Running Dune2

duncan_idaho

This was adressed by Duke earlier, that is, trying to get Dune2 to workin in Win 98. For me, it tells me that there is "insuffient memory" to run the program. I can't seem to find the autoexec.bat config.sys files like I could on my old dos based machine. If someone could tell me where they are and how to modify them so Dune2 works, that would be nice...

and since Microsoft was nice enough not to install a mouse driver in DOS, help with that would be appreciated too.

Sorry i have the same problem, and i didnt know the answer also.

i have windows 95 now.

the mousedriver should be simple. Get your mouse disk (you got one from the guy that build them) and go to dos. select a: . select a:dir and if everything is ok you should see install or setup. Just type install or if that doesnt work setup and the rest should go automatic.

greetings

I had this problem and, with a lot of help, I was still unable to sort it. Then I visited http://www.valdez.co.uk/dune2/others.htm and downloaded the entire Dune2 game. I can't, really, see any difference between it and my original, but the damned thing works and works well and it's free...

There are a few useful things at this site, but I found that some of the links displayed there didn't, actually, exists.

Hope this helps.

Bob Katz

katzy@lineone.net

By the way, autoexec and config are in the root of your C: directory (AT least, mine are! In case it helps, here's a copy of my autoexec...

C:PROGRA~1UTILIT~1MCAFEE~1BOOTSCAN.EXE C:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6

SET SBPCI=C:SBPCI

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:PROGRA~1UTILIT~1MCAFEE~1

mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:WINDOWSCOMMANDega.cpi)

mode con codepage select=850

keyb uk,,C:WINDOWSCOMMANDkeyboard.sys

and here's a copy of my config...

device=C:WINDOWSCOMMANDdisplay.sys con=(ega,,1)

Country=044,850,C:WINDOWSCOMMAND©ountry.sys

I include them because it works perfectly on my system with the files like this. Any use?

Although some people might find this impossible, I've been able to get 734K of conventional memory free, within Win98!!! Now that took months of figuring out and tuning my config.sys and autoexec.bat files. the thing is with giving othere peoples auto and conf files is that there machine specs will be different, so while they're sound card uses up 20K of conv mem, some (like mine) doesn't use up any! I have a Creative SB128 if you're wondering.

In Win 98 I can play pretty much every DOS game around, except those which run too quick,even with slow down programes like Moslo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found that I often get the "Out of memory" thing after I'd finished certain levels. It would appear that the "between scenario" scenes, showing meetings with the emperor, are very memory intensive, for some reason. Make sure that you save your current game, just before you destroy the opposition's last structure. Then, boot windows in "Safe" mode, to get through the scene. When you begin the next scenario, save the game, again, and you should be alright to start at anytime in normal windows mode. Hope this helps...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tryggve

Dune 2 uses emm, make sure emm386 says something in the lines of emm386 blah blah 4096. And 734k conventional memory is possible if you kill VGA support and some stuff I think, its possible in OS/2. Not sure, ages ago. I don't look at these boards, just browsed by, send questions to zokum@hotmail.com