What hardware are you going to buy in 2009?

So when will USB 3 be in computers? I heard by end of year.

So it would be nice to wait until then, and maybe get an intel core i7 that uses DDR3 ram. So 3 tech upgrades at once! also win 7 should be out as well... (don't want vista) :D

Good year for tech. And with all these improvements it means the old stuff will be dirt cheap! core2duo/ddr2 should be very cheap. Maybe a high end core2duo with high end ddr2 ram for cheap?

I'll also be looking for USB stick. Wouldn't mind a decent ocz rally2. My current sticks are slow cheap ones.

I don't need much hard drive space so a 16-32gb usb stick will be easier to use than a 500gb HD.

I already ordered quite a lot so far this year:

- WD Passport 2,5" HDD 500GB

- Samsung F1 HDDs 1000GB(2x)

- External HDD Case for the 2 1000GB HDDs

- PS3 Console

- PS3 Remote Control

- PS3 2nd Controller

- PS3 Controller Charging Station

*update*

- Shuttle XPC SG33G5 Glamor Series

- 4GB DDR2-800 RAM

- Keysonic Keyboard

- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

(- not really hardware: a few PS3 Games from Asia and Canada, hopefully they arrive soon)

more coming soon...

• 3 weeks later...

I spent more money on hardware (and other stuff like furniture) than I did in all 12 months of 2008. I also got my old Linksys router up and running again with DD-WRT so I can use WLAN with my PS3.

I also got those things:

- 16 GB Mtron Solid State Disk

- Samsung SCX 4500 printer/scaneer

- Dell 2709W LCD (27" obviously, will replace my Dell 2407WFP)

- Couple of nice things like different fans, USB-cables, 2,5" case for the SSD...

Here are some pics so this thread gets some lifeĀ  ::)

(I will make some of my onw stuff once everything is set up properly - I'm waiting for an electrician who will put another power outlet into the wall on friday)

Dell 2709W

monitor_2709wfp_overview1.jpg

Samsung SCX 4500W

41v4cY0JvZL._SL500_.jpg

Shuttle SG33G5 Glamor Series

SG33G5.jpg

Yes I notice some speed difference, especially while booting the OS or when launching applications like photophop. It's absolutely silent (but the psu-fans of the shuttle are not, that's why I plan on changing them today or tomorrow) and I'm using it for the OS only (that's why I only got 16GB which already has been quite expensive. My data is stored on a portable 2,5" disc and I also have an external case conncted to it with my new 2x1TB drives - but I rarely turn those on.

DD-WRT is great - although I can only compare it to the default Linksys firmware and OpenWRT. There are many configuration options and I think the router is much faster now using WLAN. The documentation (which version and why, how to flash it onto your router, how to upgrad if you haven't had the default firmware on...) is quite good and I can only recommend it if your router is on the list of the supported devicesĀ  :)

@ Thumper: it's a laser printer. I don't know the exact price per paper, because I don't print very much. The price was okay for me so I did care more about stuff like the copy and scanning function, design and the small size, because I don't have that much space now.

@ Andrew: there is no good reason for me to switch to the cpus and ddr3. as far as I know there isn't even a shuttle barebone yet which supports ddr3 and the new cpus. I don't need a superfast machine and the Intel E8400 + 4GB memory as well as this "older" shuttle were really cheap. I could have even kept my old Intel E6600 but I decided to sell my old gaming pc in one piece (brings more money) - but it would have been enough for what I need. It's another reason why I stopped playing games on the pc: I just don't want to upgrade my pc all the time (especially the far too expensive videocard-changes annoy me) and waste a lot of electricity everytime I turn on my pc (and I'm only playing about 5-10% of the time I use it). For everything else I do at the computer I don't need very much power. So this setup is just perfect and I could still play older games with the onboard videochip I guess... anyway for gaming I got my PS3 now in the living room and I prefer gaming with a friend or even alone on the couch over gaming at the desk a lotĀ  ;D

So I guess I'll throw out the SSD again soon. I'm having trouble with it at every boot up and I can't fix this. I asked for help but I don't know... maybe it just doesn't get along with the board/chipset or whatever. I have an up to date bios and also the SSD firmware is up to date. It's really a pity because I have no problems at all in windows - it's just the booting (which is incredibly fast when it does work work without problems). I don't really want to switch back to a HDD. I'll get a 2,5" HDD then (but with 7.200 rpm) which fits into my silencer bay but I can only hope it will really be silent (no pronlem with a SSD of course) but besides the noise level the HDD will never be that fast. Really, I haven't seen photoshop open and be ready that fast, it's amazing. But the problems are too much and I tried everything I could...

Anyway, I also got a special PSU for my Shuttle after I failed to mod the old one with silent fans. It's damn big (external part) but the inside is passive now. The Shuttle is absolutely silent now after I also switched the default CPU Cooler. Very nice... good power, little space, no noises - I really like it. Maybe I'll get a laptop soon and also some 2.1 set for when I'm not alone (though I usually hang out in the living room with friends) or just to listen to some music without headphones. I think I can post some pictures soon, because I placed everything where it belongs now after the electrician has been around at friday and I got another power outlet installed into the wall left of my desk.

• 2 weeks later...

A new toy for work. It's in use for a couple of minor virtual machines.

I am expecting another one in a month or so.

The disks and SAS RAID controller are non factory default in able to handle the RAID configuration I desire.

(change the last digit for more pictures if desired)

HP%20DL380%20G5%208.JPG

• 1 month later...

I ordered a new laptop yesterday. And I'm not quite sure but maybe I'll sell my Shuttle again when I have the laptop. I like it, but I don't really need two systems and the laptop should be enough (I can't play on the Shuttle either because I didn't put a gaming videocard in) and I can plug the laptop to my display via HDMI and use two displays then. I'm trying to change the HDD of the laptop though. It comes with 250GB and if it's not that complicated I will put in a 500GB HDD.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

2x2x2x2 i figure this way i won't need to upgrade for a long while. Is a 3gb stick available yet? Would be awesome having 12 ;)

4 gb sticks are out but they cost hundreds per stick.

i bought a bfg tech 9600 gt with factory overclock, cant wait to install it, hope my crappy psu can handle it as i cant afford a new one.