my dieing pc

it seems that gaming is becoming a part of the rich mans world..!!

i am not a young person. at my young days

at the 80s everyone in the block could playe new games just by getting an attari

playe station and few game tapes for less than a 100$ i mean those 10 mb tapes

were so funny and they had 10s of games on them..

even at the early 90s. any office pc could playe games like gods or wingcommader or prince of persia . i knew 10s of friends who used to playe 100s of those games. i never heard at

that time of something called video card or that anyone needs to upgrade vga or the

words like lag ,minimum pc req, ex... anyone could playe anything on that dos platforum

and with any pc..

then at the start of year 2000 this insane race started, i couldnt playe games emperor battle

of dune and so.. so i backed off for a while until 2004. i had some money and gaming

was about the only thing i was doing so i went for this pc :

p4 3ghz ht

1gig ddr ram

6200 xfx 256 mb

and at that time it played all games easy. it passed all games req tests

i know it has been 3 years but its no reason for a good 1000$ pc to die like this..

what i am supposed to get now? prices keeps getting bigger as this machine is getting

more advanced, should i get a new low end machine with the money that a common

person have? you know it will die next year that if it works at all at first place..

i look at the high end machine prices and its way too far now in this short period

of time.. knowing it will need to be upgreaded again after 2 years at the speed things

are going now....

i have a sad look at things now.. my tv is 10 yo and my satellite receiver is 10 yo

they still works fine man am i supposed to paye 2000$ every 2 years so that

my 10yo kid playe games? that is not logical , i tell you gaming is dieing and no one

will get the 8800 gts to playe dx 10 games lol.. peapol are way back now on todays

gaming speacialy the kids who will never be able to make the regular parents to do this

nonsense ..

i have bf2 and it runs well on my system. my young relatives from the famly gather at

my house to playe it and they see it as some kind of magic , non of them have a system

near to playing it. and they are all from upper middle class.

what is this graphics puzzle that they are playing on us? they can still make games

like quake wars enemy teritory that would still works with reasonable machines

i feel we are getting raped here :

microsoft+ea+nividia is the same person somehaw and i do think they are after

big profit from fake technology i bet directx 10 is the same as direct x 9 lol

am not realy poor am a normal middle class guy but this

acts of robing makes me feel poor coz i cant do one of the most silly thing in life

which is playe video games.

the pc world delevops far more quickly than anything else and there is a lot of new stuff all the time. of course, a new high-end pc is rather expensive if you buy it completely. I upgrade my (gaming-)pc constantly. by that I mean I buy the new stuff when needed or when it's at a good price level and sell the old one on ebay when I still get a good prive for it. so most of the time I have very good hardware but still only spend a few bucks during the year. of course this requires some knowledge about the market (what is yet to come, how will the prices change, when is an ideal time to change stuff).

you also have to consider what you really need. do you need a highend videocard as I do because I play on a 24" widescreen tft with 1920x1200 resolution or is a midrange videocard which doesn't even cost half as much as a highend chip sufficient?

however, gaming on a pc is never cheap. so if you don't want to spend much money on new hardware I would recommend you get a low priced pc with onboard graphics for all the things you need a pc for like internet, email, multimedia... and get a console for gaming. the good thing about consoles is that some of them (playstation 1 and 2 and hopefully the 3) last for ages. the ps2 was launched in november 2000 - that's almost 7 years ago! and there are still a lot of new games every month. of course they don't look as good as next gen consoles due to the hardware but almost every games runs smoothly on the console because the developers know that every ps2 owner has about the same hardware (I mean cpu, gfx, memory... not additional stuff like remote controls or ethernet-ports).

what is this graphics puzzle that they are playing on us? they can still make games

like quake wars enemy territory that would still works with reasonable machines

i feel we are getting raped here :

Make people need new stuff. You don't make money with cellphones that last for 5 years or more. It's no puzzle, just something also known as marketing.

the PC world develops far more quickly than anything else and there is a lot of new stuff all the time.

I don't really think it is. Although technologically the new SUN processor is a breakthrough on CPU's and memory, something Intel and AMD will soon copy. It's still just a processor. Ajax has been around for ages and now somehow is hip. Although companies try to make you feel something new you really need is coming out every quarter. I am still waiting for the first neural interface to play Ghost Recon. You have the darned thing in Germany, now supprise me and market that instead of the next all new graphics card or yet another OS interface that's transparent.

I myself have switched to console gaming for three years now. Owning a Playstation2 and XboX360 hardcore PC gaming is not something I like to return to. And in regard to PC hardware. Almost all 3 year old computers still function perfectly fine for everything else then gaming.

