New unofficial book released

Dunenewt

I bought a new Dune book yesterday called Science of Dune.  Its an unofficial one, and only came out this year.  It is really interesting, and examines the science behind such things as the Sandworms, Tleilaxu artificial eyes, and Stillstuits amongst other things.  Definitely worth a read.

Amazon link.

• 5 weeks later...

The sandworm life- and spice cycles are an area of particular interest to me, so I was fairly disappointed with the sandworm biology article and blogged about it. The author (Sibylle Hechtel) eventually caught wind of it and showed up to comment. She's been posting some additional information on her own blog.

(She seems to be a class act. For me it was refreshing to be able interact (disagree) with an author

Someone probably put her onto my blog, or she was googling for references to her article in the book. She seems quite nice, but fairly busy. I don't know if she gets into the whole BBS thang. ;)

I really need to go through and read all the articles. Lack of motivation, though, since it wasn't really what I was hoping for.

(We really need a version for the HARDCORE DUNEFAN! :D )

I missed that last (guest) post, by Bruno, actually; will have to give it a read.

I'm not sure how important plate tectonics really is, though, seeing how the sandtrout/sandworms didn't evolve on Arrakis. Hechtel's suggestion that the sandtrout live off sulfur-metabolising bacteria or some such that live in sulfur vents bringing up material from within the planet (geological activity related to plate tectonics, of course) isn't supported by anything at all in the books. (There is a mention of sulfur in the biochemistry of the worms, of course.)

Huh? No, it isn't.

One more time:

Title: <i>The Science of Dune: An <b>Unauthorized</b> Exploration into the Real Science Behind Frank Herbert's Fictional Universe</i>

From the top of page iv:

THIS PUBLICATION HAS NOT BEEN PREPARED, APPROVED, OR LICENSED BY ANY ENTITY THAT CREATED OR PRODUCED THE BESTSELLING DUNE SERIES.

I'm no expert on copyright law, but all but one of the articles are presented as (semi-?)academic analyses of various aspects of the books. (The one on Tleilaxu eyes is a bit "fanficky" in the way of <i>The Dune Encyclopedia</i>.) They don't quote extensively, so everything is probably covered by Fair Use.

The book targets a general readership and is part of a "Science of Pop Culture" series. A fair number of the authors are Ph.Ds ... but you have to wonder about their Dune expertise. (Hechtel revealed that she hasn't read <i>Heretics</i> and <i>Chapter House</i>, which is unfortunate because there's more information on the worms in those books. And the editor and author of several of the articles, Kevin R. Grazier, is a bit schizoid in his approach to the new "Dune" books. At one point he refers to them as "non-canonical" but in his article on space travel in the Duniverse he quotes Norma Cenva frequently. ::) )

If you're just a casual Dune fan and want a casual read on some of the scientific aspects, it's not a bad book. It leaves me wanting more, though.

(Considering the way the HLP shut down the Spanish fan film, it's odd that they haven't gone after the publishers of this book. What this probably means is that they have no short-term plans to release anything similar of their own. Which makes sense, with Kevin and Brian revving up for their <i>Gyros of Dung</i> and <i>Smellhole</i> series. Brian's 61 this year and will be 67 when they release <i>Letotard of Dung</i>. They've said they're planning a "Great Schools" trilogy to follow the Legends books in the chronology, so they'll have to hurry on those if they're to maintain the story that Brian is actually doing some of the writing. That doesn't leave any time that I can see for them to do a serious Concordance or new Encyclopedia. The REAL post-Frank work

Yeah, but that just means they haven't conned TOR into a contract yet. Logical...eew, that's an iffy word to use, in this context. :D

But to be completely honest, if (as it turns out) they lack the sense to stop, I would that they had focused on that era first rather than bake these flat, tasteless pitas to wrap around FH's initial books and make <i>Gyros of Dune</i>. ::)

If everything goes according to their currently announced schedule (and they don't convert <i>Gyros</i> into a pentalogy with <i>Duncans of Dune: A Thousand Lives And A Life</i> or worse?!), <i>Letotard</i> will come out in 2014. If Brian can't remember it's "Dune 7" not "Dune 2" in interviews now, he's going to be practically drooling on himself by then. I just hope to the Dread God Dur that the HLP have not been stupid enough to sign something giving Kevin permanent rights to hike as long as he pleases, even if something has happened to Brian. He's probably part cyborg and won't ever die. :O

Anyway, I was just talking to my friend and partner in crime Mr Teg earlier and we decided that we are quite happy with the situation. They'll be giving us something to do and keep busy with for the next seven years at least. Who could ask for more? ;D

No, they haven't got a contract with TOR about the next books yet, but I'm sure they will, especially after the movie is released.

Well, it is possible the Heroes of Dune books would be released one every year, in which case Leto Of Dune will be released in 2011.

Um...I thought Kevin's blahg post (back one, now) was about the contract for the next three books of the tetralogy (Jessica, Irulan and Leto) having been signed. (Pile of Dune was signed for along with Grunters and Sadworms, IIRC.)

Also, previously Kevin wrote that they would be doing a new Dune book every other year from now on, with one Smellhole book each in the odd years off.

All I know is what he blahgs...so consider the source if the story seems confused. GIGO, you know?

Um...I thought Kevin's blahg post (back one, now) was about the contract for the next three books of the tetralogy (Jessica, Irulan and Leto) having been signed. (Pile of Dune was signed for along with Grunters and Sadworms, IIRC.)

Oh, sorry I meant the "Great Schools" trilogy that you mentioned.