Sisterhood of Dune

Dunenewt

Every time I think they couldn't sink any lower, they prove me wrong.

And that's even when Dunenewt forgot to mention that the Heroes of Dune series is not a series anymore - it's "standalone inquels" (Lisa Simpson: "That's not even a word!") now, no more, and no less.

The creepy thing is, KJA/HLP seem to have become really, really fond of retconning everything, Orwellian style. He who controls the past... ::)

The sad thing is, each successive release pushes me more and more towards the hardcore "he has no understanding or respect for his father's work or perhaps even his father" crowd. I started out as quite a moderate critic, prepared to accept the House prequels despite their... indelicacies. But over time the sheer lack of anything remotely praiseworthy about the books has made the suggestion that they are deliberately awful harder to ignore.

But over time the sheer lack of anything remotely praiseworthy about the books has made the suggestion that they are deliberately awful harder to ignore.

SandChigger will be happy to welcome you in the conspiracy theory camp :) Personally I'm for the more pragmatic explanation: they're milking the cash cow, trying to gain as much profit as possible with as little effort. Therefore, I'm inclined to believe that the books aren't deliberately awful, but rather, the production costs have been deliberately cut down to the minimum; besides, they seem to be working for the "lowest common denominator" target audience, and it tells on the quality of the outcome as well.