Dune Wiki discussion thread

Dunenewt

As no-one really checks the thread in the News forum, I thought I'd create a thread in this board.  What do you think I could do to make the Wiki look more appealing?  I was thinking we could do with a logo; maybe the logo thumper designed, which says Fed2k on it, and underneath could be written:  Dune Wiki.  This would look brilliant if someone could do it in the so called 'Orthodox Herbertarian' font, which was the font used on the front of the Dune books.

Any other ideas for the Wiki?

The only thing that will make the Wiki appeal to people, in my opinion, is its content. It needs well-written, detailed articles with lots of interesting information. Pictures are optional, but also good, especially if they show something rarely seen before.

In addition to that, the Wiki needs a structured category system that will make the search for specific information much easier (Books Series, Screen Adaptations, Games, Characters, Planets, Technology are possible examples).

Helena Richese? Yech. <b>NSP.</b>

No Such Person.

(That is one of the stupider aspects of the new books: planets/Houses with the same name. Are there ANY examples of that in the originals? It's like they were too lazy to come up with separate names.  ::) )

Anyway, I agree with MrFlibble: content over form/flash.

on each article I'm splitting up the information as to which book it comes from, so people can distinguish as to whether its classic Dune or new Dune.

That's definitely the right thing to do :)

I think you can also add a "List of Dune II remakes" page and link it to the main Dune II page. I've already compiled a more or less comprehensive list, you can either keep the subdivision into complete/WIP/abandoned projects if you wish, or just make one big alphabetical list.

• 2 months later...

Just logged in and had a look:

File uploads are disabled.

Return to Main Page.

Retrieved from "http://wiki.dune2k.com/Special:Upload"

Answers that question. :(

Installed software

Product Version

MediaWiki 1.15.1

PHP 5.2.6 (cgi-fcgi)

MySQL 5.0.67-log

I'll have a look and see what versions I'm using on my sites. Probably the fix is the same: the config file will have to be edited and re-uploaded. Who does that around here again?