space sim

thesnake

hi.. i love space Sim games so much and i played all wing commander games and free space games

but it seems that these kinds of games are not being made any more i don't know why..

there is nothing better in the gaming world than landing one of those fighters on your

mothership..

i  searched games site but i cant find any new games specially for on line gaming..

is there any aces in this base that knows any good and new space Sim game that have

big multiplayer community in it?

the replyes shows exactly the problem i am having.. i am surly not looking for old games

if i did i would playe freespace2 online if i want to . http://fs2netd.game-warden.com/

i want a new generation game that playes like wingcommander or freespace2. but looks like there isn't any..

strange thing they stopped making those specially after the huge success of wingcommander and

freespace series..

as for eve i find your reply strange.. i thought eve was an rpg  right?? its not a flight Sim combat

were u drive fighters and bombers.. but again maybe i am wrong..

but anyway i don't want to pay a monthly fee. i don't have credit card anyway..

i can just buy the game and that's all.. thank u anyway

EVE is indeed an RPG and not a space flight simulator. You can't control your own vessel (except for telling it where to go to, what to target and what to fire on), and it seems to deal more with economics/politics than space simulation. True, it may be a good game (you can even try it for a week for free), but not what you are looking for.

It seems the current market is a little dry on space sims, though one game I could recommend you is Freelancer. The game is a few years old now, it is a bit of a mix between the Freespace and X-Universe games. The combat is not as complex as Freespace, but it has the necessary elements. Trade only has an additional role. You can buy ships, weapons, shields etc. You're free to roam around in different solar systems, some inhabited (and not dangerous), others filled with pirates. Also present are disrupting nebulae effects and hazards (mines, radiation and such) Also not seen in many games are planets that play a bigger role than just background objects (you can land on some of them, and get destroyed in their atmosphere)

I think the environments are the best thing about Freelancer.

olso the same problem.. i wish to see a game like freespace or wing commander but with the use

of the new generation graphics (not that i have a good pc  :P) 

if i wanted old games i would playe freespace2 or wing commander but i only like new games..

with so much games in the market and not a single space sim game ...i say its more than just little

dry, i think they stoped making this kind of games for ever,which is the thing i don't understand

Concerning graphics, it is better looking than Freespace 2. It has very nice background and nebulae effects. EVE models are a bit more detailed than Freelancer models, but Freelancer models have much smoother edges.

well anything can look better than freespace2, man freespace2 is older than emperor. what i am really looking for is something new . like the release

of fear and need for speed carbon. something that would bring pilots from all over the world,

in big battels like bf2 maps 64/64.. were u can use the big ships and the destroyers and

fly 10s of fighters.

well maybe get ranked Oslo and command wings and squadrons..even motherships and carriers

and make the new graphics cards go to the limit.. that would really be a fun thing to do..

but thanks anyway  :-

by the way i was looking at freelancer files (u know were lol) and it was only about 700mb

well if we say freespace2 is about 2g of space then i find it strange that freelancer have

better graphics than free space

Freespace 2 uses much of that storage for pre-rendered movies and audio briefings. But better check some screenshots for yourself, and judge.

A MMO next-gen space sim is something I would welcome as well, but I'm afraid there is no such game at the moment.

Imagine a game where the distances between stations/planets would be huge and were such forces as gravity would really play a part.

Freespace 2 uses much of that storage for pre-rendered movies and audio briefings. But better check some screenshots for yourself, and judge.

Imagine a game where the distances between stations/planets would be huge and were such forces as gravity would really play a part.

the use of new gen  engines phisics would be so wounderfull in this

games genere. i cant understand why everyone decided to kill the space sim games were there is so

much silly fps and rts games in the market..

there nothing better than bursting your afterburners out of the carrier hanger and lunch into the

space..am just addicted to it.

maybe space sim games are hard to make and in the same time they just sell like any other game in

the market.so it could be easy to not making it and make the easy games.

i mean with all the open space phisics and ships blue prints.and weapons targetting systems

actually it is a complicated business..

i think the older guys like in wingcommander games used to make it because of their passion

to this art..and was always easyer to make games like prince of Persia and get over with the day.

but in the present i see things are diffrent.there is no time to put your talents to the test.

big games like bf2 are being made by the 10s each year. and only after few mounthes

they make newer ones like bf2142..

at the time were games like dune and free space are doomed to end.

