Dune Team

Duneguy

Hey i am the one with all the crazy ideas, but i am thinking of constructing a team of programmers and atrists that are going to make a deplica of Dune. it would be home to new graphics. original soundtracks, new art. it would be Awesome. i am going to be contacting Cyro to see what i can get from then costing as little as possible. if you think this would be a semi-decent idea jus tell em and i will contacy Cyro. or virgin games or whoever i have to to lear more about teh programmign of the orginal dune and teh access to all the files inside of their compressed files.. but i would liek to see what you guys think before i waste my time. ???

I did some research and i found that Virgin games was purchased by Titus. I Contacted titus today and i am eagerly waiting for a reply. i am presently open for any help from anyone who either had ideas on how the game shall be(liek the original or more 3d like) if there are any programmers here in teh boards that are interested i should be getting some programming stats on the files from dune sometiem in the future. well i am about to go to some research and make some calls...

i will be makign further updates day by day if there is anything new.

• 2 weeks later...
i will contacy Cyro. or virgin games or whoever i have to to lear more about teh programmign of the orginal dune and teh access to all the files inside of their compressed files.. but i would liek to see what you guys think before i waste my time. ???

Don't mean it as a downside but think you have a verry, verry small change of getting any of the source codes.

Umm i just meant to ask hwo they compressed it and such.. if i knew that i would be able to get whatever i needed. all i really  need is fro them to tell me it is okay to do whatever i want. then i will call up my uncle.

You mean you want to decompile / reverse engeneer them ? [ or it, not that many files in Dune I ]

That's illegal, don't think they'll grant you permission to do that to.

note, I've edited the last part out due to this rule on the site.

"Discussion on pirating software is not allowed."

funny in a way, I'm correcting my own posts :)

Not if you have the permission of the author of the game.

And then you are allowd to make aditional things and edit some files without crossing the limitations of "pirating the software". Like making your own map and place it besides the others in the apr. directory. Or edit some lines in a TXT file that make your unit stronger or so.

You just can't toutch the compressed files.

Well, if you get the code (and sorry, but no I don't think you will) from Dune I. And it isn't too hard. I mean I most defenitly have to adapt as a Java-Developer (Dune I ISN'T in Java ;) ). I would sure like to help! But I think if you want it, they will try to sell it. On the other hand, I saw the official source of Wolfenstein 3d somewhere a time ago. And that was released by ID. So maybe you have a change.

There are some software companies that give away a source code of a popular game every year [ or ones in a while ]. So fans can see how it was made, learn from it and make there own versions and ad-on's

Nope, the games have allready brought in millions. And this way they keep them "alive" and help some others. [ so they can learn from it, or edit them the way they want ]

Not all game developers are those scary-money-seeking-basterds. :)

• 1 year later...