mininova is dead !!!

spicy

Others?

Other websites have already replaced mininova. Just like when suprnova went down mininova took it's place.

I admit I didn't know mini shutdown was going to occur.

Same thing happens with every other shutdown. So, all it means is that people will flock to other websites. Expect Alexa rankings of these websites to change dramatically over next month.

The industry doesn't want to give consumers what they want, because they want to control everything (and maximize profits).

Why not:

Create torrent tracker that is private, you have to sign up, and in order to use it you have to pay monthly fees of say $x dollars for unlimited music, $x dollars for unlimited movies, $x for unlimited tv shows. Replace "unlimited" with "gb" if you want, or even a cost per product ($1 tv episode, or $5 album, or $10 new release movie same as itunes). This way they have regular stream of income, and no distribution (physical/bandwidth) costs since it's just the bandwidth of users. People could get exactly what they want, in the format they want (dvd format, or blu ray, or ipod. 160kbps VBR or FLAC etc), and happily pay money to use it. No more need for crappy itunes software, and since it is as easy to acquire as pirated stuff, and using same distribution/software/speed/quality etc, the only difference is that it is legal. The current private trackers know who download what, and cheaters get banned. How can it not be adapted to suit legal purchases? They track what you download and charge your credit card etc appropriately (same as however they charge you for using itunes/amazon). Make sure there is no DRM. This way, the only advantage 'pirates' have is price, instead of currently: price, quality, fast/efficient content delivery, no DRM, early releases and multinational content/worldwide release time. People who seed(upload) more, could get "credits" to use for free content, and those who just download and don't upload would pay same amount regardless.

I guess the answer is that it would not be as profitable as current ways. tv shows would definitely not work as networks make $$$ selling tv shows to each individual country own broadcaster etc. The tv industry is propped solely by advertisements, so I doubt they can make as much as the ads do. It should be very easy to do with movies and music though, as most revenue come from theatre/dvd sales (and I assume some merchandising that can still be done), music is made mostly through cd/digital sales, and some licensing stuff.

Movie theatres would go mostly out of business, except for those who wish to see in huge screen with nice sound, but with many homes now getting home theatres systems, no need for theatres.

Music industry is the only one attempting decent digital sales, but it is 10 years behind schedule, and illegal quality/variety is still better.

So basically the industry is attempting to keep old model, while everyone else (if you believe their statistics that everyone pirates), is already moving on, and the industry is not directly making money from them.

I go to itunes Canada, and it's only available for mac/windows. Windows version is garbage. "High definition" is apparently not HD(bluray). I'm not sure what their DRM is, or if it has to be linked to itunes (can I watch in non quicktime media player? How about convert to my non apple video mp3 player? Transfer to a hard drive backup? burn to dvd backup?).

Amazon music store. Not available in Canada (would bypass crappy itunes software for music).

How about hulu watching tv episodes online for free as long as I see a couple commercials? Not available in Canada.

Other countries have it worse off than Canada does for consuming American media goods. Does itunes tv/movie/music work in every EU country?

This kind of leaves lots of users limited in ways to consume digital content over the internet. And then the media companies complain that people are finding other ways to consume their product.

This shit should have been fixed a decade ago, and yet here we are. They've almost got music working fine, but tv/movies will be impossible to do. If people can legally download/purchase tv shows, then people will cancel cable/satellite. The same companies that run cable/satellite are the ones creating the content for tv, and thus makes their advertising(commercials) revenue worthless (and no monthly fees collected for cable bills).

Others?

Monova has already replaced mininova.

time for micronova then ..

i think  the industry is making enough money from selling hardware . with people buying pc parts

more than they buy food or clothes ..

they dont mind  losing a software here or there . lots of people still buy s/w anyway ..

but for ex, 2 years ago all the encrypted satellite channels made a technology leap and managed

to close down  all the encrypted channels networks that used to be opened via patching receivers .

and no one can open any encrypted channels now , were we used to have 100s of them on hot bird alone .

when i saw mininova closing down i was thinking if the same thing that happened with encrypted

channels may happen with p2p  ,   or it maybe not a stand alone case but a movement

to close down all p2p   s/w  charring  on the internet ..

Hmmm.... I went to monova and got a McAfee warning that it tried to make changes to thier test pc and exploited browser security vulnerability.

Well that sucks. Although public trackers suck in general. Guess I never got that warning since I'm in linux.

mcafee warning mahdi got

Anyways, point stands that someone will replace it. Give it a week or two and people won't even remember mininova.