:

donations/contributions: 17.7 million

government transfers: 10.35 million

membership: 0.767 million

Liberal revenue:

Donations etc: 11.4 million

government money: 7.2 million

membership 0.7 million

Green Party:

government transfers: 1.86 million

contributions: 1.14 million

So see the conservatives want to get rid of party subsidies, as it would eliminate small parties, and cripple the larger parties compared to the conservatives. This would increase the amount of donations parties receive, and the parties would be obliged to do what corporations want since they financed their election.

I doubt Canadian General taking over will have any impact on election. Most wouldn't even know about it. Most wouldn't even know/care about Libya.

Harper getting asked why he now doesn't want a 1on1 debate with Ignatieff.

What's really odd is that a lot of Conservative promises will only take place once budget is balanced which is supposed to take place in 2015.

If Harper doesn't get majority government (or loses), then they can blame other parties for these things not taking place. Although this could turn out to be like when the Liberals promised to get rid of GST after they introduced it in early 1990s. After 12(?) years, it was still there, It took Stephen Harper conservatives to drop it from 7 to 5%, which was a good way to get votes, and shove it in Liberal face (for failing to get rid of it).

I'm all for a balanced budget (the recession started in like 2008?).