Logitech MX mouse battery dying

Hey, I have a MX1000 Logitech mouse and it's about 2 1/2 years old and the battery is dying. It's taking less time to go to a red bar than before, and I was wondering if there was a way to replace the battery or jimmy a new one in, or something to avoid having to buy another 80 dollar mouse! It's lasted me a good long time, and I'm just trying to find a way to keep it going.

give logitech a call , they were more than happy to replace my force3dpro joystick (that had been discontinued)

i've even heard a few ppl that had their keyboard replaced because of the text wearing off lol!

problem is: mx 1000 production has been offically suspended. so even with a great support like the logitech support there's only a slim chance they can still help you. but give it a shot, usa is quite larger than germany and maybe they got some left or can replace the battery somehow.

edit: for some reason many seller in germany do list the product as available again. I don't knwo if it's the last bunch of mice they could get or if the production is continuing again. the last official statement I got from a logitech supporter about 2 months ago was like "sorry, mx1000 has been replaced with the new mx revolution series and will no longer be produced"

It might be time to switch to a newer one, though. I have MX 1000 and G7, and the latter is just as precise, but much lighter and comes with two batteries where one is always charging.

Even the G7 is out of production (at least not available in Norway), so you'd have to go for an MX Revolution. I haven't tried it, but I will get the chance in a week or so.

Back to the core of the topic...

As the others say, Logitech's support is usually quite good, and if they have a spare mouse, perhaps you'll get one.

I don't like the G7 or any other mouse with that design because it doesn't fit my hand. mx1000 is the best, just like it grew out of my hand with that perfect shape. the mx revolution is quite uncomfortable compared with a mx1000 - at least in my hand. and the additional side wheel is perfectly useless because you can't even scroll from left to right with it (which would have made sense in huge excel files ranging from like field A to field KA or something like that (before you ask: yes such files DO exist e.g. at our work)). so all that wheel does: bother you! the rest of the mouse is quite nice though. anyway... there are other good mice but none just like the mx1000, which is the ultimate mouse for me/my hand in years.

I guess it's a matter of taste. The G7 and Revolution fit me better than the MX1000, which I actually dumped for its lacking ease of use. The Revolution, which I've now tested, is a lot lighter than the MX1000, and lies better in my hand. I can agree with you about the thumb scroller. It could easily have been dumped. I won't buy it, though, as my G7 still deserves more loving from my gentle right hand.

Not to mention, the G7 had a special edition version with black/carbon colours and a much better handgrip (made of a different material than the original). It also came with a transport case, which has been invaluable to me when traveling with my laptop.

I might try out the Revolution, and see if it is as comfortable as the mx1000. As for the thumb scroll on the mx1000, I use it extensively to scroll back and forth in web pages. Very useful for speed surfing hehe :) I'll let you know what Logitech has to say!

That's when you know it's time to switch and offer a few nights to use your VB skills and install a SQL server. :)

unfortunately we can't do that because very often these are just reportings or analysis or something like very big mediaplans with a lot of maths in it. welcome to the world of online-marketing  ;)

of course we also use databases, sql, self-written applications and whatever other crazy small technical stuff the folks are coding at our place but for some stuff we just need excel and sometimes these files really get huge - in both directions  ;D

unfortunately we can't do that because very often these are just reportings or analysis or something like very big mediaplans with a lot of maths in it.

I don't know who told you that or what your admin does although that's just wrong. you can use Excel (or any other office appcation) with mssql and even mysql without the user even knowing he uses a server for the data storage. And if your company just like mine has over 150 interlinked excel files over 10MB per file holding 7 years of accounting data. Running an update will be 'just a few' seconds faster with a sql server. not even to mention putting all the original excel files into sql server took allmost 5 whole minutes... ;-)