well timenn,it look that you are the only aceofbase around here and you understand my feelings.

thanks for this nice game buddy(freelancer).. i got it now and am playing it.. its a great game

and i can even playe the multiplayer and there is a lot of peapol so i owe you one .  :)

i think the space is a place for great opportunity for man kind.. and now the games space

is empty. and there is great chance for company's like  ea and sierra to invade this space

with a huge space Sim multiplayer games better than making fps shooters games one after the other

only to release them for free after a couple of mounthes

yes. there isn't any.. except for the the good old freelancer which was the last game in this genere  . what a strange thing.. i mean space sim have a wide popularity and space Sim games are one of the best and most beautifully kinds of games  ever. and everyone knows that..

but i cant believe it Oslo that this genere just died like this all together

in fact freelancer have a funny story which i forgot to tell it to you..

it was originally started by this guy who is called Robert ..

and this guy was not just any guy.. its the man who invented and made wincommander

games.. surly microsoft payed him millions and made him work for  them

to start a franchise of a wide multiplier space Sim game which have combat and trade carrires in some endless systems... in one of the bigger and most hardcore space Sim  games

ever//

OK until this everything was OK . Robert made about half the project and

then they guy wanted more money or had a problem with bill gates lol so

he got fierd..

the game was allready being set to a release date so they didn't know what

to do at Microsoft coz non of them knows anything about space sim..

so they didn't complete the ships or the targetting systems or the weapons

i mean the game looks so simple and at the other hand they started

to add a role playing parts to the game.. making it more like adventures

games.. and there it is. they released it.. its not a real space Sim game

but its fun.. and they closed the door on it for ever and ended the series

and the genere..

... so they didn't complete the ships or the targetting systems or the weapons ...

That story explains some of the stuff. If you search carefully in the Freelancer interface you can see some leftovers of targetting subsystems. If you have selected a ship (or station) and mess around with the buttons in the lower right you will eventually be able to select different subsystems.

Freelancer indeed lacks a few things of space sim combat (if you compare it to Freespace 2, for example) But then it makes up part of it by having a rich environment to explore in.

Both Star Trek and Star Wars won't do good as backstories for a true space simulator. I think it would be best if the designers would write their own backstory on their universe. That would give them the liberty you would need.

As for space to roam in: 3 (x,y,z) double float values ( = 3*64 bits) would give an area of 1 lightyear by 1 ly by 1 ly with still a precision  of a few centimeters. No excuse on why long distances shouldn't be possible!

1_ as i am deeper in freelancer maultiplayer space i am having a lot of fun and i found a lot of

peapol so i want to thank you timenn for this very good advice i owe u one.. i mean this is exactly what i am looking for...

That story explains some of the stuff. If you search carefully in the Freelancer interface you can see some leftovers of targetting subsystems. If you have selected a ship (or station) and mess around with the buttons in the lower right you will eventually be able to select different subsystems.

i read this at  http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/freelancer/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary

u can view it for more details.

Both Star Trek and Star Wars won't do good as backstories for a true space simulator. I think it would be best if the designers would write their own backstory on their universe. That would give them the liberty you would need.

As for space to roam in: 3 (x,y,z) double float values ( = 3*64 bits) would give an area of 1 lightyear by 1 ly by 1 ly with still a precision  of a few centimeters. No excuse on why long distances shouldn't be possible!

i dont understand all this maybe its just my english

It's nice you have found a game that partially satisfied your needs. I didn't know the online community was still thriving that well, though I also didn't think it would have completely died.

I played it online for a while a few years ago. Though the thing that mostly bothered me was that servers had modified the original starting conditions (Starflier + 2000 credits) and had you start with a vast sum of money, because the beginning (small weak ship vs. strong enemies) was usually very exciting once you got good at the game.

i dont understand all this maybe its just my english

Don't mind me, I was just thinking out loud if a game universe spanning a literal billion km (or miles) would be technically possible (which I concluded should be)

the downloaded version works like the original because the game generate a serial number after

install.. i got into a classic server were u start with 6000 credit and a small ship but

i bought a trade ship and i will not fight before i make lots of money through mining and trading

and i like that part in the game because u dont have to fight all the time..

now that i am trying the multiplayer.. i see that this games lags.. worse than emperor

at start i thought it was me but when i asked others they confirm that they olso lag...

just like all old games i think.

but its playble anyway i guess