Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3?

Kirby Gotenks absorbed

Honestly?  I'd put the order as:

1. XBOX 360

2. Wii

3. PlayStation 3

Yes, the Wii is fun and intuitive, but there is a real lack of games with depth.  You've got Zelda, Resident Evil... and that's about it, at the moment.  There are a lot of cool downloads for old consoles, too... but I'd like to see more games designed specifically for the platform that aren't just a play on the whole Wiimote-gimmick.  Yes, you can wave it about, but if that's the onus of the entire game, I don't believe that's a game worth playing for very long.

The PS3 suffers from the same malady - lack of decent games.  In a few months, when some nice releases like Final Fantasy XIII, Home and MGS4 come out, it will be a console worth buying.  At the moment... not so much.  Built-in web browser plus free access to PSN is great, but with a limited catalogue of games that are actually worth paying for, I'm not spending my money on it yet.  The fact that it's a Blu-Ray player as well means I'm definitely getting one, though, as it looks like Blu-Ray is going to win the format war.  PS3 could well scale my list to the top eventually.

But right now, that position is held by the XBOX 360.  The vast catalogue of really good games, the excellent online gaming service XBOX Live (which isn't free, but worth the

So that's my opinion on the whole matter.  Feel free to disagree. :)

Indeed! xD, Wii rules all.

Wii does have a bunch of good games, Super mario Galaxy, Nights (can't remember rest of name), Super smash bros. brawl, Mario cart Wii, and a few cool upcoming games, I've even heard rumors of kingdom hearts III being for Wii. Still, I won't try to change your mind (LIES!!! xD ), Although there are a huge amount of junk games out for Wii, but PS3 Takes the prize for junk games.

Well with Smash Bro's and other Ninentdo releases along with Nights, Res evil,e.t.c the Wii is pretty nice. Basically, the fact that Nintendo games will be exclusive to it is at least enough to justify it's cheap price tag on 2200R (1$ = about 6.50R). Also, some of the wii-mote games out there that seem very gimmicky are still quite fun multiplayer.

Considering that I currently only play a handful of very old games, the point that a few great games is better than a host of mediocre and/or shallow ones (for me) is well demonstrated. With Nintendo's support it is guaranteed that the Wii shall receive a number of great, long lasting, to be classics. Considering it's price tag that more than suffices for me. Of course, Nintendo is only 1 company, but considering their presumably enormous revenue from DS's, Wii's and host of great games, they probably have a lot of money to pour into the development of future great titles.

Xbox 360 and PS3 are to focused on fps'. I'd say fps is one of the worst possible genres for those machines. Also, God of War style games along with Final Fantasy style games seem shallow and uninspired to me (though they have good atmosphere and story). If you took the story and atmosphere away from the FF series it would be completely sh!t. Pathetic combat along with pathetic leveling up.

Obviously these consoles have immense technical power, but it's pretty much being misdirected. Besides, game cube graphics are more than good enough for me. Past that level, I don't take much notice of graphics. If one remembers ZOE 1 and 2, FF12,e.t.c it should be clear how far 1 can stretch a consoles' graphical abilities. Considering the PS2 was the weakest of lot in terms of graphics, with the game cube being significantly better technically, and the Wii being a bit better than the game cube, one could theoretically develop games for the Wii that look far better than ZOE and FF12. Still, even if the console is not stretched as the PS2 was, it's graphics are sufficient that improvements would not have much effect for me.

As for up and coming titles, I have little knowledge of those and can't say much.

What I've found with even the best RPG's is that they always excel in one or two areas with the rest of the areas being terrrible.

FF: Great story, atmosphere and graphics. Terrible combat and leveling. No strategy and very little control. Also, extremely linear.

Fable: Great combat and freedom, but with poor story/atmosphere (which is very short) and the leveling system isn't much good either. So little to level in that you can easily have a character that has fully levelled in eveything well before the end of the game.

Oblivion: Much like the above.

Diabo style games: Great levelling which basically introduces some thinking to the game. Everything else is cr@p.

All RPG's tend to be like this. I've mentioned some greats that did some things really well. Lately, most RPG's (there haven't been many) have each copied some elements of these games but there hasn't been one that combines all these great elements to make a kick ass game.

As a matter of fact, most genres tend to be like this.

