Hurricane Gustav

Andrew

Man alot of people here in Florida that have never been through one actually use it as a reason to throw a party.So...so many stupid frickin people.

"Hey man,I'll catch ya later at the hurricane party dude"."Don't forget the weed".   :P :P

I feel for ya Jeff cause your gonna get a smackdown man.Stay safe.

Finally got power back, dunno how people can live without it. Just starting to see some pictures and man it totally destroyed Galveston. Feel back for those folks.  Had a few trees go down here but thankfully didn't fall on anything.  The eye went just to the west of us and had weakened to a category one when it got here but those 80 mph gusts were no slouch.

80 mph gusts were no slouch.

Yea that's what alot of people don't understand 80 may not seem high but when it is 80 mph for 18 or 20 hours straight it's scary shit. I still remember riding out charley back in 05. I had green oranges from orange trees go completely through my walls like cannons. Glad you made it through ok man.

Man alot of people here in Florida that have never been through one actually use it as a reason to throw a party.So...so many stupid frickin people.

"Hey man,I'll catch ya later at the hurricane party dude"."Don't forget the weed".   :P :P

I prefer "Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die."

It may seem brainless but I imagine that for some it's a profoundly cynical decision to have a good time.

I prefer "Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die."

It may seem brainless but I imagine that for some it's a profoundly cynical decision to have a good time.

Yea, and the news the next day describe how 10 or 12 teens die after trying to ride out a hurricane on the beach.And it's usually the ones that have never been through one.

Just the opposite. By reacting to disaster with (deliberate, presumably considered) carelessness may show a distinct desire neither to live nor learn. Living, the big picture, almost inevitably involves some compromise, cynicism, often accompanied by ennui. What better rebellion against a long, boring life ahead than acceptance of death? Likewise learning, that process of aquiring infomation and wisdom, tempering the enthusiasm of youth with consideration and forethought.

By accepting a glorious (ideally, but dramatic in any case) end rather than a drawn out, ignoble withering seems to me to demonstrate decidedly different priorities. Spectacle over wisdom, hedonism over second-guessing.

Alternatively, one may feel most alive when that life is imperiled, perhaps by a giant storm.

Or so I theorise. It's also possible, as in my first comment, that nihilism plays a large part. If nothing is worth anything, then why not toy with life, death, and danger? It all ends the same way anyway.

Well, most of you guys didn't have to deal with the effects or after effects of the storm. I did, I was called up on emergency state side activation orders for flooding in Gary IN as a direct result of the storm. The storm caused 8 deaths in the county.

sandbagging.jpg

That's me with the sand bag on my shoulder and the rest of my unit, the 738th med.