How to use the 1 gig onboard lan.

My board has a onboard Nforce 1 gig Mbps. lan port. When I try to use it, it will say in network connections speed 1 gig but only for a few seconds.After that it disconnects. Is this due to my ISP? not being able to support the speed? Thanks in advance.

Here's the specs of my board.....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131530R

On the specs this is what I'm referring to...."Onboard LAN

Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps"

Scar..

Your computer is capable of handling 1000mbps.. or 1 gbps.

But the switch you are using, probably does not..

Neither the ISP would support 1 gbps connections.

The only thing you could use it for is when you buy yourself a switch (for example cisco catalyst 2960) with 1gbps ports.

Then you can use 1gpbs on your internal network. This would mean you can transfer data quick between your computer and a different computer/server in your network with a 1000mbps network connection card.

Got it?!

ps.

Some large companies (which have also a huge dataconnection to the internet) can choose to use NICs supporting 10/100/1000 mbps.

When they do so, they probably use fiberoptic in their network infrastructure between switches,

their accesslayer switches then could support up to 1 gbps, so the end user has a very fast connection to the inter/intra-network.

Thanks man. I'm using DSL extreme 6.0 I thought maybe it was the modem. I have the option in advance to change to auto negotiate 1000Mbps, but I see what you mean. thanks.

I guess I really can't complain it's almost at 1 gig now....

Downstream Rate (Kbits/Sec)

Upstream Rate (Kbits/Sec)

BTW what is this switch and how does it work?

Scar..

Your computer is capable of handling 1000mbps.. or 1 gbps.

But the switch you are using, probably does not..

Neither the ISP would support 1 gbps connections.

The only thing you could use it for is when you buy yourself a switch (for example cisco catalyst 2960) with 1gbps ports.

Then you can use 1gpbs on your internal network. This would mean you can transfer data quick between your computer and a different computer/server in your network with a 1000mbps network connection card.

Got it?!

Nice example, the switch alone is about 1000 dollars. Buy a desktop 1gig switch for about 100 Dollar and you have the same result. Makes less noise to in your living room. ;)

scar5150,

8124 Kbits per second is hardly close to 1gb.

1024 Kb equals 1Mb, and you need about 1024 of those to get 1 Gb.

Unless you have fiber dug into your home from your ISP your fastest internet connection will be about 40Mb per sec. With fiber you can get up to 1 gig but then you pay about 500 Dollar a month just to get connected.

What is a switch.

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,290660,sid7_gci213079,00.html

Like Phoenix mentioned. To fully use the 1gb speed of your network adapter you will need two 1gb endpoints. You already have on.

Downstream Rate (Kbits/Sec)

Upstream Rate (Kbits/Sec)

Your downstream is 8124 Kilo BITS! not BYTES! (are you sure its 8124 and not 8192??)

Note that 8 bits is one byte.

and now we go on mathematics..  and i try to keep it simple..

8124 kilobits devided by 8 (because 8 bits is one byte) is 1015,5 kilobytes.

1 megabyte is 1024 kilobytes

so this makes your download theoreticly approximately 1 megabyte per second.

As gryphon said.. you need 1000 of them to get at 1 GBPS

Concerning you upload..

its 518 kilobits per second.

518 devided by 8 again equals 64,75 Kilobytes per second

and thats where i start thinking its rather a slow upload against a relative fast download...

I hope you understand my mathematics ;)

I see what your saying. Anyhoo, this is the average dsl speed I get when the other PC is running also....

Speed Test Result

6450 / 435 (Kbps)

(787.3 / 53.2 KB/sec)

Compared to the average of 562 tests from bellsouth.net:

* download is 98% better, upload is 21% better

8124 kilobits devided by 8 (because 8 bits is one byte) is 1015,5 kilobytes.

1 megabyte is 1024 kilobytes

so this makes your download theoreticly approximately 1 megabyte per second.

As gryphon said.. you need 1000 of them to get at 1 GBPS

Yes, but as we all know, Phoenix, we're talking about the BITS, and not BYTES, so when talking about how "many" of his connection you need to get 1 Gbps, you must do the following:

His 8124 kbps = 8,124Mbps. (1000kbps = 1Mbps)

That means his speed is 0.8% of a 1Gbps connection. (Hehe, it's that slow when compared)

Also, he needs "only" 123.1 of those connections to achieve 1Gbps.

I know,but they(Asus and Nforce 4 ultra from Nvidia site) make it sound as if you can just plug it in and enjoy the speed.http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce4_ultra.html  I think I forgot to mention here that my Lan DSL speed is 100.0 Mbps. the other PC(wireless one) runs at 54 Mbps. I hope AT&T will upgrade thier speeds in the near future.