What I want to see is a game with the freedom of Oblivion, Arcanum, fallout, e.t.c, the combat/sword play of Soul Calibur 1/2, smash bros (absurd for and rpg perhaps but whatever), the ranged combat of Quake 3 and an advanced levelling system with many different and interesting abilities.

Obviously there won't be any game like this in the near future but atleast a game that combines the great elements of the various RPG's I've seen would be nice.

Unfortunately it seems that today's developers have no imagine and no interest. I alway considered Oblivion to be full of potential but ultimately half-assed and watered down to the point of being very boring. The spells are a good example... Basically, you can fire a ball with or without an area effect or you can cast a spell that affects you're self or a target on touch contact. After that you can add a limited variety of effects and that's it. No ability to fire multiple projectiles,change their shape, angle, e.t.c.

Then I downloaded some mods... damn do those make a difference. Everything becomes less half-assed and watered down. Now there are spells with star wars force like effects, a variety of combat moves, an assortment of stealth and alchemy trinkets, cool quests with large scale attacks, even a non-static town that you govern and control (well, I haven't been able to download ALL these mods yet though, still a great improvement though).

The point is that these ''humble'' few modders have demonstrated far greater inspiration and originality (less half-assedness) than apparently all of Bethesda Softworks.

''Wii is fun and intuitive, but there is a real lack of games with depth''

A great misfortune. One would imagine developers would utilize the Wii's intuitive and unique controls to make games with depth that is innacessible to the developers of games or other consoles. Alas.

''

but I'd like to see more games designed specifically for the platform that aren't just a play on the whole Wiimote-gimmick.  Yes, you can wave it about, but if that's the onus of the entire game, I don't believe that's a game worth playing for very long.''

Hear, Hear! Yet another example of the lack of both inspiration and originality of todays' developers. That Wii-mote could be used for some cool things, but they'd rather utilize it for cheap cash cow gimmicks.

Honestly?  I'd put the order as:

1. XBOX 360

2. Wii

3. PlayStation 3

Yes, the Wii is fun and intuitive, but there is a real lack of games with depth.  You've got Zelda, Resident Evil... and that's about it, at the moment.  There are a lot of cool downloads for old consoles, too... but I'd like to see more games designed specifically for the platform that aren't just a play on the whole Wiimote-gimmick.  Yes, you can wave it about, but if that's the onus of the entire game, I don't believe that's a game worth playing for very long.

The PS3 suffers from the same malady - lack of decent games.  In a few months, when some nice releases like Final Fantasy XIII, Home and MGS4 come out, it will be a console worth buying.  At the moment... not so much.  Built-in web browser plus free access to PSN is great, but with a limited catalogue of games that are actually worth paying for, I'm not spending my money on it yet.  The fact that it's a Blu-Ray player as well means I'm definitely getting one, though, as it looks like Blu-Ray is going to win the format war.  PS3 could well scale my list to the top eventually.

But right now, that position is held by the XBOX 360.  The vast catalogue of really good games, the excellent online gaming service XBOX Live (which isn't free, but worth the

The Wii, just for the potential alone. I've seen videos of amateur engineers setting up a truly 3-d display using the wiimote and sensor (or glasses with IR lights for the sensor) based on the angle and distance of your head (where the IR lights are). Nintendo will be able to do a lot of cool things with just a concept for VR displays.

http://www.hackaday.com/2007/12/21/wiimote-head-tracking-desktop-vr-display/

That is pretty much the no 1 reason I currently rank Wii no 1. With inspired developing the Wii could bring things to gaming that were completely impossible before. Might truly bring in the next generation of gaming. For me there have perhaps been two generation of gaming with one being 2D and the other being 3D and with more power hence allowing for new genres like FPS, strategy, e.t.c that are not possible/not very viable in 2D while also improving fundamentally existing genres (eg: fighting genre. Look at Soul Calibur's use of 3D and we can see the significance) along with the immersion one can experience in a game.

So that happened round about super nintendo/mega drive to N64/saturn/ps1/ pentium whatever. After that people spoke of PS2/Gamecube and PS3 being new generations of gaming but in my opinion the abilities of those generations' consoles did little to fundamentally change gaming, they just further enhanced eye candy...

