Dune (SEGA) ?

pascal89

I was just lookin round the net, and apparently theres dune for sega CD. it based around the first dune by cryo. The description of it sounds alot like dune by cryo, but i wonder if its the same, if anyone could shed some light on it, it would be appreciated.

thnx in advance.

I've heard that Sega CD's got some extras like FMVs including cutscenes from Lynch's movie and stuff, but I don't have it myself. Or maybe I'm talking about the PC CD version?

If I remember well, both the Sega CD and the PC CD versions feature those extras (Lynch's movie footages, digitalized speeches and 3D-like flights over the desert).

Rymoah

The CD version doesn't really add all that much to the experience, in my opinion.  The voice acting isn't of the greatest quality, and the flying animation is just this looped video.  Honestly, I preferred actually seeing the landscape turn when I changed course.

(As a sidenote, does anybody know how they incorporate the "spot the sietch from the sky" bits into the flying animation?)

• 5 weeks later...
And I really liked the voice acting, and the looped video.

Seriously?  I found the voice acting extremely stiff.  And while the looped video was nice, it became quite repetitive on those longer flights.

SAND, we just pointed out the differences:  Voices, and FMV cutscenes, some taken from Lynch's Dune.

"I found the voice acting extremely stiff"

Partly because a lot of it gets reused to save on space (not all that necessary, given it's a CD, but maybe done like that in order to fit it into the RAM). But to be honest, there's a difference between stiff voice acting in the context of a computer game where you're suspending a lot of disbelief to begin with and stiff voice acting in, say, a film or miniseries. The Dune II voice acting, mind, now that was stiff!

The looped video has to be better than the Dune equivalent of the "Flying Windows" Screensaver that the floppy version has, and in practice, no more repetitive, though you might contest that the lumps on the desert in the floppy version are randomly generated. While yes, it was repetitive, do remember you can skip the journeys on every flight except when you're looking for sietches.

The Dune II voice acting, mind, now that was stiff!

Stiff, but cool none the less ;)

BTW, I think it's Frank Klepacki who did the Harkonnen Mentat voice - at least, he did it in Dune 2000.

EDIT: Yep, he did the Hark voice in Dune II too. Go Frank! ;D

Also, I've read somewhere that he was much influenced by Stephane Picq and Philip Ulrich's "Spice Opera" soundtrack when he was scoring Dune II.

• 3 months later...

"I found the voice acting extremely stiff"

Partly because a lot of it gets reused to save on space (not all that necessary, given it's a CD, but maybe done like that in order to fit it into the RAM).

Dune for Segacd streams all sound from the disc, the music is played from ram (nice ym2612 synth, almost identical to the OPL2 of the pc version).

They probably could've made some more sounds, the game was around 500mb or so.

But, iirc all the voices were taken from the pccdrom version without adding extras.

Also, the game was in multiple languages, including voices too I recall (the text you could set to even more languages, even Fremen).

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...