Dune 2000 Soundtrack

D2k Sardaukar

The quality of these files is definitely better than those ingame, yes.

the .fk files are actually .swf Flash files. There are tools (like SWF Scanner) to get the MP3 file out of them. I think I already got all the Dune 2000 ones. Not sure.

Still, not as good as the soundrack CD :P

The quality of these files is definitely better than those ingame, yes.

the .fk files are actually .swf Flash files. There are tools (like SWF Scanner) to get the MP3 file out of them. I think I already got all the Dune 2000 ones. Not sure.

Still, not as good as the soundrack CD :P

There is no soundtrack, right? I can't find it...

I will see if that SWF scanner works.  :)

Theoretically (according to Hyper) it's perfectly possible to make hi-quality stereo AUD files, but no one ever made an AUD converter that can do that, and I don't know if the game would support it without additional hacks either. But the format itself supports it.

Theoretically (according to Hyper) it's perfectly possible to make hi-quality stereo AUD files, but no one ever made an AUD converter that can do that, and I don't know if the game would support it without additional hacks either. But the format itself supports it.

I thought AUD files were highly compressed?

There are two types of .AUD file, one for the SFX, one for the music. These systems are different. The SFX .AUD files are fairly low quality and similar to wav files I believe. I however don't know about the music .AUD files, but would assume they'd be superior at quality

mvi, I'm not talking about any existing AUDs. The music is pretty crappy quality too; that's the whole point of this thread. I'm just talking of what the AUD format itself is theoretically capable of. No such hi-quality stereo auds exist in any of the games.

Are you talking about the files inside sound.rs (or whatever that file is called), or about the .AUD files with unit speech that just lie in the SFX folder?

Well the ones in sounds.rs actually are wav files

Well, you said AUD files for SFX, and all SFX is inside sounds.rs (and is in WAV format, as far as I can tell). The AUD files are used for unit speech, but I never noticed them to be any different.

It is WAV yeah, they've got RIFF headers, I made an extractor a while back which generated the WAV files from the sounds.rs, although I never released that extractor since I thought no one would want it.

Sorry, I thought the AUD files were more SFX not just unit speech

It is WAV yeah, they've got RIFF headers, I made an extractor a while back which generated the WAV files from the sounds.rs, although I never released that extractor since I thought no one would want it.

I remember Stefan asked me to extract all the sounds from Dune2000 for his project a while ago. I had to use Dragon UnPacker to do the job with sounds.rs, and as some of the files were incorrectly extracted, I had to fix their headers manually with a hex-editor.

So if you still got your extractor, I think it would be nice if you made it public :)

Sorry, I thought the AUD files were more SFX not just unit speech

Unit speech and vocal announcements, to be precise.

Here you can download the WAV2AUD and AUD2WAV converter:

http://rapidshare.com/files/338487412/audwav.zip.html

Here - AUD plugin for WinAmp:

http://rapidshare.com/files/338488318/audplay.zip.html

Here - the program for playback AUD files:

http://rapidshare.com/files/338489202/auplay10_32.zip.html

I believe, all music in AUD format in old Westwood games has crappy sound only because of 8-bit compression. If it had 16 bits it would have CD quality (or almost CD quality in case of 22 KHz sample rate).

Here you can download the WAV2AUD and AUD2WAV converter:

http://rapidshare.com/files/338487412/audwav.zip.html

Here - AUD plugin for WinAmp:

http://rapidshare.com/files/338488318/audplay.zip.html

Here - the program for playback AUD files:

http://rapidshare.com/files/338489202/auplay10_32.zip.html

I believe, all music in AUD format in old Westwood games has crappy sound only because of 8-bit compression. If it had 16 bits it would have CD quality (or almost CD quality in case of 22 KHz sample rate).

care to test it? if so thats good news.

Here you go, just brought the RS extractor up to release quality. This tool could easily be made to load in new waves too.

Some release notes:

Error handling should be working fully on both loading and saving files, if it throws any fatal exceptions (those are errors which force the entire program to close) please let me know.

Only extraction is currently supported. No editing.

How to use:

Click the open button, then navigate to find your SOUNDS.RS file in the d2krootDataGAMESFX folder and open it.

The program will now process this file and display the number of sounds loaded. For an unmodded Dune 2000 installation this will be 57.

Now click the extract button, pick a directory to extract to and click ok. The files will now have all extracted. Done :)

Download:

Two download options:

1. Download attached to this post (you must be logged in to see to the link)

2. Download from my site here

RSExtractor.zip