So for me, the revolutions go like this: 2D to 3D to Wii-mote. The last might not end up revolutionary depending on how it's used. We should take note that the Wii is not neccesarily limited to wii-mote.

If games like singstar and guitar hero can afford to bring their own apparatus then Wii developers can and should do the same considering that unique control apparatus is kind of like, the Wii's thing y'know? (attempt to rip off Goldmember). The Wii is supposed to be very accesible to new control items.

The problem right now is that developers apparently only see the Wii as a cheap gimmick console for amusing ''casuals'' (seems synonymous with simple-minded fools for the developers it seems) with mini-game like games.

Well, of course one major reason for the lack of third party support for the Wii is it's graphical limitations. A developer can make a game for the PS3, utilizing it's extremely powerful graphical abilities and hence make an extremely good looking game with little effort. As is the tendency these days, this game will receive high ratings from reviewers regardless of it's substance. One only needs look at games like Black and Resistance Fall Of Man to see examples of this. Ever noticed how games nowadays seem to regularly score eight out of 10's (as long as they're on a powerful console)? The frequency of high scorer's is due to machines with greater power, especially since the latest generation is relatively fresh.

Now, alternatively, the developer can also make a game for the Wii. With it's limited graphical abilities, the developer will have to work hard with his technical skills to push the machine's graphical capabilities to it's limits  and on the art direction of the game to get something that looks comparable to something on the other consoles. Alternatively, he could use the unique features of the Wii and Wii-mote, perhaps even devising his own controller apparatus for the console, to create something inspired and unique.

But this would also take time and effort. Why not just use the most powerful machine and then be touted as a genius for how good you're game looks. ::)

It's annoying when a developer is rated so highly for producing a great looking game using the latest hardware (with the game only being playable with said hardware). The greatness comes from the hardware not the developer. When a great looking game like X that is reliant on hardware Y comes along, the developers of Y should be praised (sometimes) not X. If a game looks great because of the developers skill however, rather than because of his hardware, then the develop can be praised for that.

Not that graphics are an issue for me anymore anyway.

Ah, this reminds me so much of the slagging-off of the original Xbox. :)

Just remember that the PS3 is just starting to become profitable now, so you might all be eating your words in a few months time.  I'll be getting one soon just for the Blu-Ray player, but I'll wait for a version that isn't so half-assed like the 40GB incarnation is right now.

Rumours are even beginning to circulate that a re-make of Final Fantasy VII is on its way, and I'd buy the PS3 in a nanosecond if that were verified. :D

Just remember that the PS3 is just starting to become profitable now, so you might all be eating your words in a few months time.  I'll be getting one soon just for the Blu-Ray player

(all lies) You should buy a blue-ray player then. The way PS3 is going right = PS3 must die, I live in SA (South Africa) and Wii is selling really (REALLY) well... And also Sony screwed Sega... So I don't like them, also they lied about the graphical power of the PS2.

I spoke to one of my friends and he said that he's choose Graphics over Game-play, Asinine.

Well, this may seem fanboyish, but I don't think it is ;D :P. The X-box 360 is much cheaper than the PS3, with comparable power and with a few promising exclusives. Additionally, unlike PS3, it ALREADY does have a large list of games. Personally I think they're most sh!t (in some cases, I may be out of line considering my lack of having played these games) but a lot of people think games like Halo and Gears Of War are rather good. If you have much need for a blu-ray player then I suppose I see it's use.

It's not like the PS3 sucks or anything. In the future it will have enough exclusives to keep owners of said console happy. It's just that it seems the X-box offers similar without the added cost of waiting (for those who already own the PS3) and additional money. The PS3 does have the advantages of blu-ray and free net though. On the latter one should probably consider the features of X-box live that the PS3 does not have, I make no statements hear as all I know of X-box live is hearsay. On the former, that is one advantage the PS3 shares with no other. If you're going to get a blu-ray player and are not much of a console gamer then I suppose the PS3 makes sense.

Personaly, my brother procured a PS3 a few months ago, and for me it has been gathering dust all that time. I wouldn't be surprised if a X-box would have proceeded similarly. For me neither currently have good games (rendering their internet capabilites less than attractive) and I have no need of blu-ray, HD-DVD, e.t.c as my all viewing needs are met ''that'' way.