Like Vek already mentioned, if you like a specific game. See if the costs to upgrade your computer are worth it. Then buy your gaming computer to play that game. Unless you are a hardcore gamer, then just give in to your addiction and buy whatever is new ;)

i would agree on the game console thing. but am not exactly a full time gamer.

in my age i find joy in having an up to date machine. because i learn a lot from this

about the hardware and software and this gives me a feeling of knowledge in my society

so its more than a gaming  issue but if it will continue to move that fast i wont

be able to put up with it.. look at bf2 for ex games like this giant game used

to last 4 years before you see a sequel for it but just after 1 year bf1142 came up with

higher PC req. and bf2 was old news

look at guys like erjin and scar i mean they are like computer gods but they just

upgraded last year and what? direct 10 is out and their cards is history

i know vik will say he would sell and buy. but i don't live near by were they

trade on ebay. i mean to ship something like this to the middle east will

cost you 2 times its cost that if you find a buyer,

well Oslo am not smart like vek and scar to make such deals.

by the way haw good is that games consols? i mean what cards and ram they

have in such way of lasting long and have low prices?  :-

even if i playe on game consol i will never get used to the joy stick i playe

on keyboard and mouse since the world began

It's not as bad as it may seem. For 1900 Euro's you can get a Dell XPS which will last for two years even with games. If you get the stuff yourself you can buy it for about 1300 Euro's.

About consoles, the hardware of consoles will be consistent for the upcoming 3-5 years. That way you know you'll be able to play all the games which will be released for that platform. With computers, you might need to play new games on lower resolution / detail settings.

issue but if it will continue to move that fast i wont

be able to put up with it.

I like to disagree that it's moving fast as you are suggesting.

• 2 weeks later...

About consoles, the hardware of consoles will be consistent for the upcoming 3-5 years. That way you know you'll be able to play all the games which will be released for that platform. With computers, you might need to play new games on lower resolution / detail settings.

ok what about game consoles ? like vek said i dont want a playe station from year 2000

haw about an xbox 360? will it lag? i cant playe new games on high resolution?

and why not? is it weak? 

i made a little search and i cant understand?? haw many kinds of xbox there is? what should i get.

http://search.ebay.com/xbox-360_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300

it say 1300$$$  ?? thats more expensive than a high end gaming pc

here it say the elite xbox is 450

http://www.toysrus.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2268831&cp=2255974.2259873

so what was the 1300$$ for??

dose xbox have all new games like quake wars et??? and multi player???

i know so many questions but please help

The newest generation of game consoles are

Microsoft Xbox 360

Nintendo Wii

Playstation 3

They are all about the same in graphics wise (same generation). I think the PS3 is overprices, and from what I hear on the internet the wii is the most popular.

This  wikipedia article will be of some help.

Your local big box stores should sell them.

i dont get it here it say :

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/featu...ultiplayer.htm

Xbox Live on Xbox 360 also offers a free level of service called Xbox Live Silver which, while not allowing multiplayer gameplay, does offer gamers the ability to create a gamer card and gamertag as well as chat with people on their Friends List and access most of the great content on Xbox Live Marketplace.

_ it say : NOT ALLOWING ONLINE GAME PLAYE.

i dont want massively and crap commercial talk

please tell me DO I GET FULL ONLINE GAMING?? OR NOT? just a yes or no

Features Xbox 360 Elite Xbox 360 Xbox 360 Core

Exterior finish Matte black + chrome Matte white + chrome Matte white

Detachable hard drive 120 GB 20 GB None

Controller Wireless, 2.4 GHz Wireless, 2.4 GHz Wired, 3 m breakaway cord

Ethernet cable Yes Yes No

Xbox 360 Headset Yes Yes, excluding Oceania, Mexico No

Xbox Media Remote No Launch (all regions), Oceania, Mexico No

HDMI (v1.2) Out Port Yes Yes[20] (From August 2007) No

Component cables[1] Yes Yes No

Composite cables[1] Yes Yes Yes

TOSLINK output port[1] Yes Yes No

Stereo RCA cables[1] Yes Yes Yes

Separate TOSLINK and RCA out cable[7] Yes No No

Xbox Live Silver Yes Yes Yes

Month of Xbox LIVE Gold Yes Yes N

Maybe it's just me, but Ethernet cables, ports, RCA cables etc. pretty much equals a damn overpriced PC with only certain types of games to play. I'm sure they have some very nice games and all,but for around $500 or more bucks I could seriously turn mine into a bad ass gaming PC with far more available games to enjoy. But that's coming from someone who likes to upgrade and work on PC's for gaming.It's really all those top 3 consoles are, over priced PC type consoles. I bet the Ethernet cables that normally cost about a buck at newegg costs a crapload. Oh wait, I see you have to upgrade the console for that puppy. Blah, I'll stick with my own gaming PC.

