Back from Peter Berg's New Movie Hancock

Mahdi

Edit:

Another case of a marketing campaign that in no way represents the actual movie. Those of you expecting yet another Will Smith Action comedy ala Men in Black will be sorely disappointed. Not that that's a bad thing.

This is actually quite the dramatic film, with very few action scenes. The best movie I can think to compare it to is Highlander as they both explore the same themes: The impact of a immortal life spent separate from the rest of humanity, but always yearning to connect to others.

It has its problems, most noticably the horrible (and totally unneccesary) use of the shaky-cam by Peter Berg. There are also some scripting and plotting issues, but I still recommend it. It's better than Indy 4 anyway.

Peter Berg's next film is another adaptation of my favourite book, Dune. He's shown he can handle depth of character, now lets hope he can learn to use a steady cam.

I still think they should have hired David Fincher.

So, I'm expecting a decent or acceptable, but not great, adaptation from him.

One more thing:  Massawyrm from Aint It Cool News loves this film and loves Peter Berg.  Why do I mention this?  Well, he has a series of sig pics which share a common theme.  So, there's that, for those (very few, if any) of you who take stock in what Ain't it Cool says.

Original Message:

Hey Ya'll,

I'm going to a promo of Hancock (directed by Peter "Dune 2010") Berg tomorrow night.  I'll let you all know how shitty/mediocre/fantastic his directing was, although it may be via another FED2k member as I'm not sure when I'll have time to visit the site next.

(Read a synopsis when they started noising about that Berg would direct Dune. Sounded like something I would definitely want to miss. Unless desperate for something to watch and it was on one of my movie channels. Will be interested to hear what you think.)

I thought 'I am Legend' was gonna be a meeehhh Smith movie but it ended up being good imo. From the looks of it Hancock might be another meeehhhh that ends up being better than expected. After all it is the Fresh Prince.