An idea for Dune 3

Mahdi

Well, I beat Dune ` yesterday. I thought that it was pretty good. Kind of like Lords of the Realms, if you have played that game. I was thinking that something like that, except with the option of being Paul, Feyd, or some Ordos guy, and then have the battles be RTS with you in command of your troops, and also giving you units from dune2k and new units would be a great idea for Dune 3. Then you could also have an RPS aspect, which is you take control of an espionage team and search through Harkonnen, Ordos, or Atreides bases with them, assasinating important people, that kind of stuff. They could make it a Mixture of Lords of the realm, Dune2k, and rainbow 6. What do you think?

Is a good idea. I suggested that earilier, the heroes option. I think it is more personal and you actually assume the role of a person. And I do like the idea of having RPS style when doing espionage missions. What I suggested eariler though was that Dune 3 be in the perspetvie of each unit. "You see what the Unit sees" in 3D.

Take a look at this picture of a Dune2k rendering. Thats what I mean. More upclose and personal. Total 3D.

http://www.dune2k.com/images/dune2000/misc/big-imarch.jpg

Imagine the acutal game being like that.

For Multiplayer you would have the option of playing it as an RTS like dune2k, or you could play the full version of the game. They would have to add another house, maybe corrino with Irulan the playable character to even it out.

Personally. I'd prefer that Dune3 stays as RTS game. But the heroes are good idea. Adding them would really give a great depth to the game. Also there should be more complicated missions, like assasination mentioned above. Something similar to StarCraft, mission that would carry out the grand story in some concrete way. Missions with several goals and purposes, even some secondary objectives thus making accomplishment of them all unnecessary.

Exactly! There are 3 main things the next Dune game needs: 3D deformable terrain, COMPLETELY different houses (I mean everything different, buildings, units, even the way in which they build stuff) and a more dynamic non-linear storyline with heroes.

To be honest Edric, i like how the units are now. i would just like more "modern war" type units too. like artilelry, big guns (those to take out tanks), anti aircraft, etc.

and the game should be in total 3d like dark reign 2 or force commander.

Eight(8) houses? Well, why not, but a...it's many.

There are few ideas for Dune3...

#1 Sandstorms

Think about it. What could be more profound addition than the sandstorms which, I imagine, are quite usual on the face of Arrakis. They cause electric storms which would effect the electric equipment, unless protected from it. They would make moving slower and would make it hard to se units inside of such a storm. They would also damage units/building and spice fields would be burier and revealed. They could also bury rock formations, units and...stuff.

This would certainly require more advanced engine but it could be one of those revolutionary new ideas in RTS games.

#2 Medic is a basic unit

Within all armed forces ever to be made by humanity there has always been medics. Why the future would be different? The medics are no special units, they're the very basic foundation of any army. If you can't patch up your units when they're injured, you'll soon notive you ahve no army. Every house should have them, medics should be matter of course.

Continue with this, next(#3) great idea, please. I'd be interested to hear it.

Well 8 Houses isn't that many when you think about it. Dune2/2k already had at least six.

In Dune 2 you play as the Atreides, Ordos, and Harkonnen and if you have ever played Super Dune 2 you can play as the Mercenary, Fremen or Corrino.

In Dune2k you had the Mercenary's, Smugglers, and Corrino involved with somewhat different buildings.

I think those would be enough, I would have liked to see campaigns for those Houses since they have never been done before and are just as interesting as the original three. At least have the option to play them in multi with their differing buildings...

Well, it's many, but not too much. Let's see...

TA: 2 sides

C&C: 2 sides

SC: 3 sides

Dune: 3 sides

It's usual that in RTS games only has about 2-3 factions. But why not more? They should be considerably different, in order to really make them interesting. It might prove to be hard to come up with ideas for 8 different houses. All of them should have something unique.

But, it can be done. Just doesn't seem very likely, unfortunately.

#4 Fog of War

This belongs into category of simple but working ideas. If not even a revolution to RTS genre. WW doesn't seem to think so...where they should. For this is the one thing that makes a game truly more complex and demands more tactical approach. Ordos would really have use for their advanced espionage and saboteur tactics, would there be FoW.

It isn't realistic that once your unit has be blown away in enemy base. You can still magically see every sand flea till the end of time. And nothing can blur you perfect vision. WW...please.

Guest Viper

If you look at Age Of Empires II it has 13 (?) sides.

with an ex-pack that adds 3 (?) more

and the next dune game needs a few things:

Ice combat (there are ice caps) where your units would slide around etc

Air to air combat not that crap ATA SC had

#6 More unique technology for houses

Yes, I'm running our of ideas...already:) But it's not that bad, probably just said one too many times.

In Dune2k we have few special units, or special ability to each of the houses. There should be more. The buildings should look considerably different, not maybe the wind trap but some others. And you would only have very few basic units, others would be house-only. The main themes: Noble Atreides, Insidious Ordos, Evil Harkonnen should be carried out with more detail. It's pretty well done in Dune2k, but you could add some special units to make Atreides even more noble and ordos even more insidious and....you know.

If all ordos units would be little faster, all harkonnen units little heavier, all atreides units little...intermediate(?). Of course if it would be done so, Harkonnen could prove to be much easier to play. Only those with intrest to more complex tactics would chooce the ordos.