[tt]gryphon[/tt] started with an XboX360 core pack. A network cable is laying around somewhere so no need for that.  Later I upgraded with storage, and a wireless expansion pack (wireless controllers remote and charger) so now I have spend more on the core pack then I would have buying the premium version in the first place.

I still like to purchase new hardware, although the main focus of it is not gaming. That's why I shifted to consoles. Under my TV the PS2 as a 7 year old console still has it's place next to a 360. Main resone for it are the games which more suit my taste.

ok what about game consoles ? like vek said i dont want a playe station from year 2000

haw about an xbox 360? will it lag?

All games released on a certain platform will not lag (supposedly, just look at Command & Conquer Tiberium Wars for the 360 :P ) That way you know that as long as games for the platform are released you can play them.

It's really all those top 3 consoles are, over priced PC type consoles

Looking at it that way your iPod is just an overrated mobile battery. Your computer an  calculator and a game console hardware specifically designed for a function. Something PC software can learn a lot from in regard to compatibility.

Being a console gamer or PC gamer is a personal choice. You either like it, or you don't.

Right now, most college's I have are buying WII's.

500$ ???!!!  omg scar you are  weird and we all know that lol..

i am all over the place and everyone know you need a 1000$ to build a decent gaming PC that

will last few years :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131180

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130080

anything less than this is a waste of time....

the console is for my nephew not for me and his dad agreed to pay for gold multi player

and a 350$  for the premium 20g hard drive 360 xbox

now he and his dad don't have the smallest idea on building a PC and his dad was going

to buy him a retardd Siemens PC for 400$ but i sloped him at last minuets

and the guy is no were near paying a 1000$

man u need a directx 10 card so u better get the gts from the start or just

buy for the console.

Uhh, sorry but you do NOT need a grand to upgrade what you already have to something better. And I'm fully aware of Newegg since that's the only place I buy from. I'm talking about what system I already have Spicy. Not a whole new  PC.  ::) BTW, those Newegg links you posted were crap price wise. there are so many ways to buy from them it's just unreal. Combo's,Open-box Items,Rebates and it just goes on and on. I don't buy Items on their main page, I take my time and shop for hours on end for the best prices. And they are to be found. No one Has to have a damn 8800gtx, it would be nice too, but it's not a necessity for gaming.The 500 clams I was talking about if you read the above post was for upgrading what system I have now, that is very upgradable.

Being a console gamer or PC gamer is a personal choice. You either like it, or you don't.

Right now, most college's I have are buying WII's.

I totally agree.

Anyway sorry for going way off topic here but I have a question for Gryphon. I have a 7300 TC LE that came with just a heatsink and ran sort of hot. I took off the heatsink, put on a nice roundish

heatsink/fan from a 6600 I had used some artcic silver. It now keeps it super cool, but the sensor says it is at around 280C. Any I idea what I did wrong? its not even warm to the touch, and I can play BF2 for hours on end without a hitch.

upgrading ure PC is ok i guess.. but he don't have a PC and we are not pros like you scar in

shopping so he will need a 1000$ to start from the ground and i didn't say a gtx but the 8800gts

is the right thing to get in term of lasting few years in this insanity .

one more question please : the xbox 360 is connected to a tv? any tv? and can it be hooked

to a PC monitor? thank you

Did you notice the sensors location when you changed the heatsink ? I presume the sensor is on your graphics card and not on your motherboard..

is it aroung 280 degrees all the time ?

I think I have it right connection wise now on the card. it's now at 42C constant.Not sure how it was so wrong begin with. But yea, it even went as high as 400C once,and all the while it was cool to the touch. Something wasen't connected like it should,ve been I guess.But yea, it's all good now. had to be a bad/wrong conn. on the card i'm assuming. I've checked it with Everest and PC Wizard,and both say 42C or around that.

Depends on which inputs your monitor supports.

Samsung for example has monitors which accept VGA, Coax, scart and some other nice stuff.

For TV sets your television has to accept scart or composite inputs. Almost all TV's do.

If you only have a VGA connection on your monitor I would save yourself the trouble.