Orestes

ErasOmnius

Did Frank ever explain why he chose Orestes as Paul's middle name?

Was he basing it upon the Greek play, with Orestes father being Agamemnon?

Or could it have been the last great Western Roman Emperor general Orestes in the 470s? Signifying the end of a thousand year Empire, like the Corrinos?

Or both?

Or it could have been a cool sounding name.

Oh goody, another in the "Let's legitimize the crap" series of threads.  ::)

Where does it say that Paul's middle name was Orestes? ???

ONLY in McDune crap. The name does not appear once in the original six books.

Did Frank ever explain why he chose Orestes as Paul's middle name?

What PROOF have you that Frank Herbert had anything to do with that choice? Has the HLP mouthpiece, KJA, said or written something to that effect? Or are you just making the "leap of faith" and assuming that because they CLAIM to have notes, that FH actually had something to do with every crappy thing that appears in the new books?

If it were FH's idea, you would think that SOMEWHERE in SIX books and several short stories, he would have mentioned it AT LEAST ONCE.

I think the obvious source for KJA & BH was the son of Agamemnon. If the Atreides are to be descendants of Agamemnon, wouldn't it have to be through Orestes? (There's a mouthy little Greek running around here somewhere, maybe he knows.)

Already addressed by Mr Flibble. The wiki information comes from the McDune books.

Again, ANY evidence that Frank Herbert had anything at all to do with it?

Sorry, forgot, thought I had read it in Dune Messiah. Need to re-read Dune Messiah. Haven't done so in 5 years.

Easy, SandChigger, easy. I am dedicated to a working relationship. Cue the theme music to the "Odd Couple".

They also drove home the point in Winds. (I guess they forgot to re-emphasize this particular point of hackery in Paul of Dune. Go figure!)

(Hey, I'm perfectly willing to be cordial so long as you don't post da shtupid shtuff.)

Not stupid, SC. Forgetful.

Where is my copy of 'Messiah'? Last year I couldn't even remember how many worlds Paul had done in.  ???

'Chigger is a bit trigger happy, you may have noticed. :P

If the wiki is supportive of the prequels then it's probably because Dunenewt is a supporter of the prequels and he's the only one who seems to care about it. Perhaps we should do something about that.

Not stupid, SC. Forgetful.

Either way, I meant the post, not the poster. There is a difference. ;)

By the way, re your question by email: ignoring the slightly obnoxious nature of your asking it at all (ahem), it seems to me like a fine question for the board. I am by no means cognizant of every topic and thread that has ever been posted here, but then, that's why we have the search feature! ;)

I'm sure if it turns out to be a duplicate, some more senior member will be sure to point it out and direct us to the existing thread!

(Speaking of the little slippery-when-wet critter, where has 'Newt gotten to lately?)

By the way, re your question by email: ignoring the slightly obnoxious nature of your asking it at all (ahem), it seems to me like a fine question for the board. I am by no means cognizant of every topic and thread that has ever been posted here, but then, that's why we have the search feature! ;)

I'm sure if it turns out to be a duplicate, some more senior member will be sure to point it out and direct us to the existing thread!

So... what's the question about?

Either way, I meant the post, not the poster. There is a difference. ;)

(Speaking of the little slippery-when-wet critter, where has 'Newt gotten to lately?)

Are you upset that I sent you an e-mail? C'mon, upset?

Are you upset that I sent you an e-mail? C'mon, upset?

NOT at all! I just didn't see the point of an email when a PM would have done just fine. :)

(To be honest, the style and phrasing of your message was rather hawt. I was almost tumescent there for a second or two!)