Creating a board game based on RTS games.

X3M

Thanks.

The small pictures, only because it takes a bit too much space when posted full.

If you want to see a detailed one, just let me know.

Talking about, too much space needed. Posting here is only the story behind the game by now.

Talked a bit with my cousin about maintaining a website (idea from warhammer). But I know my programming limits; time and skill.

The website would also contain the rules, maps, units and event cards. For others to print and play.

Having a website also costs money. And frankly, even though the playtest was a great success this time. I rather don't take the risk just yet, knowing that it is not completely finished yet.

There are still things to work on and test.

And hopefully, we will have another awesome game played.

Now again with resource managment and base building?

To conclude, the game takes a hell lot of time and preparation (players print and cut their pieces/maps/eventcards)

It is a game that you play as hobby, not to purchase it in a shop. Unless it is something like warhammer. But it isn't.

The learning curve can be easy, but will be longgg.

I still wonder how my cousin could get it down within just 1 hour :).

Summary, not a game that would be purchased by the average person.

• 4 weeks later...

Small update.

1 month has passed. I am still trying to beat the third boss in bloody bloodbourne.

But not much time was spend on fun. Work, work, work. Some one leaves us, thus even more work work work.

Thank god I have spare time next Monday and Tuesday. Where Monday is spend on drinking and Tuesday on sleeping.

All sand regions are more yellowish, and it still looks natural enough. The trick here was to add yellow to the basic dessert texture. Than simply make all the combinations again.

Concrete however, well, how to keep it looking natural is the problem here. I did not really look for a good one yet. And adding grey to the texture that I had does not help. Moreover, I need to keep in mind that the snow covered regions also have some grey effect. So perhaps I should try to get my hands on something that can be called "natural" paths?

My unit box is almost full. :)

During my COD BO2 time, I cut some between the loading of missions. This helped. Otherwise, it is a very, very boring thing to do. But I managed to reach the first 1000. :)

Wasted time on trying to get a card game going. But that game is so !@#$%ing imbalanced. That I scrapped that idea for now. Well, it keeps hammering in my mind. Since it would be so easy to share, in comparison with my board game.

The imbalance was so scary, I immediately started testing some new situations again. Luckily my board game does not have these imbalances.

None the less, I do have to think of creating cards that give information about units. Because on the board we have our little symbols working for us. But the stats can not remain fixed.

My end goal would be having at least 2000 pieces ready (for 3 players that is) And have each piece linked to an unit information card.

Smaller update

Been fooling around with my +1 range rule.

I made adjustments to it. But am also wondering about discarding the rule entirely. And giving +1 range to all units. This would include melee units.

It is a choice between easiness or logic game effects.

The question for those who read this:

A landmine that can fire at a range of 1?

A swordsman that can swing his sword at a range of 1?

Not very logical, right?

What if the region they fire at is so filled, that some enemies can't hide at the border?

• 1 month later...

Funny how I forgot to update here. Just 3 things now.

- "Concrete" like textures are still on hiatus. But the desert seems fine now. :)

I simply have no...imagination of what would be nice and flat and can be in the mountains etc.

A question to you all, should I add deteriorated roads?

- The range issue has been solved. If you have units that are just 1 out of range. You may see it as if they are trying to fit in the targeted territory. Lets say there is room for 3, but you have 7 units. This means that you may select 4 units that get +1 range. Simple huh? A side effect is, you are out of range yet can fight. But as both sides grow smaller, so does the range back to default :). There will be a moment where it is wiser to close in. (Again a new strategy :) )

- I had complaints! Complaints about the primary basic dice roll. There are plenty of cases where you roll 0. However, each dice already has a 33% chance of rolling 0. My friends wanted this to be removed. So I had come with 2 possible solutions.

A, each unit has a 5 health factor instead of 3. Each die roll has 111223 instead of 001122

B, each unit has a 6 health factor instead of 3. Each die roll has 112233 instead of 001122

In both cases, the balance of 1 damage to 3 health is preserved. Yet there is no division by 0 any more. In other words. The game keeps going.

A side effect would be that some units now have an absolute 100% certainty in winning. I am currently calculating like mad to see if there are situations where this 100% certainty was previously less then 90%.

Also the big 6 infantry to 1 tank situation has my attention in this. I need to know the winning chances of the infantry. The closer to 50%, the better.

My friends want solution A. But I still have my doubts.

If any one is good in programming a simulation. Please let me know. I need advice in how to do things.

• 1 year later...

If any one wonders if this still is going.

Answer is yes.

Things have,... become more complicated since the last post.

Life.
Time. etc.
I guess this goes for all.

I could explain it all. But it is a waste of time. Better show, instead of telling.

Just let me know what you think about these 2 cards. And in the meanwhile, I work on many other cards.

Of course I have to mention. These cards are used on pieces that are placed on the board. Like a risk game. But then more complicated. Ahem, see the rest of this topic above in case you forgot :)
Any way, they can be played as interrupt. That means they can save the day. Or ruin it.

I certainly need to work on the humour. But board game designers advice me to remove the flavour text altogether if I fail to get a complete set for all the other cards.

Feign Death.png

Increase Speed.png

Edited by X3M

• 2 weeks later...

Both cards have already been updated the day after. The text got adjusted a bit.

The total is going to be 45 cards. And I have 23 ready.

However, I don't see a reason to upload them to this forum.

Is there one?

• 2 weeks later...

All 45 of them. Here is an overview from word.

Not going to share them in detail. Unless asked.

20170907.thumb.png.3860ba2f139f501c9d2f0b4790d2944a.png

I don't know how well they will print. But here is the plan ahead:

1 - Front and Back should overlap. The first 2 pages in grey scale will prove this.
2a - Then maximum settings on dpi:1200, coloured and high definition. Printing Page 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9.
2b - See 3a. Also a version of 1200 dpi, coloured and low definition. Sometimes this one is better. Same pages.

3a - Checking text, is it readable on any of the cards? If not, or if the picture is not correct. They need rework. I might skip all the next steps towards number 7. And then get back here.
3b - If all is ready, the whole document will be printed in the correct way.
4 - Plastic layer will be added. Accidents can happen. If so, the 2 pages belonging to the victim paper will need to be reprinted.
5 - Nervously cutting them out. This has to be done manually. Accidents happen. If so, the 2 pages belonging to the victim paper will need to be reprinted, again. And they plastic layer needs to be added, again.

6 - Cuddling them.
7 - Show and tell. To the players that supported me all this time. Do they get the jokes? If not, 8 is at hand.

8 - Chances are that due to balance reasons, some cards need their value or rules changed. In that case. Only these cards will be put in a new document for reprinting. It can even be done with just 1 card. The only expense here is the plastic layer. Thus saving up to 9 cards would be best before doing this.

Edited by X3M

• 4 weeks later...